Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immaculate 1973T For Sale

Dear members,

The time has come for me to place my US delivered 73T on the market. After previously flirting with the idea - at a price that reflected a reluctance to sell - I am now sufficiently motivated to offer this collector quality vehicle at $199,500.

There's a bit of a story as to its purchase. Having previously been the owner of an "average" Aussie delivered early car, by 2010 I wanted back in the longhood market - but only for the highest quality example. With champagne tastes but only a beer budget, the solution was to import the champagne - for it could be purchased at a big discount to its cost locally. Sure there are a few nuances in the flavour of the local version, but it is produced in the same factory by the same guys and I am equally enthralled with both varieties.

The unexpected hurdle was securing overseas supply. It seemed the vendors in those offshore markets are not accustomed to dealing with overseas buyers. My first three acquisition attempts proved unsuccessful. So, when on the fourth purchase attempt the owner of a green 72T agreed sale terms, but then refused the deposit and halted the sale until he had "sorted out a few issues" I was understandably concerned. Fortuitously, a few days later, another vehicle - the light ivory 73 - came up. Terms were quickly negotiated, a PPI done, and the sale was completed. I had finally secured my dream longhood. A few days pass and the owner of the green 72T kept his word and reverts to finalise the sale. So I ended up with two US longhoods. I thought that's no problem, I'll import them both and sell one back here. However there was a problem - they were both just so damn good I could not work out which one to sell. The easiest way to deal with indecision is to delay the decision, which I have successfully done until recently.

Enough stories the relevant information:
    • Unrestored, matching numbers, 94k documented miles.
    • Options: Comfort Equipment, Stabilizer Bars, Spoiler and Electric Sliding Sunroof.
    • Delivered on 14 August 1973 by Hayes Porsche/Audi in El Paso, Texas.
    • By late 1976 it had travelled around 38,000 miles and had found a new home in Pennsylvania.
    • Stayed in Pennsylvania until 2003, when the owner moved to the Missouri/Illinios area.
    • Purchased by current owner in 2011 and imported it to Sydney.
    • Straight body, very good gaps and panel fit.
    • Waxoyled early in its life and remains corrosion free.
    • Paint is of high quality with most of the panels reading 6 to 7.5 mils (150-190 microns).
    • Paint flaws include small stone chips to spoiler and minor marks on hood and rear bumper.
    • The chrome and bright trim are very nice throughout.
    • Has the correct Hirschmann antenna and the orange bar hood crest.
    • The carpets, dash, speaker cover, gauges, Repa seat belts and uncut door trims are original and in excellent condition.
    • Front seats were re-trimmed in 2008 by Autos International.
    • All interior items are free of warping, cracking, or discoloration.
    • Solid engine with good compression and leak down results.
    • Car drives exceptionally well - the motor pulls strongly and it feels "tight".
    • Fitted with Fuchs in excellent condition, dated 1/73 and 12/72.
    • Also provided are the original five "cookie cutter" wheels, all stamped 4/73.
    • Other updates from original (with all original parts retained) include:
      • "Sugar scoop" headlights replaced with H4's (sourced from Porsche)
      • Turn signal lenses replaced with Porsche supplied RHD units
      • US style bumperettes removed (front and rear)
      • New rear bumperettes, with S trim (consistent with rest of car)
    • Comprehensive documentation that includes the Certificate of Authenticity, stamped service book and maintenance records.
    • Complete original toolkit (including the "unobtainable" reversible red handle screwdriver) as well as the "green dot" jack.
    Some forum members may recognise the vehicle from the last two Rennsport gatherings, and NSW concourse events. All feedback is welcome (and encouraged).

Interested parties please call: 0411 four hundred 220.

Regards,
    Stuart

Price lowered to $135,000.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by us72t; 04-12-18, 11:26 AM. Reason: Price lowered to $135,000.
    Stuart Pearce
    1972T
    Australian TYP 901 Register #028
    Early 911S Register #2310

Good litmus test for the current market. Lets see who bites.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Last edited by 9er; 04-03-18, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Is that a nibble?
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Lovely original car Stuart.

Comment

gnaw

Comment

Lovely! All the best for the sale.
              Tom Laube
              Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
              VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

I can vouch for the quality of the car - its just lovely.

Good luck with the sale Stuart.

JR
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Nice car. Good luck on the sale. If I was based in usa I buy take it with me.

Comment

Greta car Stuart and good luck with your sale...I would have kept the green one too
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Thank you to all for the compliments on the car and for your best wishes. No nibbles unfortunately. Seems like I will need to go a little broader, so she'll be hitting carsales shortly.
                      Stuart Pearce
                      1972T

Comment

Originally posted by us72t View Post
                        Dear members,

The time has come for me to place my US delivered 73T on the market. After previously flirting with the idea - at a price that reflected a reluctance to sell - I am now sufficiently motivated to offer this collector quality vehicle at $199,500.

