X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9er View Post
    Comparing Tesla to Apple?
    Really?

Im sure you have a motivation for your feverish promotion, and I guess it’s harmless in this context but I find it a bit scary.

Yes what is the motivation, 32 out of the 59 posts your's ,7 in a row this page ?

Must be a good commission , let's get talking Taycan ,

They are Porsche after all ")

Comment

I’ve explained my motivation, if you’re interested read it. It’s not financial.

This is in Off Topic. I am sure that the Taycan, when it eventually comes to market, will be a magnificent, very expensive car which will sell in tiny quantities, after Porsche have finally been dragged kicking and screaming to the EV table, particularly after cheating on diesel emissions reporting with its VAG cousins.

Much more interesting will be the full EV 911 when Porsche eventually get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by silbere View Post

Yes what is the motivation, 32 out of the 59 posts your's ,7 in a row this page ?

Must be a good commission , let's get talking Taycan ,

They are Porsche after all ")
        That would be a great contribution to this thread if you would start talking Taycan.

I'm in the dark on all EV's so I find Mitchell's posts interesting to say the least.

Would love to hear someone else with some knowledge or a strong opinion chime in.
        Last edited by ELSPORTO; 20-09-18, 07:36 AM.

Comment

2B0D8C59-1DE4-40E5-8DAC-7717D6FAD1D2.png Broad story on VAG EV plans. Brief reference to Porsche and Mission-E/Taycan. I have a wheels mag with a story on prototype Taycan I’ll upload. If you think electric Panamera with performance like the big battery high performance Tesla Model S (currently the P100D) pthen that’s about 90% of the story.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...n-new-platform
          Last edited by Bremith; 20-09-18, 08:30 AM.

Comment

After saying Porsche wd never do diesels, they then did diesels, and now they’ve dropped them after Dieselgate.

They’ve been saying they won’t do hybrid 911 - now they’re doing hybrid 911.

Personally I will be fascinated to see the full EV 911. Will give them total control over weight distribution (where you put batteries) so they can fiddle around to find the sweet spot between rear weight (to maintain the “911 feeling of a car with all that weight in the arse) and the advantages of shifting some of that weight forward. Plus the packaging advantages of EV mean you cd retain the 911 profile and proportions and have 4 proper seats.

Comment

This article is headlined about hydrogen vs ev (spoiler alert: hydrogen is a dog) but if you have interest in EVs it touches on just about every ev issue eg charging, impact on grid. Dr Dr Jake really knows his sh*t.

https://www.driveelectric.com.au/201...tric-vehicles/
              Last edited by Bremith; 20-09-18, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Love your work Mitchell .... some good reading for me this evening.

Comment

I missed this previously but having been in the car industry for decades I've been watching EV's and Tesla with interest.

Agree with comments about brakes and wear and tear etc but all EV's DO have very sophisticated cooling systems. One of the biggest issues around batteries is managing heat-remember Samsung's exploding phones (same battery tech!)

I've also been saying for ages that Tesla will be viewed by history as either another Apple or Studebaker (or insert any other well known but short lived car co), just not sure which yet.

Hydrogen is interesting and Toyota and Hyundai seem to be backing this rather than plug-in EVs. CSIRO is also doing some really interesting stuff with solar/hydrogen/ammonia.

China's market is about 30 % EVs while we are at around 1%

Big issue around tax with EVs not paying any fuel excise-road user charges? Poor people in 20 year old Commodores paying more for roads than Tesla drivers?

All interesting stuff
                  Jeff Eelkema
                  TYP 901 #132
                  S-Reg #1431
                  69E (project)
                  various bevel Ducatis
                  60s Vespa

Comment

Yes the batteries have heat management systems (at least the good ones - the old Leaf didn’t and they’ve had issues, not sure about the “new” Leaf - which I understand is really just the old Leaf rebodied, which goes to show how the legacy manufacturers just don’t “get” what’s going on.

But to best of my knowledge heating/cooling systems don’t require any servicing for life of batteries and are integrated in to battery “modules”. That’s for Tesla at least. So much going on in the battery space which will likely see the temperature management issues become less and less important. The biggest challenge with Li Ion batteries is bringing them up to operating temperature in cold climates. In general they work better in higher temp climates (to a point).

I agree re how Tesla will be seen in 30 years, but regardless of the fate of the company and its ownership, financial performance etc I’m pretty sure they will be forever remembered as the EV game changer. Without Tesla I think it’s a fact that the EV transition wd by 10 years later.

Comment

Hydrogen fuel cells are my pet interest at moment. The article I linked above goes in to it in depth but the simple physics/chemistry mean that even in the best case (ie 100% efficiency at every point) hydrogen fuel cells require too much energy and water to create the hydrogen and then are too inefficient in converting hydrogen in to electricity (and water) to compete with battery EV. For the end user it means they cost about as much as a petrol car to “fuel” whereas EV energy costs are about 30% of a petrol car. Model S uses about 20kwh/100km and I think Model 3 is most efficient EV on market at about 15kwh/100km

And that’s right now - the laws of physics limit hydrogen efficiency whereas batteries are only getting cheaper, smaller, more efficient and more energy dense.
                      25D8999B-0C9B-439D-AB75-A30D60478407.jpeg

Comment

With the fuel excise question, the excise is (I think) roughly 40 cents per litre. So for a petrol car using 10l/100km at $1.50 a litre, every 100kms costs $15, with $4 in excise.

For a Model S using 20kwh/100km at 35 cents per kWh (for zero emissions electricity) every 100km costs $7.

So when they sort out road user charges, even if it costs the same $4 per 100km, the user is still $4 per 100km ahead.

The gap closes with more efficient petrol cars, but still it’s not a big problem. I assume we will end up with charges based on kilometres travelled from a GPS based system, integrated with vehicle to vehicle communication, autonomous vehicle systems etc.

And there is already an inequality in petrol cars - I average about 4.5 litres per 100km in my 9 year old Prius, so only paying about $1.80 in excise per 100km.

A lead foot in a 20 year old V8 Commodore cd easily be using 18l per 100km and kicking the excise can to the tune of $7+ every 100km.

Comment

Current estimates for Model 3 production Jul-Sep quarterly production are running around 50-55,000. Will know for certain when Tesla releases numbers at beginning of October. And keep in mind they are only making and selling the expensive versions at the moment (long range and dual motor versions) and chewing through the massive US backlog of orders. I don’t think they are exporting any significant numbers yet, and RHD won’t start until mid next year.

Plus Model S and X which I think are selling about 2,000 a month each means 60-70,000 Tesla’s in 3 months.

Comment

James Dyson is building a tech center and test track at an old airfield in the UK. Eventually, he expects up to 2000 engineers will be employed there developing an electric car. But does he have something else in mind?

Comment

Couple of Taycan stories here:

Comment

A7ADD148-3218-4D2F-9127-B9F9F50A7720.jpeg
                                And for the Kombi tragics
                                http://www.thedrive.com/tech/23815/v...nually-by-2025
                                Last edited by Bremith; 27-09-18, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X