1973 911 Carrera RSR for $125k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1973 911 Carrera RSR for $125k

The original long nose body has been updated to a 964 style wide body RS look with a strong 3 litre motor and five speed 915 gearbox. The vehicle has had substantial money spent including interior tri

The chassis number indicates a genuine 1973 Carrera RSR for AUD$125k - sounds like a good deal no?

So... smelling a backstory I did some googling around and it looks like HughH has more info on this car. The VIN is clearly not correct if it's already claimed by this car:

Vic is the poster and current seller:
    Greetings fellow Porsche family members. I am new to your site and from Australia, seeking help to discover the true history of a recent purchase, not my first Porsche, but certainly the one with some mystery attached. It is a March 1973 build, but currently upgraded to a 1974 short bonnet RS look. The Vin suggests it is at least the body of a 1973 RSR, #9113600847, however, I believe a vehicle with the same Vin was enter in the Monterey Motorsport Reunion in 2013. Anyone with any knowledge or

As an ex race car in a series in Australia that had all sorts of built up cars in it it is not really surprising. However it is based on the shell of a very early 1968T with the vin number (not production number because it was originally SWB) evident on both the dash stamping and the paint badge. It appears to have been raced as a "RSR" in the 80's as many similarly constructed cars were here in Australia built on both LWB and SWB shells. Talking to Vic I dont think he is unhappy with that result either.
    I do have a vague memory of a somewhat similar black with red script "73 Carrera" on Carsales from WA a couple of years back that was actually a SWB, but I don't remember it was so flared... how many cars like this are floating around AU with interesting stamped numbers?

Interesting is a polite description
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

My eyes lit up when I saw that 6 in the Vin number.
      Peter D

TYP901# 233
      911T Coupe 68
      911E Targa 73
      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

So is it possible for Vic to legally sell this car then, now we know (and he by now knows too) that the VIN has been tampered with?
        It's not an RSR, clearly, but it's also not a 1973 car.
        1973 911T Coupe
        1976 911S Coupe - 2.8RSR to be

"Just don't lift mid-turn."

Comment

That was my question too - and even more so as it is in South Australia and has SA plates (but I am not sure if currently registered there) and the registration authorities there have form in spotting the smallest discrepancies in vin numbers and stampings and refusing registration. It would not have mattered as much when it was a track car

It does have a valid 1968 Vin though stamped in the shell (but on the dash) and on the paint plate so could be registered as a 68
          Last edited by HughH; 28-07-22, 05:13 PM.
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Rare car, 68 RSR
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...