There's a bit of a story as to its purchase. Having previously been the owner of an "average" Aussie delivered early car, by 2010 I wanted back in the longhood market - but only for the highest quality example. With champagne tastes but only a beer budget, the solution was to import the champagne - for it could be purchased at a big discount to its cost locally. Sure there are a few nuances in the flavour of the local version, but it is produced in the same factory by the same guys and I am equally enthralled with both varieties.

The unexpected hurdle was securing overseas supply. It seemed the vendors in those offshore markets are not accustomed to dealing with overseas buyers. My first three acquisition attempts proved unsuccessful. So, when on the fourth purchase attempt the owner of a green 72T agreed sale terms, but then refused the deposit and halted the sale until he had "sorted out a few issues" I was understandably concerned. Fortuitously, a few days later, another vehicle - the light ivory 73 - came up. Terms were quickly negotiated, a PPI done, and the sale was completed. I had finally secured my dream longhood. A few days pass and the owner of the green 72T kept his word and reverts to finalise the sale. So I ended up with two US longhoods. I thought that's no problem, I'll import them both and sell one back here. However there was a problem - they were both just so damn good I could not work out which one to sell. The easiest way to deal with indecision is to delay the decision, which I have successfully done until recently.

Enough stories the relevant information:
                        • Unrestored, matching numbers, 94k documented miles.
                        • Options: Comfort Equipment, Stabilizer Bars, Spoiler and Electric Sliding Sunroof.
                        • Delivered on 14 August 1973 by Hayes Porsche/Audi in El Paso, Texas.
                        • By late 1976 it had travelled around 38,000 miles and had found a new home in Pennsylvania.
                        • Stayed in Pennsylvania until 2003, when the owner moved to the Missouri/Illinios area.
                        • Purchased by current owner in 2011 and imported it to Sydney.
                        • Straight body, very good gaps and panel fit.
                        • Waxoyled early in its life and remains corrosion free.
                        • Paint is of high quality with most of the panels reading 6 to 7.5 mils (150-190 microns).
                        • Paint flaws include small stone chips to spoiler and minor marks on hood and rear bumper.
                        • The chrome and bright trim are very nice throughout.
                        • Has the correct Hirschmann antenna and the orange bar hood crest.
                        • The carpets, dash, speaker cover, gauges, Repa seat belts and uncut door trims are original and in excellent condition.
                        • Front seats were re-trimmed in 2008 by Autos International.
                        • All interior items are free of warping, cracking, or discoloration.
                        • Solid engine with good compression and leak down results.
                        • Car drives exceptionally well - the motor pulls strongly and it feels "tight".
                        • Fitted with Fuchs in excellent condition, dated 1/73 and 12/72.
                        • Also provided are the original five "cookie cutter" wheels, all stamped 4/73.
                        • Other updates from original (with all original parts retained) include:
                          • "Sugar scoop" headlights replaced with H4's (sourced from Porsche)
                          • Turn signal lenses replaced with Porsche supplied RHD units
                          • US style bumperettes removed (front and rear)
                          • New rear bumperettes, with S trim (consistent with rest of car)
                        • Comprehensive documentation that includes the Certificate of Authenticity, stamped service book and maintenance records.
                        • Complete original toolkit (including the "unobtainable" reversible red handle screwdriver) as well as the "green dot" jack.
                        Some forum members may recognise the vehicle from the last two Rennsport gatherings, and NSW concourse events. All feedback is welcome (and encouraged).

Interested parties please call: 0411 four hundred 220.

Regards,
                        Stuart
                        Nice car Stuart.
                        Cheers Paul

Comment

Hi all,

Price drop to $179,500. Will look to re-post on carsales shortly.

For those interested, if you were lucky enough to get your hands on a car like this in the States, for say USD90k, then after adding shipping, insurance, clearance and port, agent fees, etc and you would be in for AUD130k. Add GST and LCT and you’re now at 165k. Add genuine headlights, indicator lenses, other odds and ends and the inevitable contingencies and you’re now at 170k.

And then there's the importing risk - quarantine / asbestos issues. Isn't it just easier and far lower risk to buy a known car here with all the hard work done?

It would be great to see this vehicle remain in Australia.

Regards,
                          Stuart
                          Stuart Pearce
                          1972T

Comment

I think you have been pretty conservative on the cost to get the car here Stuart I doubt you could get it here for less than your current asking price exchange rate losses as well

Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President
                            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Thanks Clyde, I agree I was conservative, even moreso now with further AUD falls.

Anyways, although it has attracted some interest, they are only nibbles.

Hence, price drop pending.

Stuart Pearce
                              1972T

Comment

Working...
                              X