interesting / odd experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interesting / odd experience

Had an interesting experience the other week… Was walking past the open door of a small warehouse on my way home after work, and saw an older gentleman parking his 993GT. I actually had to google what a 993GT was… something like a 993GT2 ? – about 60 road going versions produced if I am not mistaken. Anyway, I walked in and introduced myself as any good p-car enthusiast would. Friendly 77 year old guy who appears to be an eccentric car nut with lots of cars (mostly p-cars I think, including a 996 cup car). Stood around talking cars for far too long as you can imagine.

Then, as I was leaving he asked if I wanted to sell my car. I responded with a ‘hmmm… hadn’t really thought about it”… then ran out the door to pick the kids up from school (yeah, i was a bit late!!).

That question started some vague thoughts about contemplating thinking about possibly selling it (can you sense the hesitance?)… was just trying to be objective given that I just don’t drive my car anything like as much as it deserves at the moment, and haven’t for a while now. still don't know the answer.

So… the other evening I was walking past his warehouse again and he came out and asks “seriously, how much do you want for your car?”. I’m really not certain what my car is worth, nor whether I really do want to sell, but suggested he should just come over and at least have a look at it anyway (about 900m up the street) – after all, surely everyone like that enjoys standing around looking at and talking about cars?

His response was that he doesn’t have time to stand around talking about cars that don’t have a potential deal at the end of it!!

Is it just me, or is that just a bit odd?!? don't think i have met any car enthusiast who doesn't want any opportunity to look at another car and talk about it...

Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Richard my take is that he sounds like a bit of a dealmaker cashed up and looking to pick up a bargain. Lacking any motivation until he knows how motivated you are and that the car is well priced from his point of view.

Comment

I’m not the best person to answer, as I am not able to form any sort of attachment to inanimate objects like cars.

That said the market is very soft at the moment and if you were inclined, he has shown genuine interest and has obviously looked at everything that is on the market, so without knowing your car, I would just throw a number out there, for some reason $180K sounds good to me, but of course you will have your own number, but whatever it is be a little bit flexible and maybe move the car on and do something that you are more interested in.

Comment

Richard
        I know that little warehouse, he has a nice collection of cars. I recently sold my targa so I totally understand the thoughts currently going through your mind. My targa was in storage for over 2 years whilst I’m building a new family home. I probably drove it 5 times and realised how time poor I was. My weekends are spent driving 3 boys under 13 to soccer games. In the end it was a difficult decision, I thought I was going to keep the targa forever but I guess everything has an expiry date.
        Take your time making making your decision, it took me 3 months. If you do decide to sell it, keep some money aside and buy yourself another toy.
        Peter D

TYP901# 233
        911T Coupe 68
        911E Targa 73
        911E Coupe 72 (sold)
        1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

What did you buy then Peter?
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
            What did you buy then Peter?
            Still have the 68, that’s enough for now.
            Peter D

TYP901# 233
            911T Coupe 68
            911E Targa 73
            911E Coupe 72 (sold)
            1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Hit him with a number, if he comes and looks your on your way to making a possible deal.

[QUOTE=9er;n171188]I’m not the best person to answer, as I am not able to form any sort of attachment to inanimate objects like cars.

You sure about that Chris?
              Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Actually a ‘cashed up dealmaker’ really resonates... maybe not even that much of a car fanatic... but loves a deal.

well, guess i need to decide if i really do want to sell... then pick a number. If he doesn’t like it, then such is life i’ll just have to keep it!!!

(might need to wash the dust off it though)
                Richard Griffiths
                1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Bit over a week, did you make a decision and wash the dust off?
                  Aus del 68 911S

Comment

good question Sean. no decision either way and the dust is still there.

was in the garage building some shelves on the weekend... and i liked having it there - an expensive piece of art i guess.

til the next time i drive it and remind myself that i'd be crazy to sell it?!?
                    Richard Griffiths
                    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

I'd keep it.
                      Wash it and go for a drive instead before the rain sets in.
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                      X