TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SWB Tail Light Lens Wanted (passenger side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SWB Tail Light Lens Wanted (passenger side)

Wanted SWB Tail light lens Passenger side wanted, two screw hole silver edge for my 1967 912. Mine cracked badly when my 912 was reassembled and my registration renewal is in two weeks. 912 SWB I have been told is not silver edge, but happy to purchase anything two screw type SWB to pass rego Passenger side or both.
    Geoff in Sydney 0414 557 159

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by ITS-911 View Post
      Wanted SWB Tail light lens Passenger side wanted, two screw hole silver edge for my 1967 912. Mine cracked badly when my 912 was reassembled and my registration renewal is in two weeks. 912 SWB I have been told is not silver edge, but happy to purchase anything two screw type SWB to pass rego Passenger side or both.
      Geoff in Sydney 0414 557 159
      Isn't the housing chrome (silver edge)?
      lens is standard i would of thought.
      John in Oregon would know for sure.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

For the SWB cars, I thought the taillight was a complete assembly and the lenses were glued into them. Its a job to remove the old one as they have tabs that slot into the housing which are them melted over to hold them in place. I may have a compelte aeembly available as I did have some listed for sale a while back. Will look and advise.
        sigpicPhil Lack
        TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
        Early 911-S Registry # 690
        R-Gruppe # 367
        '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
        '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
        2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
        1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Sean upon checking yes housing is chrome and lens is standard.
          Phil thanks for checking

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Phil is right, of course, replacement is a bit of a compromise using clear silicon or the like, as there is no gasket.

Comment

Here is a pic of the housing and some of the tabs can be seem protuding thru the housing edge between where the rubber seal is broken. Often these have been sealed over with a hot knife (or similar) and need to be ground off and the lens then pried off. I do believe that replaement lenses are available that then need to be heated and the tabs secured in the slots so once they are in, they cannot easily be removed.

Porsche replaced this design on the LWB cars with a lighter housing and one that you could easily replace cracked lenses. The older housing are quite heavy and typically German over-engineered which is why they have lasted so long and I still have some left over from my '66 911 project that became the 911R. I still have to check in my warehouse next week once I get to theoffice after the Anzac Day holiday. I hope the ones I have arent the US style tail lights with IMG_5166.jpg no amber turn signal (all red).
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Parts found thank you

Comment

Buy these as a back up Geoff

I’m not a dealer and I don’t do this to make a living. Have parts for sale or trade?. I have multiple cars undergoing restoration right now and I'm always interested in hard-to-find, early parts for 356's, 911's, and 912's.

Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...
                    X