Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yellow targa

Aus del 68 911S

Wonder how well the RHD conversion was done ? Seems to look OK in the photos and supporting documents all help.
    Interesting to see what it sells for.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Is that a recovered vehicle? VIN Number has been restamped.
      Peter D

TYP901# 233
      911T Coupe 68
      911E Targa 73
      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Are you sure Pete? I thought they had just cleaned it up for the photo
        Mickc

65’ 912/6
        70’ 911T coupe
        00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Sold for $61,300 plus (I assume) 7.5% buyers commission.
          wonder if it will show up on our Forum with a new owner ?
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

What’s your thoughts on the VIN Phil?
            Mickc

65’ 912/6
            70’ 911T coupe
            00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

I take that back Mick, it’s a 71 targa. I shouldn’t post when I’m half asleep late at night.
              Last edited by PD Targa; 30-06-21, 12:17 PM.
              Peter D

TYP901# 233
              911T Coupe 68
              911E Targa 73
              911E Coupe 72 (sold)
              1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Mick, I didnt see a problem with the VIN as both the stamp in the trunk area and the aluminium plate on the front shut panel . both look original.
                I didnt look up the VIN number records to verify it was a Euro delivery but all other clues seem to confirm it was a LHD german car. One of the receipts also showed a VIN and Engine number and the engine number looked correct for a 71.
                Overall I think it looked like a reasonable car with many original bits. It did have a door armrest with a pull handle fitted to the passengers door as this would have originally had a plain armrest being a LHD build. Wipers also parked on the LHS and had not been "converted" to park on RHS. I am also assuming that if the car was converted in the UK around 1981, then parts such as RHD dash were still available as were other RHD conversion bits.

All that said, it would still be nice to inspect it in the metal and up on a hoist as I have owned several Targas and know the areas to look closely at and what's required to get them back in good shape. When Sean posted the link to the auction, I did for a minute, consider buying it at around the $50K mark but dont really need a new project and downsizing my home means I lose my 4-car garage soon.

Anyway, what did you think the issue was with the VIN ?
                sigpicPhil Lack
                R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Thanks for your replys Phil and Pete. I didn’t see any issues with the VIN either, but when I woke up this morning and saw my winning bid and Pete’s concerns, my heart skipped a beat…
                  Anyway, looks like I have added another old car to the garage so I can feel guilty about not driving it
                  Last edited by mickc; 30-06-21, 05:38 PM.
                  Mickc

65’ 912/6
                  70’ 911T coupe
                  00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

So Mick, you did end up actually buying this car ? Bid history says you are located in Proserpine, Qld. Is that right ? Car needs to be collected in Dandenong, VIC. Do you have someone local helping you organise the shipping ?

Will be interesting to her your comments on the car once you get hold of it and drive it. Also keen to hear how good the conversion looks and if it was done properly with factory parts.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by mickc View Post
                      Thanks for your replys Phil and Pete. I didn’t see any issues with the VIN either, but when I woke up this morning and saw my winning bid and Pete’s concerns, my heart skipped a beat…
                      Anyway, looks like I have added another old car to the garage so I can feel guilty about not driving it
                      Good work mickc.
                      Honest description in the listing,
                      hopefully you scored a good deal on a longhood.

Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                        So Mick, you did end up actually buying this car ? Bid history says you are located in Proserpine, Qld. Is that right ? Car needs to be collected in Dandenong, VIC. Do you have someone local helping you organise the shipping ?

Will be interesting to her your comments on the car once you get hold of it and drive it. Also keen to hear how good the conversion looks and if it was done properly with factory parts.
                        Yes I bought it. I only saw it for sale due to Mrar’s post last night, 1hr before it ended.
                        I sold my last Targa for 3 times what I paid for this , so I’m happy with the risk I’ve taken!
                        Hopefully the car carrier can collect from Grays depot, if not, I may sing out for help. Will update this thread once I get it home

Also…First thing I need to do is change that front apron back to original, so if anyone has one please let me know
                        Last edited by mickc; 30-06-21, 07:18 PM.
                        Mickc

65’ 912/6
                        70’ 911T coupe
                        00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

That front apron is possibly a steel "S" spoiler and very valuable. It may well have been an option on the original car. It could also be a fibreglass repro but you will see when you get the car. I am surprised it sold for a relatively low price given the interest in long hood 911's these days. I agree with Sean that the description and pics were very honest. I am also sure you will be able to contact the mechanic who did a lot of the recent work as their name was on one of the receipts that was in the pics. I looked them up and they are in or around the Frankston area.

Not sure if you will sell this Targa for 3 times what you paid but it could well be worth at least twice your cost. Looking forward to hearing more about the car once you get it home.

sigpicPhil Lack
                          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                            That front apron is possibly a steel "S" spoiler and very valuable. It may well have been an option on the original car. It could also be a fibreglass repro but you will see when you get the car. I am surprised it sold for a relatively low price given the interest in long hood 911's these days. I agree with Sean that the description and pics were very honest. I am also sure you will be able to contact the mechanic who did a lot of the recent work as their name was on one of the receipts that was in the pics. I looked them up and they are in or around the Frankston area.

Not sure if you will sell this Targa for 3 times what you paid but it could well be worth at least twice your cost. Looking forward to hearing more about the car once you get it home.
                            I believe the front apron is fibreglass.

Also I wasn’t implying this car will be worth 3x, simply making the point that I think I’ll be happy with it either way given the low entry cost.

I have always wanted an Irish green targa hot rod and given this car will never be praised by purists, it’s probably the car to do it too!
                            Mickc

65’ 912/6
                            70’ 911T coupe
                            00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Great buy, well done!

Comment

Working...
                              X