• Show
Clear All

1973 911S Targa RHD with Webbs

1973 Porsche 911S Targa 2.4S

Chassis no: 9113310698

Engine no: 6331653

Current registration and WOF

Estimate: $320,000 - $350,000 NZD

It was bettered only in performance terms by the 2.7RS, being the final year of non-impact bumpers and lightweight cars. The ‘73S’ also enjoyed the benefit of the ultimate development: the free revving 2.4 litre Type 911/53 engine, which produced 190 bhp. The transmission likewise enjoyed the new Type 915 gearbox, which was stronger and offered an improved change action. The aero package was improved too – the fitting of a front valence/spoiler reduced front end lift. Coupled with Porsche’s domination of the World Sportscar Championship and the endorsement by Steve McQueen in the film Le Mans, the company could do no wrong with the iconic 1973 911S and its derivatives.

This example is a 1973 911S Targa finished in its original colour of Light Ivory (Code 131). It features Recaro sports seats. According to the Certificate of Authenticity that accompanies the car, its Production Completion Date was 1 March 1973. First registration took place in the UK on 1 April 1973. The first owner was a corporate: A. Lipton & Company, though record of this organisation has proven scarce. The original interior colour was beige leatherette, though it was changed at some stage to the black it wears today. Other options were headrests, left and right plus a rear collision bar.

A returning Kiwi brought the vehicle to New Zealand, where it was registered in Wellington on 30 May 1985. While some restoration work has been undertaken on the car, whether this took place here or in the UK is not known for certain. It seems likely that much of it was performed here, as there are substantial invoices for parts purchased between 1985 - 1987, some bear local addresses, others British. What is certain is that restorative work has been undertaken. It should be noted that the rear wheel arches are slightly flared, with 7” rims present – a factory option. The usual 6” rims are present at the front.

In 1992, the vehicle changed hands. It moved to Auckland, and subsequent work was entrusted to Official Porsche Centre, Continental Cars who have continued to care for the vehicle right up to the present. Such efforts included rebuilding the engine, a task that was enacted by one of their senior mechanics with the resultant outcome of minimal oil leakage. The car remained in this keeper’s hands for the next 14 years. Carrera tensioners were fitted during this period, as well as a stainless steel Dansk exhaust and Porsche crested wheel centres. The Targa top was reconditioned. There are no cracks in the dash.

In June 2006, our vendor purchased the car. It is now known that for the ’73 Model Year, 925 Targas in “S” configuration were produced. Of these, 36 or 46 were RHD; the actual recorded numbers from Porsche are vague and display disparity. What is clear is that there are perhaps 12 now left globally. However, some marque experts state that 9 is closer to the mark – a number which is broadly in line with our research here at Webb’s.

With Targa values growing strongly, and considering the small number of RHD “S” Targas built, the opportunity to purchase one arises rarely. Their prices have risen steadily, largely due to the changing dynamic of ownership of classic and collectible cars. The 911S derivatives are benchmark cars and therefore the most desirable of all the mainstream 911s. As the vendor puts it, “owning this car has been a wonderful experience and will be sorely missed”. Relevant glovebox handbooks, three keys and a spec book are included along with the cherished plate 73S.

Typical auction rubbish less than 9 in the world"" gees I think I can account for all 6 that were bought to Australia plus I know of several more in the UK
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

everyone has a super rare car Clyde - i blame the PTS crowd - 1 of 1, I own the only car in the world.

JR
      Justin Reed
      aka Reedminor
      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
      1961 356B #114700
      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
        everyone has a super rare car Clyde - i blame the PTS crowd - 1 of 1, I own the only car in the world.

JR
        I got one of these (not pts. but close),true.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Lot closed - Price Realised incl. BP:$324,500
          Estimate: $320,000 - $350,000

Comment

Holy cow world has gone mad I know it's an S but not a great one
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Significantly cheaper alternative:

Comment

Did UK 73 targas come with 2 long door handles?
                Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Bill, My 73 911 T/E Coupe Australian Tourist Delivered was manufactured with two long internal door handles from new.

Comment

I decided to investigate a little further. From what I can make out, the 70-73 Katalog shows only " armrest without handle " for RHD cars driver side. I might be interpreting it incorrectly, though....
                    Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

The drivers side armrest on either LHD or RHD cars was always "without the handle" but many owners sourced a passenger side armrest from a LHD car and fitted it to the drivers door of their RHD car. I did this for my 72 911E many years ago as you were always tempted to grab the door pocket to pull the door shut which ended up damaging the door pocket.

The reasoning behind not having the handle onthe drivers side was because Porsche engineers decided the driver needed the extra room during "spirited driving" as the std, large diameter steering wheel didnt allow a lot of clearance for your hands when grappling with the wheel and applying opposite lock.

On my car, I had a smaller Momo Prototipo wheel so never encountered any issues even with a LHD passenger door handle fitted.

I dont know if you could factory order this as an option; perhaps Hugh can comment as he would surely know these things.

Indeed, when you drive an original LHD car, you fully understand why Porsche designers located such things as the fuel door flap lever, the front hood release and the rear engine lid release T-handle as well as heater controls and radio controls wherre they did. Thats why many items on a RHD car seem to be located more out of reach and less convenient than a LHD 911.

I could also include the location of the '72 oil tank as well since this was mounted opposite the driver giving better weight distribution and was more favourable than the earlier, rear mounted oil tank as it was a lot further forward. The '67 911R was the early example of this oil tank positioning (but mainly for competition purposes).

sigpicPhil Lack
                      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                      Early 911-S Registry # 690
                      R-Gruppe # 367
                      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                      X