No announcement yet.

Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill let the happy clapper comment through to the keeper...

No one knows what’s going to happen with Tesla yet. Anyone who says they do is full of it. There are so many variables. I’ve been following this closely for a long time and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people predict the abject collapse of Tesla within hours/days/weeks/months...but they’re still there, making cars and batteries.

imho history will definitely remember Tesla as the manufacturer that changed the world re EVs, which is their mission statement

Wd I be happy if I was a car manufacturer holding 500,000 paid deposits for a car that people are happy to wait for me to build? Can’t think of anyone else in that position...

fwiw (ie nothing) I think Tesla is now Apple. Some people love apple. Some people hate apple. Some people copy apple. Some people say other products are better. But apple is the biggest company in the US.

oh - and the new hybrid camry is an AMAZING car

Comment

Not sure whether this link will work?

Comment

If it doesn’t this shd and draws on the FT article above:

The road to the future runs through Fremont. Tesla has always been the leader of the EV revolution, and (despite the media nonsense about “Tesla-killers”) that isn’t going to change any time soon. Tesla’s future depends on achieving long-term profitability, and that depends on sustaining volume production of Model 3. So the burning question of the day is, what’s really going on at the Tesla factory? Above: Model 3 surrounded by robots at Tesla's factory (Image: Teslarati) Hoping to answer that question, two well-known auto analysts, George Galliers and Arndt Ellinghorst of the UK firm Evercore ISI, recently spent two days at Tesla’s Fremont plant, where they were granted extensive access to both the facilities and the company’s workforce (as reported by the Financial Times). To date, very few outsiders have been allowed inside the so-called “tent” (actually a lightweight aluminum structure) where Tesla quickly erected a new Model 3 assembly line. Around a fifth of the Model 3 cars built last quarter came off this line. “Given the speed with which the facility was put in place and the associated capex, ignoring the building’s fabric, it looked very much like general assembly at other auto plants which we have visited,” said Galliers and Ellinghorst. Because this line produces only Model 3s, it is simpler than most auto production lines. “The production process involves only 43 steps/stations, 25-33% of the number found in traditional auto. This facility looks set to be permanent and in theory should be able to support much faster cycle times...Initial reservations around GA4 [General Assembly 4], which we voiced in July, were quelled during our visit.” However, not all is running smoothly. “Model 3’s Body Shop and highly automated GA3 General Assembly were extremely interesting given the level of automation attempted and the density of the machinery and limited floor plan which they seemingly occupy. However, while Body Shop line rates were sub 65 seconds at several stations, based off our measurements, and we saw evidence of GA3 3-shift volumes consistent with what the company has guided for, we witnessed stoppages and downtime on both lines. It was not clear how much of the downtime related to scheduled breaks and maintenance vs. unscheduled problems.” “Given red Andons [warning lights], it seems that both lines do continue to suffer teething and calibration problems, though not problems which would prevent Tesla from reaching its near-term production targets.” Quality control, especially inconsistent panel gaps, has been a troublesome issue for Model 3. According to Messrs. Galliers and Ellinghorst, Tesla has made progress in that category: “Panel gaps (chassis build quality) seems to have improved notably and, according to Tesla employees (that have worked at premium brands), are on par with German premium cars. Our subjective impressions confirm that the gap to BMW, Audi, and Mercedes is definitely less pronounced than it was in the past.” Above: Model 3 inside Tesla's

Comment

Tesla Model 3 outsells entire BMW car lineup in August - Autoblog https://apple.news/A0ZGIWjbURwubU_-pUfSFEg

Comment

Let's just start with some numbers. Below are USA sales totals for the month of August from several top luxury car brands. Additionally, I've included an estimate for Tesla's sales in the USA. While we don't have precise numbers from Tesla, there is now confirmation from CEO Elon Musk that Tesla sold more cars in the USA in August than BMW, which means it sold more cars than all the other brands in the headline.

Comment

Comparing Tesla to Apple?
              Really?

Im sure you have a motivation for your feverish promotion, and I guess it’s harmless in this context but I find it a bit scary.

Comment

Yes, in my opinion fwiw ie nothing. Apple invented and brought to market the smartphone and changed the industry forever (anyone bought a Nokia lately?). Tesla has “invented” the mass market EV and (IMHO, the qualifier I always apply) it won’t be long before the internal combustion engine vehicle effectively disappears from the market. My guess is EVs will overtake ICE sales in 5 years and then economies of scale will mean the ICE will all but disappear after that - why buy an ICE when you can buy an EV for less that costs 75% less to power and has basically zero maintenance costs with a powertrain with a life measured in decades?

My motivation for following EV developments closely is 1. I’m a car nut and the shift from ICE to EV will be the biggest change in my lifetime and 2. my concern about anthropogenic global warming (AGW) and the capacity of the EV to reduce transport emissions to almost zero with EVs powered by renewable energy. If you deny the science around AGW then I’ll be up front and say I’m not much interested in your views on EVs (or anything else to do with emissions reductions).

I always find it a bit disappointing when, in a harmless voluntary online discussion people throw in judgemental words like “feverish” and “scary” and impugn the motives of others. I’m just sharing opinions and things I’ve come across. If people aren’t interested in this discussion, that’s fine, don’t read it. If you have a view - differing or otherwise - or something to share, share it. In particular, if you think I’ve shared or said something that is false, feel free to point it out.

Forget about the EV dimension for a moment. I think it’s more than noteworthy that a brand new car company, working from scratch, released its first mass market vehicle in 2012 (an “E Class” vehicle) and just 6 years later is selling more passenger cars (sedans) in the US than BMW. I’m happy for others to suggest what word should be used to objectively describe that achievement.

Tesla’s total vehicle production in 2018 will exceed Porsche’s total vehicle production in 2018. If someone simply pointing out that objectively rather astonishing fact scares you, then so be it.
                Last edited by Bremith; 08-09-18, 01:54 PM.

Comment

so... who's going to be the first one in this club to convert their ICE 911 into a tesla powered beasty?

am i wrong to be tempted?!? having experienced the linear power surge that Tesla has achieved, i'd love to see what it'd be like in a small and light early 911!!!!

Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I’m sure you’ll be surprised to hear that I’m investigating it - have the perfect donor in mongrel 71T. Know a few people. Not sure tho, think I’d be better to wait for a Model 3.

Comment

90832D70-B37F-429F-81FD-667E6903B043.jpeg

Comment

Important colour in previous post is red (China). Worlds biggest car market with extraordinary growth potential. And they have an EV mandate (10%) if manufacturers want to sell cars in China.

Provides an overview of how the NEV mandate will work, summarizes major differences between the interim proposal and the final rule, and evaluates potential impacts.

Tesla is opening car factory in China.

Comment

Bloomberg reports Model 3 production over 90,000 now.

Comment

This is just nasty — what Tesla and its wild young Model 3 are doing to the old guard. Just take a look at the charts (and my notes if you feel like it).

Comment

Attached Files
                              Last edited by Bremith; 18-09-18, 04:02 PM.

Comment

432D9EC0-AC1D-4177-84A7-1DA665264E75.png

Comment

Working...
                                X