• Time
  • Show
Clear All

1958 356a

Check out page 3

Peter Williams #049
    Secretary TYP901
    1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

What is the estimate?? I flew across to Tullocks in Launceston on 20 April 2016 for the auction of a 3 litre 78 Sc Targa Sporto. ( my research showed Hamiltons delivery and matching numbers) Estimate $8 to $10 approx sold for $39,000 plus 15% buyers premium on top. It had come from a deceased estate not driven for 6 years and wanted a fair bit of TLC although it had potential.

Comment

Looks a bittsa. Every one loves barn find. Tail lenses seem too be Morris and the bumpers are US, and it is RHD. Lots of rust in nasty places. Many $$ there. These cars don't have easily removable panels like 911s. Hub caps are 62+, steering wheel is right but the motor seems to be a later model S90, by colour.
      Last edited by Merv; 01-06-16, 06:39 PM.

Comment

The engine is a 58 super with silver shroud and no rebate at the top of the fan housing which the later engines had. S90's had Solex PII carbs this has Zenith with late 58 early 59 air filters. The hub caps are correct for a 356A T2 super. It looks like a really original car to me other than the tail lights. My old Aussie 58 speedster came new with the same bumper bars as that car too.
        Last edited by tobygiles; 01-06-16, 07:12 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
        Toby 0415 333 380

27 Lancia Lambda Torpedo
        61 Karmann Ghia Oz matching #'s
        68 911S UK matching #'s
        68 911L UK matching #'s
        71 911S Oz matching #'s
        71 RX2 Coupe stock standard
        74 911 2.7MFI Carrera Oz matching #'s
        09 AUDI RS6 Sedan Oz matching #'s
        15 Range Rover Sport

Comment

Maybe Toby. But it looks like the light grey shroud of the S90. You are certainly right on the 'caps. Uncommon, but possible on some. Solexes and Zeniths did tend to move around a bit between cars. There were few RHD Speedsters, making yours very rare then-with only between 4 and 20 ever made reportedly? Personally I have not as yet seen those bumper frames on an original RHD coupe, but they may have been however.

Rampant rust is the major issue and many tens of thousands to restore.
          Last edited by Merv; 01-06-16, 08:22 PM.

Comment

What's a good cond 356a 60hp Aus matching #s colour changed buy price range?
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I will have a guess at the auction price of $62k. I am not bidding either.

Comment

Could be high Jim. Looking again at the photos and the rust that actually shows, I would be extremely hesitant. It appears original in many respects, but very neglected and while it has potential and anything can be 'saved', at what cost relative to current market value? People do things they may later regret with 'barn finds'.

Also, I must missed any provision of the crucial chassis and engine numbers so far. I would want to verify those against the available database carefully. This car needs almost every thing re-doing from the replacement of all the rusted panels, the motor and gearbox most probably and the paint ... I could see at least $100,000 in professional time and parts. And then its market value starts too be exceeded, with any size of purchase price.

Comment

Gee Tullochs have some interesting stuff.

That would would a rusty old thing Id suspect - hubcaps look fine to me, the carbs would most likely be Solexes - the air cleaners would indicate as much, and super and fan shrouds were a silvery grey.

If we had engine number wed know for sure if it was a Super..... it also appears to have a non Porsche tacho - which would be another way to be able to tell what type of engine it has.

It'd be a project for the brave I'd suggest..... but if its Aussie and it wasnt over restored you may break even. CTS in Sydney appear to be trying to corner the market with some lovely 356 Coupes priced in 2's.... so never say never.

Justin
                  Justin Reed
                  aka Reedminor
                  1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                  1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                  1961 356B #114700
                  Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Mmmmmm

Hi Justin, the early super shrouds are silver the later S90 shrouds are light grey. They don't look even remotely like solex air cleaners they are zenith which were on both the super and normal in 58, the supers had different centuries and jets though. My guess is we will find this is a super 75
                    Toby 0415 333 380

27 Lancia Lambda Torpedo
                    61 Karmann Ghia Oz matching #'s
                    68 911S UK matching #'s
                    68 911L UK matching #'s
                    71 911S Oz matching #'s
                    71 RX2 Coupe stock standard
                    74 911 2.7MFI Carrera Oz matching #'s
                    09 AUDI RS6 Sedan Oz matching #'s
                    15 Range Rover Sport

Comment

Sorry I meant Zeniths....
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1961 356B #114700

Comment

They are Zeniths by the springs, bodies and cleaners. As you say Justin - a project for the very brave, and then they might break even, just.

Comment

Any remote guess on what it would cost to restore ( I know a silly question but a rough estimate I guess )

Comment

My guess would be with all the rusted body panels professionally cut out and replaced with new reproduction ones (not like the 911 where you could do much yourself) and the paint re-done. New carpets, mats, chrome, rubber seals all round, almost certainly an engine rebuild, and the list goes on. I could not see much change out of $80+K. Maybe I am wrong but unless you are superb with sheet metal and have a year or so work on it ...

Comment

Probably 80'- 120 I would say

Possibly more..... You really have no idea until you inspect it and even then there will still be surprises....

It also depends how good you want it to be at the end... Driver, concours, rat rod?

Just to make it safe and driveable - budget complete brake and suspension overhaul. Gearbox is probably shot and require rebuild. How shot determines price.... Unless you can find a rebuilt gearbox somewhere. Engine as per gearbox.... But assume 20_30 maybe more.

It's one of those projects you'd go into requiring deep pockets.... Because there will be surprises that will be encountered.... Some might be pleasant but the the majority will probably be unpleasant!

Jr
                              Justin Reed
                              aka Reedminor
                              1961 356B #114700

Comment

Working...
                              X