Electric Vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric Vehicles

New thread to continue and better reflect the intention of the content of this:

i-Pace review:

Comment

Interesting stuff Mitchell. It is the future in most countries (in contrast I have just spent too much time and money on diesel particulate filter issues - grrr) but we will always have problems in Australia until we invest more in infrastructure for the charging of these cars (and also some decent high speed rail for goodness sake). Tax give aways and a declining tax base means that isn't going to happen soon.

The conflation of the LCT and electric vehicles also is a problem affecting their costs here. I met a lady yesterday who has a Tesla and she was complaining that she only get 350kms out of it and not 600kms. A reasonable concern but if we had the infrastructure ...

Do you think that the hybrid market in Australia will get a boost out of this transition?

Comment

PERSONALLY and without any vested interest (I am not a holder of shares or any other interest, financial or otherwise, in any EV related company) and just shooting the breeze, I think that 99% of the infrastructure is already there for 99% of vehicle travel by 99% of people. You drive somewhere within half the range of the vehicle and you drive back, park it overnight and charge it.
        - in QLD theres a Qld govt delivered supercharger highway between God Coast and Cairns now, with more being rolled out
        - if you have a Tesla (yes, the dreaded T word) there are also destination chargers around the place
        - IMHO and FWIW (ie nothing) petrol stations will put in chargers as EV sales rise
        - IMHO FWIW (nothing) and from what I read diesel is dying globally thanks to VW etc cheating, plus the NOx emissions literally kill people, esp in densely populated areas.
        In the US Model 3 is killing hybrid sales stone dead. Here, now that the govt isnt paying Toyota to build more outdated Camry Hybrids than people really want to buy, they are bringing in the fabulous new hybrid Camry and although overall sales have halved, 40% are hybrid. My PERSONAL view is that it will come down to economics and economies of scale. When EVs are cheaper than ICE people will buy them en masse. Unusual to see Australia not leading the way in a new technology like it usually does.
        No you won’t get 600km out of Tesla without being a dedicated hyper miler. But batteries are getting smaller, cheaper, lighter and more energy dense, charging faster, lasting longer etc etc so just a matter of time before an EV can have some crazy range with ridiculously short charge time.
        No one seems to care that no petrol car hits its claimed max range - eg I’d like to see someone squeeze 896km out of the 60 litres in the tank of a BMW M3 Competition! In normal use what wd you really get, considering that you would never run it dry, 50l at 12l/100km = about 400km?

and just for fun:

Comment

And EVERY electric car can be charged from a standard 10A general power outlet, albeit slowly. And they are everywhere

Comment

I can feel your passion for this topic Mitchell. I think that charging vehicles slowly at home would require a significant change of habits for many people. I suspect that the recent range of hybrids will be popular for a time, with longer battery-only time. The oil industry isn't about to roll over and let this change all happen easily however, and the new hybrids may get more support, for a while.
            Last edited by Merv; 28-09-18, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I probably wouldn’t use the word “passion”, which cd suggest overweening bias, I wd say “fascination”. We had 2 Tesla’s on loan for 2 weeks at my work for use by the most senior people and we thought that charging wd be an issue, but it simply wasn’t. You just get to work or get home and plug it in, which they did. Takes 10-15 seconds, its no more difficult than charging a mobile phone, except the plug and lead is bigger. At home it’s just a normal plug so like plugging in a vacuum cleaner. And you never have to visit a petrol station again. We were also worried about range, but again, with about 2 dozen different people rolling through 2 cars in 2 weeks we had zero issues. One guy drove Brisbane to Warwick and back (about 150km each way) with overnight stay. Accomodation had already been booked and his PA rang to see if they were able to plug it in - and they already had a Tesla destination charger which gives the quicker 3 phase charging. (One of the reasons the Tesla’s are expensive is because they have the expensive charging conversion stuff (I think AC to DC) in the car so the chargers at destinations can be simpler and cheaper.
              Mitsubishi Outlander plugin hybrid EV (PHEV) gives up to 50km electric only range then switches to petrol electric hybrid mode. If you flog it with air con on min you’ll get 20km EV range. Drive it normally you’ll get 35km EV (had a couple of them on loan too).
              They’ve gone down like lead balloons in Australian market but popular in other markets, particularly where the relevant national government accepts and is engaged with addressing global warming.
              Hybrid RAV4 in Australia in new year.

Comment

I post this not to promote Tesla but to show the real change they are driving in the industry. I doubt this chart will look like this in 2 years, but the S has been on the market for 6 years. 3590E412-037F-4D78-9DB2-EF105FF8A1CC.jpeg

Comment

FA5E5163-535B-45A0-8E1A-D825B20AE7E6.png

Comment

Slight diversion, but again, something I had no idea about until I started digging around after this thread ....

► Binge Watch #RedBullStraightRhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvUycXKV4s&list=PLnyQ78msuPwZ2Nol3N42g6iSrOrWhyW0fMany of you reading this right now g...

Comment

This will be a test of Porsche branding. I can see it doing well in China where there has been rapid growth of EVs.

Not for me however, I suspect.

https://www.porsche.com/australia/ab...iew/article01/

Comment

I have no doubt they will sell them. That’s the thing about EV - whereas the ICE passenger car market of some 75M per annum is completely “mature” and characterised by greater production capacity than demand, the growth potential for EV is very high. With 1M sales in 2017, even with a relatively conservative market share of 20% in 2025 that’s a lot of room for everyone. Esp with China mandating EV sales in the biggest growth market in the world, as only a centrally controlled economy can, it cd be a bit crazy. Or not. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                          Slight diversion, but again, something I had no idea about until I started digging around after this thread ....
                          ► Binge Watch #RedBullStraightRhythm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URvUycXKV4s&list=PLnyQ78msuPwZ2Nol3N42g6iSrOrWhyW0fMany of you reading this right now g...
                          I think EV tech is great for that sort of short format Motorsport application. Really easy to ensure almost absolute parity, inexpensive, simple, effectively choose as much or as little power and torque as you like with minimal cost penalty and energy and maintenance costs basically zero, as are emissions.

Looking at karts myself, leveraging off Formula E success FIA Electric and New Energy Championships Commission has plans for “e-Karting”

https://www.autosport.com/fe/news/12...s-support-race

I haven’t seen anything commercially available yet other than for commercial use.

Comment

61C1DA25-D516-48EA-BE65-F4C6955FA314.png
                            Deeply ironic for a country propped up by a sovereign wealth fund in the form of a giant oil company.

Comment

I worked there for 10 years. They are serious about their own environment. They give 5 years free road tax, free charging for EVs

Comment

Working...
                              X