LCT and EU free trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LCT and EU free trade

Hopefully finally get rid of idiotic LCT, but not for a while, and wd Labor govt do it? Huge chunk of price of new 911, I think about 25% of sticker price of base car and just gets higher as prices go higher. Ridiculous.

I agree the LCT is stupid, especially since we don't make cars (or much at all) here anymore. Would impact used car values significantly as well. Some of the gloss might come off some of the used post 90's cars perhaps.

Comment

Yes I wd think impact on used car values wd be as unavoidably significant.
      I never quite understood the linkage to local manufacturing, either at the theoretical level (protective tariffs are economically bad for those that impose them Mr Trump) or practically - what expensive Australian made car was the LCT possibly protecting? Expensive Commodores and Falcons?
      All politics and finances really, govt just couldn’t let go of the wholesale sales tax on luxury cars when gst came in. And Labor snuck it up from 25% to 33% in 08. Imposed something like $700M impost on economy in 17/18.

Comment

Would be good to see thinly veiled political rants like this removed from the forum.

Along with Self Serving Tesla commercials.

Comment

Without LCT, and assuming LCT came straight off the price, 911 list price (pre-on roads) would drop from starting at about $210k to about $180k (ie LCT about $30k or 15%).

On a GT2RS with list of some $670k my guess is LCT is around $130k (or almost 20%).

So as Merv says, wd unavoidably have impact on used market, especially for 1 or 2 yr old cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
            Would be good to see thinly veiled political rants like this removed from the forum.

Along with Self Serving Tesla commercials.
            "Thinly veiled"? I thought it wasn't veiled at all Chris. Many of these challenges do stem from political decisions and governmental policy in this and other nations. Is this thread in 'Off Topic"?

Comment

Yeah ... and don’t get me started on restrictive trade practices and the bans on parallel importing of cars ... LNP talked a big game on lifting that but squibbed it when the vested interest lobbyists got to them ... the same lobbyists trying to eradicate the LCT, for their same vested interests of course.

Comment

Working...
              X