No announcement yet.

Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appears to me there was no cell cooling in this experiment? In that situation cells will fail for sure.

Comment

So this presumes most Ev users are just daily commuters and no long distance travel ? In a country the size of Australia, there needs to be plenty of availability of charging stations throughout the land IF we are to see mass uptake of Ev's as you are suggesting. There are plenty of stories circulating that still note the lack of development of EV's by major car manufacturers so the suggestions we will see heaps of drivers changing over in the next few years is extremely optimistic in my opinion.

Time will tell and I will keep reading ALL opinions from all sides but it seems the EV evangelists will still keeping preaching their mantra. The numbers will tell the story eventually.
      sigpicPhil Lack
      TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
      Early 911-S Registry # 690
      R-Gruppe # 367
      '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
      '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
      2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
      1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

EVs are a science based policy response to the science of global warming so “evangelist” the wrong term. Promoter? Absolutely. No presumptions in my comments, that’s just what research says people actually do with EVs. 85%+ of Australians live in major cities (Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world). Australians drive well less than 15,000km a year on average, so can’t be many trips over 400kms in there for most people. Even then, 400km is 4 hours of driving and stop for lunch so no problem with charging. And if range a really big issue, can get EVs with 600km (and growing g). Until COVID19) EV sales on big upward trend. Many countries banning new ICE sales (because of global warming). New Euro standards force EV production (or buy certificates off Tesla, or pay big fines). Multiple manufacturers - including 2nd biggest VW - have stopped developing ICE. So I think we’re past the “if” and it’s just “when”. I think sooner than others but I’m an optimist. When there’s price parity for volume sellers will be a huge moment. EV 1/3 the cost electricity vs fuel, zero maintenance, drivetrain last forever - people will buy them, why not? Altho in the new world of sharing/gig economy, ownership levels will be much lower. Young people just Uber. And when Tesla crack autonomous driving ... well that’s a whole new world ...

Comment

I'll be interested to see if this happens in my lifetime; which could be rather shortened with Covid-19 running rampant.........
          I think Global warming has taken a back seat to more pressing problems for mankind.
          sigpicPhil Lack
          R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Anthropogenic global warming is a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more significant and urgent issue for the planet and it’s living inhabitants (including humankind) than COVID19, but we can address both at the same time, it’s not one or the other. Won’t impede the growth of EV sales at the expense of ICE sales. VW in ramp for ID (which I think will have a massive impact) and Tesla in ramp for Model Y in USA and Model 3 in China, more demand than supply for both which is a nice place to be in. More of a problem for ICE manufacturers who have massive excess production capacity globally. I think the sales numbers for Tesla for Jan-Mar will be really low (<100,000) and the stock will get hammered by the Wunch of Bankers on Wall Street, but doesn’t make any difference really to what Tesla are actually doing (or me as a shareholder). Berlin factory under construction and Tesla in the process of finding a site for Cybertruck production.

Comment

Oops, really hit a nerve.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

No not at all, you’re projecting for the reasons that people project. Just is what it is. Anthropogenic global warming objectively, scientifically much more serious for planet than COVID19. Not applying moral frameworks. I’m a huge ICE fan, my first car was an Alfa 1750 Berlina and I’ve owned a squillion ionic cars inc Cooper S, R32 GTR, 356, M5, 911, AE86 Sprinter (current (beautifully set up, and in many ways better than 911) with motorsports inc superkarts, sprint karts, gravel rally, club sprints etc. IMHO no better ICE sound than a 2.2s MFI at full noise which is why I’ve owned one of them. But not sustainable in face of global warming science. So EV car next best option. Although I have bought a really nice road bicycle and surprised by how much riding that fast is like driving fast ... and then I could try downhill bike with electric motor to get back to top of hill with near zero emissions ...
                Last edited by Bremith; 16-03-20, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Might be good to umbrella the talk about saving the planet under one "off topic" heading rather than multiple grandstanding threads, with questionable motives?

I feel really good about generating all my household energy needs and self sustainable water requirements with measures that I have put in place over the years, and would be keen to hear what other guys in different states are doing, but wouldn't normally use this forum to discuss?

Comment

Taking about EVs (cars) not household energy and water altho I don’t care if you do that in an off topic thread, I certainly wouldn’t carry on like a pork chop about it. None of this is compulsory reading. And EVs only exist because of vehicle emissions contribution to anthropogenic global warming, otherwise I wouldn’t care less. I see you’re still running the conspiracy theory line. From the beginning this thread has been explicitly about the fact that Tesla - more than ANY other company - is completely disrupting the auto industry with the Model 3 and now Model Y. With Model 3 now biggest selling BEV of all time and Tesla selling 368,000 cars in 2019 (and thousands and thousands in Oz since Aug 19) I don’t see anything that has happened since my first post that isn’t consistent with that. Tesla IS Apple of auto industry. VAG (Porsche) has worked that out. There will soon be a battery electric 911. I bought Tesla shares in August 2019 and couldn’t have been more explicit about that.

Comment

All aboard the Tesla roller coaster!

5D5370D2-1150-4E35-A3BA-6B54DF45F97E.jpeg

Comment

The Tesla shorts will like this graph.
                        sigpicPhil Lack
                        R-Gruppe # 367

Comment

Yes, COVID 19 is manna from heaven for shorts.

Comment

Mandated to shut down production in Freemont and Buffalo. Ironically, I understand the China factory, which is (I think?) in Wuhan is producing cars...

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
                              Taking about EVs (cars) not household energy and water altho I don’t care if you do that in an off topic thread, I certainly wouldn’t carry on like a pork chop about it. None of this is compulsory reading. And EVs only exist because of vehicle emissions contribution to anthropogenic global warming, otherwise I wouldn’t care less. I see you’re still running the conspiracy theory line. From the beginning this thread has been explicitly about the fact that Tesla - more than ANY other company - is completely disrupting the auto industry with the Model 3 and now Model Y. With Model 3 now biggest selling BEV of all time and Tesla selling 368,000 cars in 2019 (and thousands and thousands in Oz since Aug 19) I don’t see anything that has happened since my first post that isn’t consistent with that. Tesla IS Apple of auto industry. VAG (Porsche) has worked that out. There will soon be a battery electric 911. I bought Tesla shares in August 2019 and couldn’t have been more explicit about that.

but... do i dare say that EV's are very relevant to the household energy market discussion? if you think that a house uses say 10-20kwh of electricity each day, mostly at night... and if you have a tesla you probably have a 85kwh battery parked in your garage at the same time that there is peak demand on the grid - EV's should therefore be considered transport AND part of a mobile grid battery system?

it just takes some smart people and coding to utilise the available battery capacity without materially impacting people's utility of the EV they have purchased?!?

Richard Griffiths
                              1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Yes I’d agree, EVs will become an integral part of the grid as they become enabled for storage/discharge, by definition they are typically sitting there able to discharge at peak times (before/after work) and charge at peak solar times (midday). I know lots of people are working on it. An 85kwh battery is an ENORMOUS battery.

Comment

Working...
                                X