WTB: RHD wood dash trim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: RHD wood dash trim

As the title says, I'm looking for a set of RHD wood dash trim for a 1966 (Radio hole in the car has been butchered).

PM me if you have any, or let me know if there's a supplier I can source repro's from.

Cheers
    Cam

I have the wood trim that had been added to my '65, and I will not be using it.
    I would have to get it out to see how good it is.

Comment

Geez, Chris you are getting rid of all the good stuff (Jim?)!

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
        Thanks Chris, I'd be interested depending on the condition. Let me know when you get to it.

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post

Hi Chris

I wouldn't be in to much of a hurry to get rid of that "wood trim" from your 65 as it's what it originally came from the factory with .

I would think that an original timber trim from a 1965 factory RHD would be very rare !

The other 65 Australian delivered 912 ( 350502 ) I have previously owned also had the exact same timber trim on the dash board ( have heard it's for sale again ).

I can remember when I owned your car the steel dash panel had the punched holes to mount the timber trim to .

I can dig up so photo's of the two dash's if your interested ?

Comment

My (formerly your) 912 had been bodged up with the wooden trim.

It was never an option for these (912) cars and the first 700 or so from the Porsche (rather than the Karmann) factory were in fact made with painted dash to match the outside car colour.

All this info. is available, and throughout my restoration it was quite easy to see that the holes for the wooden fascia were done by someone, drilled quite poorly, aftermarket, and that the original red red dash was there in all its glory under some dodgy black paint.

I would love to be able to talk up these pieces to enhance their value but I expect them to just be a replica of what was available on some 911 s of the era.

Comment

I did some more research tonight and definitely no wood dash for 912.

Available for 911 for MY65 and 66.

It will be easy to see if my parts are genuine, because they should be a timber veneer over a thin aluminium backing. However my memory tells me that my pieces are just timber.

Comment

Hey Chris

Here's another Australian delivery 1965 912 that has the exact same timber trim ( with out the aluminum backing ) and only one vin # on from yours.

The Australian TYP 901 register is forum for enthusiasts who pay homage to this remarkable machine.

I can remember researching the timber dash trim when I owned the car and it is the real deal as early cars didn't get the aluminum backing .

Cheers Doug

Comment

mine (66 912) has wood, no backing and know of another 66 same.
                  Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Not sure of my facts on the aluminium backing, but definitely no wood available for 912. Plenty of them have it but it just ain't correct.
                    No aluminium backing on mine, checked this morning.
                    I will get you some photos Cam.

Comment

I have seen what the prices of these little Stencils of timber fetch.
                      I can see why you would want to sell it.

Ching Ching.!

Comment

I was giving it away?

Comment

RHD wood

Guys

Here's a post of mine on E911S, see post 156.

It could be interesting to establish how long did special 1964 features continue to appear on 1965 built cars: Vin: 300492 (delivered new on 9 March 1965): - still has 6 vertical folds on front seats - still has early exchangers - still has early lower dash - still has 4 screws on front vents - still has leather gear change base - has the 911 script on the lid but NOT on the glove box

Cheers

S

Comment

Pics, I have the ashtray piece as well, radio cut out is dodgy.

Comment

my 65 912 had factory wood fascia. It was one vin number later than Dougs

I also understand though never researched that there are at least two different sets early cars and later, but still early cars. One of the differences is to do with alum backing?

all 65 and 66 cars I have seen (admittedly not many) seem to have wood fascia all my 67 cars Ive seen have had the alum fascia
                              Last edited by Michel; 17-04-15, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X