X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

And making over 5,000 a week.

Amazing.

I see a good future for electric vehicles in the right circumstances. In smaller nations and those with crowded cities it is a sure thing. e.g., Norway. In Australia we will always have the long distance challenges, but many of us hardly drive that far in our cities and congestion is already a major problem. We no longer have any vehicle manufacturing in this country thanks to government inaction and thus now rely completely on imported cars. Although there are many arguments for and against electric cars, in the end electric vehicles it will happen. The biggest problem is Australia is infrastructure. Our public transport is underfunded and 1980's in design and our energy system so outdated. To rapid charge some of the new generation electric cars could take out the power for your whole street. Our declining tax bases suffers from repeated pre-election tax give aways and we see so little initiative in infrastructure development. It is a mix of circumstances that could see us vulnerable and with little influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
      I see a good future for electric vehicles in the right circumstances. In smaller nations and those with crowded cities it is a sure thing. e.g., Norway. In Australia we will always have the long distance challenges, but many of us hardly drive that far in our cities and congestion is already a major problem. We no longer have any vehicle manufacturing in this country thanks to government inaction and thus now rely completely on imported cars. Although there are many arguments for and against electric cars, in the end electric vehicles it will happen. The biggest problem is Australia is infrastructure. Our public transport is underfunded and 1980's in design and our energy system so outdated. To rapid charge some of the new generation electric cars could take out the power for your whole street. Our declining tax bases suffers from repeated pre-election tax give aways and we see so little initiative in infrastructure development. It is a mix of circumstances that could see us vulnerable and with little influence.
      well that was a positive read for a monday lunch time...
      Richard Griffiths
      1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it Richard. It is a bit sad really.

Comment

yup. but i'm still putting in a 3-phase 20A plug (maybe even 32A) into the carport our new build for future EV use...
          Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Watched this the other day..

Rich is a car enthusiast whose passion is to find wrecked Teslas, bring them back to life, and then share his repair adventures on his YouTube channel Rich R...

Comment

The model 3 has to be one of the ugliest things I’ve laid eyes on.. I’ve had a good look at a few on trips to the US recently and there’s no way one will ever cast a shadow on my driveway... the interior is especially sad. I don’t mind the S and the X but they really missed the mark with the 3 in my opinion.
              '97 993 - new toy
              '95 993 - on the chopping block
              '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

Comment

70,000 now... 4751EC79-E860-43FC-B048-5B987892C7E8.png

Comment

I would expect the true state of the Musk empire will be exposed in the next year or so.

Comment

Tesla’s mission was/is “to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible.” And that’s what they have done, by whatever means I don’t know or much care TBH, any more than I much care about the endless financial and corporate shenanigans that go on behind doors at other car companies (eg Audi CEO was recently arrested for fraud re Dieselgate, for which I think VAG has now also paid something over $20B in fines). My focus is on the outputs and they are extraordinary - Tesla founded in 2003, first car in 2008, the Model S in 2012 and will make more cars than Porsche in 2018 (250,000+).
                      The Model S is a stunning car and still doesn’t have a competitor after 6 years on the market. The closest thing legacy makers have produced so far is the I-Pace (which is very good).
                      The Model 3 is similarly amazing and again there is nothing like it now or near market. And Tesla make a gross profit on every car and hold 500,000 paid orders.
                      Tesla/Musk may go bust (although I don’t think they will) but regardless they have changed the game for the better (for the world), and I suspect the future of the internal combustion engine is about as rosy as that of the CRT in 2000, with EVs being the flat screen (US sales shown).
                      Attached Files

Comment

I was wondering how state traffic authorities (road) tax EV's. Normally they seem to go by the number of cylinders (3/4/6/8)?

Comment

Merv, some numbers taken off the Tesla website on cars for sale:

2018 Model S 100D 5,209 km $176,236

$600 Local Registration Costs

$21,262 Luxury Car Tax

$7,485 Local Stamp Duty

$490 Local CTP

$875 Delivery Fee

So it looks like you save around $200 on rego - thats it. Not a great concession for being so environmentally conscious..
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Bit confusing but I think for EV up to $100k is zero stamp duty. Hybrids 2% up to $100k
                            up to 4 cyl 3%
                            5-6 cyl 3.5%
                            7+ cyl 4%
                            Plus the state government has an idiotic extra 2% for hybrids etc over $100k because “rich people can afford it” (a la LCT)
                            Electric 4% over $100k

Comment

Big issue will be that no fuel excise for EV. Suspect we will see road use charges based on number of kilometres driven, recorded on GPS based system. Bit big brother but can’t see an alternative - especially when you factor in autonomous vehicles will soon be reporting locations at all times centrally and to each other.

Comment

Working...
                              X