Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e72phil View Post
    An interesting fact to consider about charging EV's. I recently read an article about Owners Corporations now having to consider how they will modify (and pay for) changes to infrastrucyture in apartment buildings to accommodate charging of EV's in shared garages. Not all tenants have a car, let alone an EV. And how will electricity be metered so teh EV user pays for energy they use ? Some building have individual meters on the level where the apartment is located. Imagine having to co-locate another meter on the 27th floor but with the EV charging station in the basement ?

The article posed the dilemma faced by Owners Corporations who now have to plan for these changes and figure out who pays.. In some cases, the feed in power to the building is not sufficient to accommodate a large uptake of EV's all being charged (say) overnight. I also muse about driving any long distance in an EV, getting to a charging station and finding a lineup of cars also awaiting charge. How long would you have to wait to get on your way again ?

And if we get a large uptake of EV's where is all the power to charge them going to come from ?

it's a great question - and given how long the infrastructure sits around for, it takes some careful planning.

my brothers and I are doing a development down the coast... 1.5hrs from Melbourne. It's taken a lot of time and effort (and money) with the builder, sparky and Powercorp to make sure that we can have adequate (and only adequate, not amazing) infrastructure for future EV demands on our properties. and that's just to solve from the pit to the houses. doesn't do anything to solve the issues at a grid level.
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Good for you. Always smarter and cheaper to make provision for the future than retrofit later.

Comment

WARNING: BELOW POST MAY BE CONSIDERED BY SOME TO BE MORE F*****G ADVERTISING. PROCEED AT OWN RISK.

Looks like Tesla made money in Jul-Aug 18.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/25/here...aboolainternal

No idea whether the shares are good value. Unclear yet how long they will continue to have demand for 20,000+ Model 3s a month because no one has ever built and/or sold anything like 20,000 EVs a month before. They say they hold 300,000+ paid deposits globally. And they haven’t started selling Model 3 outside US/Canada yet and have introduced a slightly cheaper version there (I think $US45k or $AU65,000ish).

But at least they’ve shown if you make a compelling EV people will buy it and you can make money selling it.

Consistently building 4500 Model 3 a week with target of 7,000.

RHD Model 3 deliveries inc Australia will reportedly start mid 2019 (so probably later ha ha).

Reports that recent results with Model 3 sales/finance performance means Model Y (mid size SUV based on Model 3) will come to market much sooner than previously expected, with production in China.

Interesting times. Model 3 looks like the “Model T” of EVs to me.

Jag sold about 700 IPace globally in Sep 2018. Tesla sold 22,250 Model 3 in North America.
        Last edited by Bremith; 26-10-18, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
          WARNING: BELOW POST MAY BE CONSIDERED BY SOME TO BE MORE F*****G ADVERTISING. PROCEED AT OWN RISK.

ha ha... interesting context for the auto industry as always!!!!!

Richard Griffiths
          1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Another 20,000 Model 3 built/sold in North America in October, total now 116,000+ and production 4,650+ a week and rising steadily.
            Interesting thing about Model 3 is theyre not really cannibalising sales of other BEVs, either Tesla (X or S) or other brands/models, sales of everything else ticking along too. Which IMHO is the flaw in the “Tesla killer” argument - all these BEVs can happily sell alongside each other as people move from ICE to BEV. It’s not multiple manufacturers fighting for bits of 1% of the market like seagulls squabbling over a chip at the beach.

Comment

Comment

Well over 150,000 Model 3 now and Tesla will sell more than 250,000 cars in 2018. Model 3 will become biggest selling electric car of all time during 2019 (overtaking Nissan Leaf). Deliveries outside North America start at beginning of 2019. RHD markets mid 2019 (estimated).

I also see reports first year of production of Taycan sold out, rumoured to be 20,000+ cars. I think that means EV will be a bit less than 10% of Porsche annual production.

And VAG release their ID EV at end of 2019. Interesting times.

Fully electric 911 can’t be far off.

Comment

200,000 Model 3 produced now, almost all of which have been made in the last 12 months and looks like Tesla now consistently making them at rate over 6,000 a week (300,000 a year). Crazy stuff. Biggest selling EV to date the Nissan Leaf with 380,000 sales in 8 years (Dec 2010 to Dec 2018). At current rate Model 3 will have outsold Leaf by mid 2019. Which is about when RHD will arrive here, probably priced just under the stupid LCT threshold and even if its the “base” Model 3 will paste any competitor at that price point (eg BMW 3, Audi A4, Merv C, Jag XE, Alfa Gulia etc).

Comment

Comment

Until they start finding it difficult to source raw materials for batteries....

Cuts to subsidies, concern about battery deliveries and the rise of hydrogen shakes the EV market

A lot manufacturers are regarding electric as a transition to hydrogen.

I have no idea how it will end up - but the whole debate is interesting. Its kind of a modern day beta max vs vhs scenario.

The speed of development is staggering.

JR
                      Justin Reed
                      aka Reedminor
                      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                      1961 356B #114700
                      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Yes, interesting times. “Horse to car” interesting.

Teslas biggest advantage is their integration of battery production.

You still really can’t buy a H2 FCEV, H2 production either cheap and very dirty (CO2) or very clean and very expensive as requires big energy and water inputs. Can’t see how that’s going to change, there is no large scale clean (electrolysis) H2 production anywhere in the world.

VW forecasting 500,000 BEV sales in 2020.

Comment

VW BEV plans (inc Porsche)

3E7075B3-404D-4627-A558-3BD1541FDDFB.jpeg

Comment

battery tech is going to have to work hard to keep up with the changing landscape!

this article (by my brother-in-law) puts an interesting perspective on the speed of development...

Only a small share of the vehicles Americans buy are electric. Even if all of them were, it would take until 2040 to phase out the fossil fuels used to power personal travel and road-bound freight.

Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Yep, interesting times

BMW i3 battery has doubled in capacity since release in 2013. Too bad BMW didn’t make the i3 a smaller Model S (ie like a Model 3) instead of the weird carbon fibre chassis Fischer Technik looking thing it is (although they are good cars).

Latest Model S performance has had a price cut of $80k (to $165k), now has over 600km range and with the extra $10k for “Ludicrous” mode, does 0-100kmh in 2.6 seconds which is ummm ludicrous. And if you’ve ever been in one when they do it, it is crazy fussfree - they just launch like you’re being pulled by an endless bungee cord.

VW has taken 10,000 orders on day one for their golf size EV the ID3

Meanwhile VAG has racked up over $30 billion in fines, payouts etc for dieselgate - including $600M for Porsche, whose “we didn’t know” defence turned out to be BS

VAG execs have found themselves in jail over it and more to come. Hard to believe it cd happen. And diesel as a category on the way out in Europe.

Comment

03CF9629-9076-440D-9059-FA04EC529630.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                X