Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unregistered Vehicle Permit

A question for the knowledgable....

The 968CS I've bought is not currently registered and I'm hoping to pick it up in Melbourne in early November. Does anyone know if its legal to drive a car on an Unregistered Vehicle Permit into another state?

Cheers Cam
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Hi Cam, I've done it three times driving from Melbourne to Sydney and simply assumed it was legal in NSW, but I was never pulled over (in NSW) to test it. Sorry can't be definitive but I do recall you state the intended destination on the paperwork and must stick to route so it seemed a logical assumption.

cheers,
    Stuart
    Stuart Pearce
    1972T
    Australian TYP 901 Register #028
    Early 911S Register #2310

Comment

In Queensland you need to get a permit to move an unregistered vehicle - the fee is based on the basis of the number of days.

Comment

Any update Cam? I would have a guess and say that you need one from each state as they don’t seemed to be linked in any way. I don’t like guessers or guessing though. I am sure it’s as simple as making 56 phone calls ha ha

Comment

You only need a single State's Unregistered Vehicle Permit to move the car Cam. You are covered under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992.

I jumped through the hoops several times with the move from Qld to NSW, Out of interest the NSW system was much cheaper with a single ($30) payment for as many days as I wanted, provided I could justify the needed days. For example, I asked for 5 days when I moved my tilta trailer, but the RTA officer said that was too long for a 10 hour drive and gave me 3 days. As Merv says, Qld charges by the day and will give you as many days as you want to pay for...

It is easier to use the State you intend to move the vehicle TO rather than FROM. This is because you have the time to do it in person or otherwise before the trip, and you're likely to have an easier time in your home State as they'll already have a customer reference number for you. Make sure you have have a copy of the current owner's details including a mobile phone number, and the most recent registration details, especially the VIN (preferably a photograph).

All States require that you remove the existing number plate from the vehicle, so there is a real chance you'll be intercepted by a bored traffic cop for a check, so make sure the car is roadworthy in every other respect!
          Last edited by Fishcop; 20-10-17, 11:35 AM.
          John Forcier
          1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
          1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
          Restoration Saga
          1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Many years ago I brought an XK150 up to Sydney from Melbourne unregistered, bought it from Murray Richards who organised a permit and a road-worthy certificate. This is well before the road was dual highway all the way. With no plates got as far as Tarcutta (NSW) where I pulled into the big Mobil servo for fuel followed by a police car. The officer asked very politely why I didn't have any plates ,told him what I was doing, he checked the Victorian paperwork and handed it back replying enjoy the rest of your journey.

Comment

info about it on vicroads website Cam.

JR
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Thanks Gents

Justin I couldn't find anything about cross border permit validity when I looked on the website.....
                Cam Arnott
                1970 911E (Sold)
                2 x Split Screen Kombis
                TYP 901 Register # 78
                Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

This is the NSW RTA's website page recognising interstate transport... http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/regi...egistered.html
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks Mate

Interestingly the SA system only allows for journeys commencing in SA so it looks like a Vic Roads permit is the go......
                    Cam Arnott
                    1970 911E (Sold)
                    2 x Split Screen Kombis
                    TYP 901 Register # 78
                    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I have used both a Qld and a Vic one. From memory the Vic one was better as it could be done online, and the CTP insurance was included in the cost, whereas other states may vary (note that I say MAY, as it was a few years ago when I used one).

Comment

Justin Reed
                        aka Reedminor
                        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                        1961 356B #114700
                        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

The VicRoads website still seems 'silent' on the cross-border issues..? I think the crux is whether the URpermit covers third-party insurance (generally yes), and is that insurance valid outside the state of issue. I could only find the NSW RTA website to be clear that cross-border was okay.
                          John Forcier
                          Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                          X