WTB: Early Sport Seat Tilt Bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Early Sport Seat Tilt Bracket

I've been lucky enough to source a pair of 68 sport seats with the help of a few on here (you guys know who you are, big thanks!!). On the very odd chance someone else has what I need...

Chasing a LEFT side tilt/slide seat bracket for sport seats. Eric Linden (Soteric/Auto Foreign) is in the process of reproducing these to his usual standards, but given that I have to restore the right side one I have, I figured I'd see if I can source a left.

These are the brackets used on the <68 cars fitted with sport seats. I'd love to hear from you if you have one!

Cheers
    John
    Attached Files
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Well done John. I wish I could find some of those sports seats! Not the ones on ESR however ...

Comment

Go on Merv you know you want to
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I keep thinking of the village somewhere with starving kids that I could feed for a year ...

One could look forever for those seats. Cant imagine there are many lying around in Australia.
        Last edited by Merv; 01-03-15, 09:38 PM.

Comment

It was quite a random thing for me. Someone contacted me with a pair of early seats gathering dust that they wanted to get rid of. Presuming I'd see comfort seats I was surprised to see that one of them was a sport seat and both sans headrest - the lever in the seat tells me immediately that it is a 67/68. The story goes that they are the original seats from a Sydney London rally car... There is no possible way to verify the providence. I bought them some time ago. They are in black and beige pepita.

A second orphan sport seat popped up locally (sort of) from a member here, but it's missing the all-so-rare tilt/slide bracket. Amazingly for me, it too is a one year only 68. It is in regular black pepita.

They both require full and complete restoration. I have a quote from Prostitch in Sydney (who do know how to do these seats beautifully) for $3500 not including the pepita/tartan/cord centres. I have ordered new pepita from the gent on ESR who has picked up the sword from Eric Lindon so to speak - $450 delivered. Clyde has also given me some tips on rebuilding them myself and getting what I need from the USA.

I will be well and truly into these for over $7k (probably $8k) when finished depending on securing a correct mounting bracket and sliders. So I can see how $8-10k for original seats in good condition and bracketry is quite reasonable
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Fishcop; 01-03-15, 11:41 PM.
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

Do you need headrests for these or will you restore them without headrest holes ?

I have a set of original porsche 'peanut' headrests that might suit.

Let me know John.
            sigpicPhil Lack
            TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
            Early 911-S Registry # 690
            R-Gruppe # 367
            '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
            '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
            2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
            1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post

They both require full and complete restoration. I have a quote from Prostitch in Sydney (who do know how to do these seats beautifully) for $3500 not including the pepita/tartan/cord centres. I have ordered new pepita from the gent on ESR who has picked up the sword from Eric Lindon so to speak - $450 delivered.
              Hi John,
              This is very interesting to me because I'm about to restore my sports seats as well. Did you get your pepita from Garry Hall at Classic FX in England?

I was thinking about using his pepita + Prostich for my seats . . . though $3,500 is a bit sobering!!

Cheers
              Nick

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
                Do you need headrests for these or will you restore them without headrest holes ?

I have a set of original porsche 'peanut' headrests that might suit.

Let me know John.
                Not sure which way to go yet Phil. I was considering going without the headrests (though both frames can receive headrests). At a later time the seats can be fitted with the headrests - but I like the look without them.

I think I may have headrests stashed somewhere already, but can't remember whether they are the peanuts or D's. Thanks for the offer!
                John Forcier
                Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by npvpositive View Post
                  Hi John,
                  This is very interesting to me because I'm about to restore my sports seats as well. Did you get your pepita from Garry Hall at Classic FX in England?

I was thinking about using his pepita + Prostich for my seats . . . though $3,500 is a bit sobering!!

Cheers
                  Nick
                  Hi Nick

Yes I ordered 2m of pepita from Garry last week. I've also indicated that if he does a 'colour' highlight pepita I'd also be keen.

Prostitch's estimate is based on them doing everything except sourcing the pepita (and I've added $250 for freight which you won't need to worry about).

But I think I'm going to strip/repair/powdercoat/plate all the hardware. Clyde reckons Tony Garcia is the best and can work long-distance by providing correct shaped foam and textiles and then I use a local upholsterer to put it together - we know Clyde is a perfectionist and so I suspect I'll be happy too. Locally I have Lee Brothers here in Brisbane who did my Nurburgring seats and are very good.
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Fishcop View Post
                    Hi Nick

But I think I'm going to strip/repair/powdercoat/plate all the hardware.
                    John are you going to strip/repair/powdercoat yourself?

Comment

I can certainly strip the seats down, and I can plate the runners myself. I'll sub out the blasting and powdercoating. I doubt it will cost me much more than $100 to get all the powdercoating done (it only cost $200 for all my suspension and cross-members).
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

Nice, those are going to look so sweeeet!

Comment

Bumping the WTB a tilt bracket

If you have something that looks like the first photo I posted I want to hear from you!
                          John Forcier
                          Restoration Saga

Comment

John,

Re your post - is it only the sliders/tilt mechanism up to 68 that's going to be reproduced or the 69-72 single locker versions as well?

Cheers

Julian

Comment

Eric Linden is doing only the early/swb versions as far as I know.
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X