No announcement yet.

Tesla has cracked 60,000 Model 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think i'll stick to watching from my armchair...
    Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

*I am long Tesla*

Porsche EV Taycan “Turbo” out of bag now. In simple terms has similar performance to top Tesla Model S. Porsche better made and is, well, a Porsche. Very expensive - in Oz looks like $350k vs $150k for Model S. Kind of like comparing Panamera to the cheaper fast 4 doors. Personally I don’t understand the appeal of Panamera.

VW ID (electric golf) out of bag now too - Europe next year, won’t reach Oz until 2022, price here is a guess but in Europe looks like will start cheaper than Model 3 but will have smaller battery and range. Also no doubt better made (re interior materials and panel gaps etc, not the drivetrain and battery). Tesla still has edge over others in battery and drivetrain.

Reveals have been good for Tesla share price (so far!) which IMHO reflects the fact that legacy manufacturers still not revealing a magic ability to build better cars than Tesla for cheaper. Eg sales of Jag Ipace and audi e-Tron peanuts compared to Tesla 3. Porsche will sell all Taycans but again not making many I. The grand scheme of things (30,000?). Tesla will deliver between 340,000 and 400,000 cars this year.

Comment

My first month of Tesla ownership in one pic

D5930428-0C74-4F59-8B08-16CC21378C99.png

Comment

You own stock or the car ?
          sigpicPhil Lack
          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
          Early 911-S Registry # 690
          R-Gruppe # 367
          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Tesla stock. Was going to get a Model 3 as was commuting 400kms a day - but in May moved to Bris inner city (like all good greenie lefties) so makes no sense as hardly drive any more, 24 min walk to work. So have gambled an amount I can afford to lose on Tesla shares. Might get an F car now I do F car kms

Comment

*I am (as of 27 August 2019) a TSLA shareholder*

started this thread 14 months ago (much to the chagrin of some, which is the weird passion Tesla and EVs excite) - Tesla now selling just shy of 100,00 cars every 3 months, which is almost literally as many as they can physically make (they cd probably make a few more Model S and X)

somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 Model 3 sold in Oz in September (Tesla doesn’t report sales to FCAI, sadly) which makes it almost certainly in top 10 and probably in top 5 -starting to see them around the traps, get used to it! Model 3 third biggest selling car in UK in September

I am in front on my shares at this point but expect that to dissolve on 23 October when Tesla announces Q3 results which will invariably be a big loss on big revenues

apparently their China factory is about to start making Model 3 (and Y in future) and Tesla Truck (Ute) reveal November so plenty of roller coaster action coming!

Comment

Selling all these cars and still not making a profit ? Makes those shares of yours look a bit shaky.....
                sigpicPhil Lack
                TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                Early 911-S Registry # 690
                R-Gruppe # 367
                '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Shaky doesn’t begin to cover it. Absolute crap shoot. They’ve made a profit in only 3 quarters since they started, 2 of them the last 2 in 2018

cant see how they will make profit in short to mid term with funding required to produce Model Y, Truck, Roadster 2 etc etc.

not a share for the short term investor unless you’re a true “shorter” of the stock who knows what they’re doing...

Comment

Big sales in Sept as they held up delivery so they could have 1 big month. Believers were happy to wait and lots of temp staff to get deliveries done then everything stops again for a while. Interesting tactic and good PR for short burst. It will be interesting to see how Trump's trade war impacts China plans, I suspect it might hurt for a while. Lots happening in EV space and I feel it one of the big reasons new car sales have slumped, lots of buyers sitting around waiting to see what is around corner. I've been in car game 40 years and never seen a fundamental change happen so fast but most folk still think it is all slow going.
                    Jeff Eelkema
                    TYP 901 #132
                    S-Reg #1431
                    69E (project)
                    various bevel Ducatis
                    60s Vespa

Comment

Agree with all but the first 2 sentences Jeff, but you have an entirely valid perspective, just different from mine. There is no doubt the first 2-3 months will be the biggest (for now) due to pent up demand, but experience in other markets show they have a steady stream of ongoing sales in a dying segment (medium size sedan) where they are killing Merc/BMW/Audi.
                      I think the China factory is a bulwark against the orange effing moron. Model Y will be maybe the biggest test because by the time it is available en masse there will actually be credible alternatives (VWs).

Comment

435140CD-676A-4F7F-91FE-BE34B3ABA6B5.png

Best estimate I’ve seen is this keener who tracks incoming boats and how many Model 3 are on them! He says the boats and cars are still rolling in. My guess is Model 3 will outsell Camry Sep 2019-Sep 2020. There is a way to reconstruct sales from public data but there’s a significant lag. Other markets have proper national systems with public info, but Australia relies on manufacturers voluntarily supplying info to FCAI. Bloody federalism with 7 different transport regimes...grrrr...in QLD we have a LCT ON LCT over $100k! Vic too I think?? Crazy. I wish Tesla wd just report the numbers, makes no sense to me that they don’t, I think it runs counter to their interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Eelkema View Post
                          Lots happening in EV space and I feel it one of the big reasons new car sales have slumped, lots of buyers sitting around waiting to see what is around corner. I've been in car game 40 years and never seen a fundamental change happen so fast but most folk still think it is all slow going.
                          Totally agree with this and it is my whole point of this off topic thread.

I’m not talking up Tesla (altho I can see why people think I am), I am just stunned that Tesla will sell 350,000-400,000 cars this year and 500,000+ next year.

Taycan production sold out before they’ve delivered a car.

You’ve got massive excess capacity in ICE factories globally and then you’ve got EV sales constrained by the rate at which they can make cars - or more precisely, the rate at which they can make batteries, which is what Musk has been saying for years and that’s why Tesla builds battery factories with their car factories because EVs are less “wheels with batteries” than “batteries with wheels”.

Comment

The battery sector have been siting on their hands waiting for the market and now established car makers want batteries the industry can't supply. Most of the battery forward orders have gone to Chinese car makers!
                            Jeff Eelkema
                            TYP 901 #132
                            S-Reg #1431
                            69E (project)
                            various bevel Ducatis
                            60s Vespa

Comment

Yes, one of Tesla’s “vertical integration” structural advantages. And they are (reportedly) diversifying beyond Panasonic with the China factory (I think their partner is LGChem). Lots of people have more experience in making cars than Tesla - but no one (yet) has more experience making batteries for EVs.

Comment

Ok here’s a new take - PROMOTING the sound of EVs...here the sound of future Porsches here

Comment

Working...
                                X