FS: 68 Recaro Sport Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FS: 68 Recaro Sport Seats

I'm taking a long hard look at what I hang on to and what I don't really need to...

I've got a pair of one year only 1968 Recaro sport seats that were an option only across the 68 year. Yes, the 1968 transition year, where every bloody part was just that little bit different from the year before and the year after

1968 saw the recaro sport seats change from the round tubed internal frame from <67 to a frame made of rectangular straps and the first to include internal headrest mounts. Uniquely, the forward/aft adjustment lever is imbedded on the right side of the seat (regardless of driven side of the car) and is not part of the sliders. The tilting consoles were right and left side specific. Head rests were optional and mostly dependant on what country the car was delivered to.

So I've got a pair of these seats - one in black/tan pepita and one in black pepita/herringbone - both seats' fabric is cactus and beyond saving. The perforated vinyl is rough in places and I doubt it could be repaired to a sufficient standard. I have a bolt of very correct black pepita fabric made by UK ESR member VisualFX, as I understand it, his fabric is pretty much identical to original and sourced through similar channels as Eric Linden's now NLA seat fabric - it was about $400 delivered. There is enough to do both seats. I also have new Recaro knobs for the levers included.

Importantly I only have one set of sliders, and one RHS tilting console. You would need to source a LHS tilting console and a pair of sliders. There are no headrests (can be added or deleted as per your kardex or preference). Eric Linden has reproduced perfect tilting consoles ($400 USD) and is in the process of reproducing sliders (but they are likely still a few months off). There is no question that sourcing original sliders is near on impossible... But MRAR found a pair only this week

I was going to keep these seats for my 68L as 'road' seats. But given that my 68 will be a track car, I have to ask myself whether I'll ever really use them... Truth is I could use the money for the car's engine and transmission build.

If you've done some homework, you'll know these seats fully restored on sliders and tilts would probably be worth around $15k USD. And if you're still with me, you've got a 68 model year. What else would really set your car off better than a pair of the highly coveted factory correct and original seats ?

I'm offering these up for $10, 000 AUD. Yes they'll need full restoration (Clyde can set you right on this process and who to use) and you'll have to actively pursue a pair of sliders and a tilting console, but these seats are rare as hens teeth or rocking horse poo and unlikely to come up available in Australia any time soon.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Fishcop; 02-11-16, 05:52 PM.
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Nice pair, hard to come by!!
    Tom Laube
    Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
    VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
      I'm taking a long hard look at what I hang on to and what I don't really need to...

I've got a pair of one year only 1968 Recaro sport seats that were an option only across the 68 year. Yes, the 1968 transition year, where every bloody part was just that little bit different from the year before and the year after

1968 saw the recaro sport seats change from the round tubed internal frame from <67 to a frame made of rectangular straps and the first to include internal headrest mounts. Uniquely, the forward/aft adjustment lever is imbedded on the right side of the seat (regardless of driven side of the car) and is not part of the sliders. The tilting consoles were right and left side specific. Head rests were optional and mostly dependant on what country the car was delivered to.

So I've got a pair of these seats - one in black/tan pepita and one in black pepita/herringbone - both seats' fabric is cactus and beyond saving. The perforated vinyl is rough in places and I doubt it could be repaired to a sufficient standard. I have a bolt of very correct black pepita fabric made by UK ESR member VisualFX, as I understand it, his fabric is pretty much identical to original and sourced through similar channels as Eric Linden's now NLA seat fabric - it was about $400 delivered. There is enough to do both seats. I also have new Recaro knobs for the levers included.

Importantly I only have one set of sliders, and one RHS tilting console. You would need to source a LHS tilting console and a pair of sliders. There are no headrests (can be added or deleted as per your kardex or preference). Eric Linden has reproduced perfect tilting consoles ($400 USD) and is in the process of reproducing sliders (but they are likely still a few months off). There is no question that sourcing original sliders is near on impossible... But MRAR found a pair only this week

I was going to keep these seats for my 68L as 'road' seats. But given that my 68 will be a track car, I have to ask myself whether I'll ever really use them... Truth is I could use the money for the car's engine and transmission build.

If you've done some homework, you'll know these seats fully restored on sliders and tilts would probably be worth around $15k USD. And if you're still with me, you've got a 68 model year. What else would really set your car off better than a pair of the highly coveted factory correct and original seats ?

I'm offering these up for $10, 000 AUD. Yes they'll need full restoration (Clyde can set you right on this process and who to use) and you'll have to actively pursue a pair of sliders and a tilting console, but these seats are rare as hens teeth or rocking horse poo and unlikely to come up available in Australia any time soon.
      God I am tempted

MRAR found his attached to some seats though
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post

God I am tempted

MRAR found his attached to some seats though
        I am waiting for your call
        John Forcier
        Restoration Saga

Comment

You aren't the only one Clyde....

JR
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
            You aren't the only one Clyde....

JR
            These seats would make your car absolutely perfect Justin
            John Forcier
            Restoration Saga

Comment

Go on Justin stump up the cash I will help you with the restoration
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

No interest locally? Probably going to offer these up on ESR soon.
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Bumping.

Only need a left side tilt and sliders for the passenger seat - but you'd be right to go with the RHD driver-sport/passenger-comfort combo often ordered back in the day. Auto Foreign Design is producing replacement tilt brackets and now sliders (only need the lower section though Eric will not sell this bit separately)

John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

Sold
                    John Forcier
                    Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                    X