Audi A1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audi A1

I'm contemplating a used manual Audi A1 for my kids to drive. Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm specifically after a small hatchback with *high* ANCAP rating, and even wifey agrees the kids should at least understand what a manual is, even if they'll be driving EV's and jetpacks for most of their lives.. But I'm not totally wedded to the A1.
    '97 993 - new toy
    '95 993 - on the chopping block
    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

A used A1 presumably would be out of warranty - and as the VAG cars get older and higher mileage - running / maintence costs increase..... My 8 yo Golf GTI with 100K klms on it made my 911 look realtively cheap to run by comparison in 2021!

I would be looking at something newer or a demo with as much warranty as possible. Very few of the newer cars these days do not have 4 or 5 star ancap ratings. Even a Kia Picanto / Rio has a 5 star rating.

I guess high ancap rating is a relative term though - a car tested 3-5 years ago would not be 5 star today. So define high in the context of 2022?

So I'd be going as new as possible , with as much warranty remaining as possible. Look at the Korean product ( Kia , Hyundai), Japanese ( Mazda 2, Suzuki, used Impreza?).

Manauals could be challenging to find - I know the Picanto GT is sold as a manual.

Full disclosure - I work for an automotive importer and used to work for Kia and Subaru....

JR
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Good feedback - thanks Justin.

Re: ANCAP - agreed - all was after was something that for its year was graded as high.
      Last edited by pocketscience; 03-02-22, 12:27 PM.
      '97 993 - new toy

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
        A used A1 presumably would be out of warranty - and as the VAG cars get older and higher mileage - running / maintence costs increase..... My 8 yo Golf GTI with 100K klms on it made my 911 look realtively cheap to run by comparison in 2021!

JR
        Yep,
        I got rid of my mk6 man gti (102k kms), lots of little things started to play up/go wrong.

Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Gavin,
          We have a A1 that we purchased new 6 years ago. It's a great little car, DSG box, 20k's.
          What the other guys say above is true, main dealer servicing costs are OTT eg we needed the timing belt changed, $2500 from Audi Necastle, $1200 from the local european indi servicing.
          Same motor in the A1 and the Golf, totaly different servicing requirements, above belt for the A1 4 years, Golf 6 years ... but with Audi's new 5 year warranty/ servicing deals I'd probably buy a new one
          Craig
          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
          1972 2.4E Targa project
          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Craig.. given this is for teenage kids I really can't justify a new car for them to play dodgems with. I had originally been looking at an Impreza (we love our Outback), and have wandered back in that direction now vs the A1.
            '97 993 - new toy

Comment

Why not get them something bullet-proof like a Toyota Corrolla and spend some funds on a driving course once they have had some on-road experience. Worked very well for my kids. I also "invested" in a good go-kart for my youngest son Tim when he was around 14. He became a very good driver and also learned to drift. The best thing it taught him was awareness of traffic around him as the public sessions at the track we used was a mixture of all types of karts incl 250CC, 6 spd rocketships. So heading into a fast corner made him very aware of who was around him and about to dive umder him.

Good luck with the new drivers.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              sigpicPhil Lack
              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
              Early 911-S Registry # 690
              R-Gruppe # 367
              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Unfortunately I think the car gene skipped these kids, so as much as I'd love to get a kart for them I'm not sure it would pass muster. Great pic btw! I hear you re Corolla - wifey agrees - that was her first car. Driving courses are a given.
                '97 993 - new toy

Comment

Re the driving courses, I am talking about more advanced driving which are best undertaken after 6-12 months of on road driving by which time your kids should recognise their imitations. My eldest son did a one day course with an instructor and he said he really learnt a lot and it has helped his driving. My first 2 kids didnt inherit the car gene but my youngest, Tim, certainly did. I guess all those TYP901 runs where he was a passenger helped a lot in getting him hooked. And the gokart definintely cemented his driving skills well before he was unleashed onto the road. Good luck with the journey with your kids. The Corolla should work, if you can find one on the used car market these days.....
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post

Yep,
                    I got rid of my mk6 man gti (102k kms), lots of little things started to play up/go wrong.

what did you replace it with Sean?

Sorry I'm taking this thread a little bit off thread.

JR
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                    1961 356B #114700
                    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post

what did you replace it with Sean?

Sorry I'm taking this thread a little bit off thread.

JR
                      I didn't .
                      picked this up recently tho (5cyl xr5) for $1500, needs some engine work.
                      20220204_085753.jpg 20220204_085821.jpg
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Working...
                      X