1973 t/e?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1973 t/e?

No affiliation... and no glove box emblem... but yellow engine shroud and E asking price

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...GC-AD-16029259

Didn't have glovebox emblems in 73 that car has had some serious work done, some by Phil Hearn it seems he always puts the paint dabs after re installing suspension.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Do you know the car Clyde? Owned it at some point?

Comment

I dont think Phil has worked on this one but can ask. Clyde, was the spacer saver wheel and larger tank std for the 73 model ?

You would think they would get the engine shroud colour right doing such a full resto ??

Gas burner wheels are pretty rare as well.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

that's Matt's car from Weltmeister. I think from memory he told me (a few years ago) that he found it in Tasmania
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

the yellow engine shroud is correct for a 2.4 MFI T that this car is (Australian delivered as well)
            I dont know what fuel tank it got delivered with but that looks like a later one to me and a steel one rather than the plastic large one from 73 (and the space saver certainly looks later) I am fairly certain from discussions with Matt that the Mahle wheels were original to the car
            Hugh Hodges
            1973 E
            Early 911S Register #776

Comment

I saw that car in various stages of resto when I had a bit to do with Weltmeister early in my '69T ownership, and can safely say that it looked amazing! From memory, almost to the standard of clydes ST .... almost!
              Mark Munro
              '69 911T (sold)
              '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
              '69 MG Midget Group S car
              TYP901 Register #196

Comment

I thought we did not get any MFI T cars down here...?
                Cam Arnott
                Looking for engine #6208151
                1970 911E (Sold)
                '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                  VIN would help
                  Craig
                  12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                  1972 2.4E Targa project
                  1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Arnott View Post
                    We didn't. But no reason it could not have been added? I'd argue it to be a sweet upgrade over webers?
                    John Forcier
                    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                    Restoration Saga
                    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                      We didn't. But no reason it could not have been added? I'd argue it to be a sweet upgrade over webers?

John

I am not so sure about that for 1973 T's
                      I will have to check at home but i think almost all of the targa's came with a "US spec" engine type number which, makes them MFI, and I am sure Matt's car has its original engine. I don't have the chassis number handy but it is #509 or #560 or something close. I will try to post tonight.
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Cool. Always learning something. That really makes those few "real" RHD targas that came in pretty special then...
                        John Forcier
                        1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
                        1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
                        Restoration Saga
                        1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                          Cool. Always learning something. That really makes those few "real" RHD targas that came in pretty special then...
                          OK
                          the car in question is 9113100952

The specs on 1973 T's is very complicated
                          apart from the normal differences between Coupe and targa and manual and sporto there were THREE different engine variations in the T's:

They were the 911/57 (and 911/67 for sporto) carbs (or "vergasser" ) cars.
                          These had chassis numbers starting 911350xxxx (coupe) and 911351xxxx (targa) with the important digit being the 5 and are also called T/V cars

Then there were the MFI cars for the USA (and some other places) until January 1973. they were the 911/51 (and 911/61 for sporto) cars. They had chassis numbers in the range 9113100001 - 9113101252 for coupe and 9113110001 - 9113110781 for targa. The important number being the 1 instead of the 5, but also the last 4 numbers being the serial number is also important with these cars.

This is because the third engine type (K-Jet or CIS) cars also have chassis numbers beginning 911310 or 911311. The engine types on the K-Jet cars is 911/91 and 911/96. The records I have on the chassis numbers is a bit confusing with some records saying one thing and others being slightly different. I don't have the official little book to check what the factory said back in the day (can anyone check) But the records seem to be consistent with the coupes and say that the K-jet cars were numbered from 9113101501 - 9113103444 (1944 cars). for the targas all of my sources I have handy say the same thing that 1302 cars were made but they also say that the range was between 9113110001 and 9113112302. However I think the start number is a typo and should be 9113111001 as the cars up to #781 were MFI.

Australia had 4 manual and 6 sporto coupes ordered. ALL are 911310xxxx cars. My records give the 6 sporto numbers but show 8 numbers against the 4 manual cars ordered. Of the sporto cars 5 have numbers lower than 1252 making them MFI cars with the last one being a K-Jet one

Of the manual coupes (and using the 8 numbers that Porsche records i got a couple of decades ago show as "Australian" cars) one is a 91135 car (ie carbs) and of the remaining 7, 2 are numbered under 1252 making them MFI and the remaining 5 are K-Jet

There were 6 manual and 5 sportos Targas ordered. All the sportos were 911311 cars with all serial numbers over 1000. Under my interpretation of where the K-Jet started they are all K-Jet and anyway are all above the highest number MFI car said to be produced.
                          The manuals were 2 4 speeds, one with a 911311 number over 1000 making it a K-Jet and the other with a 911351 number meaning Carbs. Of the 4 5 speed cars the records only show 3 numbers - all 911351 numbers meaning carbs (and one of these is now known to be UK delivered despite showing as Australian in the local records)

So there were a real mix of engines in 73 for the T's here in Australia but most were injected in one form or another - at least according to the chassis number. To go back to the post I made (#11) about the targas above instead of the targa's it was the Sporto coupes that I was thinking about being mostly MFI as the targas were also "US Spec" but K-Jet.
                          Last edited by HughH; 12-06-14, 10:05 PM.
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

A Beautiful Mind
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901
                            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

Originally posted by MrUpwey View Post
                              A Beautiful Mind