356 details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

356 details

Hi, I've got an option on an uk Rhd 356 T5. It's been stripped. Anyone here already got a registry or know best place to get more details? Chassis number 57655. ID plate 115029
    Thanks Jason.
    Last edited by jason; 17-01-18, 10:16 AM.

Jason,

Get on to DDK (356 Forum) register and ask about it. http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...0ded372ddc4626

Simultaneously, write to one or both of two members there: Mike Smith (mike356@btinternet.com ) or Hendrik Moulds (hendrikm356@gmail.com ). They have the complete list of all RHD cars sold in the UK, most from AFN. They have just finalised a book on all the RHD cars worldwide.

Merv

Comment

Also, shouldn't the main bulkhead stamp be the same as plate?

Comment

yes it should the chassis number is usually in front of the fuel tank on the boot floor

If its ex Uk - get body thoroughly checked, for bad repairs, rust etc etc. As its stripped it should be easier. Better still take a knowledgeable body guy with you

We have #114700 - which my father bought new in Sydney in 1961.

JR
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Good points Justin. Where do you live Jason? Each state has different experts. The large stamp on the bulkhead in front of the gas tank should be the same number as the ally VIN/build plate on the RHS under the hinge area. If not then there could be some issues! Perhaps get (and post/email) images of both? I can also give you a Kardex source if needed.
          Last edited by Merv; 17-01-18, 11:39 AM.

Comment

All great advice. Car is in Ireland at my brothers place. He's got a restoration shop. They stripped it years ago for owner, who recently died. Car maybe becoming available. I'll update once I get more photos. I've asked him to look for other places with stamps. Bodywork not a problem, just looking for original color and spec etc.

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
              yes it should the chassis number is usually in front of the fuel tank on the boot floor

If its ex Uk - get body thoroughly checked, for bad repairs, rust etc etc. As its stripped it should be easier. Better still take a knowledgeable body guy with you

We have #114700 - which my father bought new in Sydney in 1961.

JR
              pretty close number!

Comment

Just remember these were very cheap for years and repairs were often done to a cost.
                '
                Going rate for a full body resto on a 356 - depending upon what sort of a base you start with is generally 40-100K in Porsche restoration places. These guys have the necessary tools and expertise. Don't kid yourself that its simple and can be done for peanuts. Its false economy.

If its spent all of its time in UK / Ireland - it would have been restored once most probably, and it will be rusty.... its just a case of how much.

Its not uncommon for cars to have been cut and shut (complete new nose from another car) back in the day - so if numbers don't match through body walk away

JR
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

The Kardex will show the original state of the car fitment and paint and interior colours. Each car panel should have the last 3 numbers of the VIN ID on it.
                  Last edited by Merv; 17-01-18, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X