TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drive with the Holden boys...and Harry!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive with the Holden boys...and Harry!!

I was fortunate enough to be asked to join a small group for a 2 day runs Friday and Saturday.

Mainly Holden design team guys who were in mourning.

To quote Peter Hughes, the organiser (and Harry Atkinsons brother in law).

"2 days, 1200km, 6 cars, 6 blokes, 1 pub, ample beers, some scotch, appox. 4567 bends....can think of worse things to do.
    Yea. Mansfield. Whitfield. Myrtleford, ( birthplace of G Ablett Snr). Happy Valley, Mitta Mitta. Anglers Rest. Omeo. Bairnsdale. Maffra. Mirboo North. Korumburra, Warragul and home"

We stayed at the iconic Blue Duck Inn overnight Friday night.
    2017-10-21 08.42.00.jpg

An eclectic mix of cars and one missing from the pic was the horrid new ZB Commodore which one of the Holden team was testing. It drove and handled great but what horrid looking car, remember you heard it first here.

Apart from rental companies, no one will buy one but did hear good news about RHD Vettes, maybe HSV RHD Comaros etc to come on line in the future.

Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

I'd really like a Corvette, but given Harrop Engineering's experience of converting one, it's a massive job. Camaros are apparently much easier, but uglier. Holden design guys have a keen eye for classic cars.
    Paul M

Comment

I’m a bit confused how that “Holden” “Commodore” will fit in the GM world when PSA now owns Opel?

Comment

But a right hand drive Corvette would be 200K wouldn't it?

Let me see shall I buy a Cayman S, used GT4, or a Mustang for 25-50% of the money?

A number of my colleagues are ex GM and they too were in mourning..... its a tragedy, just as Ford and Toyota before it.

Short sighted idealistic governments be damned. If we ever do get any industry back it will cost 10-20 times what it would have done to keep them here.

JR
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I agree Justin. Every country with major car industry construction subsidises them in some way. The Australian Government decision was short sighted and John Button would have been rather angry. There seem to be heaps of used GT4 Caymans suddenly on Car Sales. Interesting. Clyde, was that Alfa a Duetto? Can't see if the rear has the Karmann tail.

Comment

Holden dude in a Mustang... Must be in deep mourning
            John Forcier
            1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
            1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
            Restoration Saga
            1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

And just to be a point of difference... I am completely indifferent to the demise of Holden, Ford, Mitsubishi and Toyota. I never saw where the bottom line value to my tax dollar was. Propping up an industry that had allowed itself to become irrelevant? More than once I walked into Holden with the intention of buying a new car, but walked away each time after a drive of their current model. Each time I ended up with something Asian that was better value and held its resale better than a Holden Conformadore. It was these savings that has kept me in early Porsches
              John Forcier
              1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
              1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
              Restoration Saga
              1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
                I agree Justin. Every country with major car industry construction subsidises them in some way. The Australian Government decision was short sighted and John Button would have been rather angry. There seem to be heaps of used GT4 Caymans suddenly on Car Sales. Interesting. Clyde, was that Alfa a Duetto? Can't see if the rear has the Karmann tail.
                No 1750 Karmann tail Merv and a very nice car with more poke than usual!!!
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President

Comment

Sounds as though it'd be a good TYP901 run/weekend away.
                  Peter Williams #049
                  Secretary TYP901
                  1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

It would be awesome a lot like the first part of the run to Thredbo but none of those fast sweepers which we absolutely adore.

Great night at the Blue Duck Inn sitting around the fire, alcohol in hand and phones switched off (absolutely no service at all for anyone) listening to Harry tell stories
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Working...
                    X