Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80,000 now

had a viewing at Bris showroom this morning - I like it, but styling is a personal thing.

Comment

Is it true Tesla still haven't turned a profit?
      Find it hard to believe, but even harder to believe how they can continue if that is true ...

Comment

Money has been tipped in like crazy and they have a huge cash burn. It’s expensive to create a car company from scratch and invent Roadster then S then X then 3 (and in development Y, Semi, Roadster 2 and Pickup). And to build whopper doozy battery factories that absolutely dwarf anything else. They make a gross profit on every car (and battery) they make and sell but yes overall they are burning through squilliins. They do a huge amount of stuff in-house which means profits longer term but big costs shorter term.
        word is they will go cashflow positive late this year. still mountains of haters/doubters/shorters of stock/vested interests but increasing number of analysts becoming more positive about the company, if not the share price. Even with 80,000 model 3 built and sold, they have paid deposits for some 400,000 more, including a large number in Australia (probably here “mid next year). I believe they’re hoping to squeeze in under LCT.

Comment

Okay, that makes more sense, and the youtube video posted earlier on this thread shines a little light on securing ongoing revenue from repairs etc too, which would only increase over time as the cars get older and require more maintenance and repairs.

I guess after a $17billion US Gov. hand out you could also argue GM and Chrysler aren't or at least weren't turning profit either, and they've been at it for a little longer ....

Comment

Yes and they make, buy and large, rubbish cars. Tesla have changed the game, will sell more cars than Porsche in 2018 and more than JLR in 2019. If I had my partners support (which I don’t) I’d buy a roadster, which will be Tesla’s “pre A” in 50 years...

Comment

All manufacturers are propped up by govt money in some way shape or form.

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
                All manufacturers are propped up by govt money in some way shape or form.
                Except Tesla, if it can't get in under LCT!

Comment

Just went on the Tesla site ... $7000 immediate credit card payment to 'reserve' a Founders Series Roadster, plus $319,000 US wire transfer within 10 days ... you'd want to be bullish on the company.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                    Just went on the Tesla site ... $7000 immediate credit card payment to 'reserve' a Founders Series Roadster, plus $319,000 US wire transfer within 10 days ... you'd want to be bullish on the company.
                    Maybe you havent been following Mitchells posts......bullish is putting it mildly.

Comment

Roadster 2 is a distraction and a vanity project, like a BMW i8, Porsche 918 etc. The main game is Model 3 which requires a $1500 “reservation holder” to secure your place in the queue. 500,000 plus people have put that $1500 down globally. Unheard of. It’s refundable if you choose to cancel, but still a big commitment. No official details but word is reservation numbers are holding.

Comment

Not really relevant to anything, but I’ve been a passenger in a couple of launches in a Model X P100D in “Ludicrous” mode. The numbers (0-100 in 3.1 seconds in a 7 seater people mover packed with all the fruit and weighs 2,500kgs) just can’t describe the experience. It’s less “acceleration” and more the sensation of being at the end of a stretched bungy cord and released. “Relentless” is the word I would use. Seamless (no gear changes). Crazy. And completely well mannered (no histrionics, not much noise, no wheel spin). Seems to disregard the laws of physics.

Comment

Something else interesting about Tesla is their business model. They own all their showrooms, and they don’t have many. So there’s no one making money on their car sales but Tesla. And they don’t discount. At all. For anyone. Fleet or private. Ever. So the price you see online is the price you pay. Or you don’t buy a Tesla. And they also have a very significant charging network. As well as a relatively small number of their “super chargers” they have “destination chargers” at a surprisingly large number of locations eg hotels etc. These chargers are designed to charge your car while parked.

Comment

I was trying to imagine 0 - 100 in 2.1 seconds .... it's mind boggling. I've only been in model X once (pretty sure it was just the base model) and the acceleration was pretty impressive, and as you described ... elastic and hyper real especially with no sound.

The flat price is refreshing too.

Still not convinced with the lack of repair / maintenance choices outside of Tesla though ....although maybe that will change over time when every other mechanic has the tools and knowledge to repair electric vehicles?

Comment

3.1 seconds. And there’s nothing to fix (electric car specific). Drivetrain has infinite kilometre warranty. Batteries last for a decade (or more). Brakes hardly get used. Suspension/steering will eventually wear, but that’s a hell of a long way down the road. Tyres. That’s about it. No cooling system.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                                I was trying to imagine 0 - 100 in 2.1 seconds .... it's mind boggling. I've only been in model X once (pretty sure it was just the base model) and the acceleration was pretty impressive, and as you described ... elastic and hyper real especially with no sound.?
                                Roller coaster at Ferrari World in Abu Dhabi does 0 - 240 in 4.9s. Awesome experience, and worth doing a few times if you get there. Bit cheaper than a Tesla, and you won’t lose your licence doing it!
                                Scott Rackley
                                1977 Carrera 3.0

Comment

Working...
                                X