Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying! Advice on New Daily Driver Needed

Hi All

It probably makes no real sense, but wifey and I are considering buying a new car to replace the 2001 Ford Escape we have.

Our reasons aren't great other than I need to salary sacrifice. We currently do under 10,000km per year, so there's not even that great an incentive... However with the new little Forcier, we thought some of the latest safety stuff couldn't hurt.

Wife doesn't want another Griswald Family Truckster, so I'm after advice on a sub $60k 4 door sedan other than a Ford or Holden. I've never taken out a novated lease before, but I understand there is a payout figure at the end and obviously the less the car devalues, the better...

I don't have any great preferences.

So, spend my money...
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Subaru Liberty wagon....there will be another child remember!!!!
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

volksy R36 wagon. don't tell mrs forcier about the 300hp.

Comment

I'd keep the ride height.

Bending in and out of a low car carrying a kid will soon cripple you!

RR Sport ?!
        Cam Arnott
        Looking for engine #6208151
        1970 911E (Sold)
        '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Banned from wagons

So far...
          Passat R36
          Subaru Liberty
          Citroen C5
          Volvo S40/S60
          Saab 9-3/9-5
          Renault Laguna
          BMW 323
          MB C200
          Audi A4
          Lexus IS250
          John Forcier
          Restoration Saga

Comment

John, I've just gone through this excercise.

Been driving an H6 3.0 Outback for the last four years. I thought I was going to replace it with a new Liberty, but I saw some pre-release images and changed my mind.

Long story short, I bought a new R36 Passat.

3.6 DI V6 220kw 350nm 6spd DSG 0-100 5.6 sec. 250km/h 4motion (awd)

auto lights, auto wipers, excellent sports seats, bi-xenon lights, all standard.

The Passat is smaller than a Commodore and a little larger than the Outback/Liberty.

I like the look of the Audi A4, only problem is it's fwd and Quattro takes us into the $80k territory.

I even looked at the Merc C220 CDI (stop laughing) not much hp but 400 nm of diesel grunt, and surprisingly smooth. It was a nice car but ultimately to small. The family Merc I'd have would be the E320 CDI. Maybe when I'm a little older...

Back to the R36. If you qualify for a corporate discount which VW offer you can bag yourself the R36 for a little under $65k. I reckon thats a lot of well screwed together car for the money. I can't wait till mine arrives in December

Comment

John, have you ordered the CC or the C? I note there seems to be two variants. I believe I do pick up the corporate discount, but a lot will depend on the trade-in I'm offered. I bought my father-in-law's Jetta for him last year (he hates the process), and I was well impressed with it for the coin.

I'm also strangely drawn to the Alfa 159... What does Clarkson say about Alfas; "I wouldn't recommend them to a friend, but I have one myself"
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

I've ordered the R36 in a wagon

The R36 is available only in sedan or wagon form.

The CC is a 4 door coupe shape,very nice, but with its sculpted rear seats it is strictly a four seater. It also lacks the sporting options such as seats and
                susspension, has the 300 hp donk though.

"I'm also strangely drawn to the Alfa 159..." I'm not game enough to buy an Alfa as a new daily driver, but a 105 GTV for occasional fun yes please

Comment

Please don't ever mention the V car here again!

Not sure about Qld, but a wagon can park in loading zones, so Mrs B get a lot less tickets in her wagon.... also John Jr will need bike and scateboard space...

happy hunting, go the volksie, you know it's now a Porsche, or is that the other way around ?

Comment

Depends upon your budget John.

Vdubs, sound good. Are you buying new or low mileage 2nd hand? You also need to work out how long you're going to run the car for.

If used I'd go for one of the last 6 cylinder current shape Liberties sedan or wagon, or an Outback, or a used STi Liberty ( I reckon the current shape is the best looking) . They go well, handle well, and if looked after are just like old 911's. A Japanese Porsche!

If new, and you intend to flick before the warranty ends then the V car might suit dependent upon your budget. Based on past VW ownership and 'stories' I've heard around the traps I don't think I'd like to own a VW outside of the warranty period. Just ask anyone whose run a Gen 1 Cayenne for an extended period about the electrical dramas they've had.
                    Justin Reed
                    aka Reedminor
                    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                    1961 356B #114700
                    Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I'd second the R36 wagon.

Angelina loves her RR sport which our girls easily clamber in and out of (6/12yo). The air suspension is also great for access.

FWIW I'd keep away from the A4 unless it's covered by a manufactures warrantee. Crap build quality and expensive to fix.
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

John,

Go the wagon - really! We struggled with the the wagon concept initially but haven't looked back. Liberty GT Wagon with go fast STi options is a pretty good all around package (and we cart 1 x 15mth old and an oversize dog no problem!).

Good for hauling car parts too (but don't mention that..).

R36 wagon is a great alternative (they handn't come out when we got the Liberty).

Comment

John,

I was a subaru fan with liberty and forester before, but our last purchase was a Passat TDi and the interior and quality is so much better than the Liberty. We have had the Passat since 2006 and still loving it. We bought the sedan but I think we should have got the wagon they look way better than the sedan.

Your choice would be which version of the Passat wagon
                          TDi, 2.0 turbo, V6 awd or R36.
                          GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

John, the choice is simple.
                            A 1971 280SE 3.5 Benz.- 2 owner, full history, 12 months rego, matching nos. etc Always garaged, been in family since 1986 and only driven occasionally on Sundays by very careful little old agnostic golfer . - and the good news, it's well under $60k :p
                            Attached Files
                            Peter Williams #049
                            Secretary TYP901
                            1971 2.2T light ivory (36407-H)

Comment

The whole wagon vs sedan is a big issue with Mrs F... She's still struggling with the whole family thing And she's been a passionate hater of anything soccer mum for such a long time.

I agree the newer 'estates' from europe look quite tasty to me. I got my way with the soft-roader when we lived in Townsville by insisting 4x4s don't come in sedans... A Subaru will be a tough sell to her as the most frequently driven vehicle by Qld CUBs (cashed up bogans) a part from a ute, is a WRX

Regarding new vs old, I'm ambivalent. But I am keen for low milage and/or good warranty. I can get a novated lease through work and am looking at 3-4 year lease which seems to be the average warranty period - we'll never get near 100,000km (current car has managed only 75,000 in 8 years)

I do need to see the friendly financial counsellor to get the sums right. As I said, I don't really need to change cars, but Mrs F and I are trying to make the best of our income and tax liabilities. If I have to drive a nice car, then so be it

Any opinions on a demonstrator or 'slightly used' BMW or MB?
                              John Forcier
                              Restoration Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X