Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swepco 201 in Oz

Hi Guys

After having Hayden Burvill (Wevo) stay with me last month and discussing everything 'gearbox', I decided to get myself some of the Swepco 201 that he and the 'Mericans rave about.

A check of Pelican had a 1 gallon container coming in at around $150AU delivered (mainly shipping costs). Eventually I got on to Nas from Petroleum Distributors Australia, who is now bringing in the 1 gallon containers of 201 in addition to the industrial sized 40 gallon jobbies that the mining industry chew through. Apparently he's heard that Porsches love the stuff, but don't need buckets of it...

Anyway, he now has 1 gallon containers available for $100 inc gst. It cost me $50 in postage for 6 containers to be mailed to Brisbane (for myself and other p-car friends) which brought the total in at around $108.50 delivered.

I'm very keen to try it out and see if I can tell much of a difference between it and the Castrol Syntrax I'm currently running.

For your reference if anyone's chasing Swepco...

Cheers
    John Forcier
    1969 2.7RS spec 911B(astard)
    1968 2.0S spec 911 Race Car
    Restoration Saga
    1962 CB77 P3 TT Race Bike (looking for another engine)

Nice work John

I've just had some delivered with some other stuff via Pelican, hopefully I'll have the chance at Xmas to put it in and see how it goes but nice to know there is now a local source.

Cheers, Cam
    Cam Arnott
    Looking for engine #6208151
    1970 911E (Sold)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 (Sold)
    2 x Split Screen Kombis
    TYP 901 Register # 78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Well I climbed under the car and did the dirty work... Gearbox oil changes are a pain in the arse and bloody messy! But I took the Syntrax out and flushed the box with a cheap mineral oil before putting the Swepco in. It was nice to see no major metal on the plug magnet.

Swepco is very blue... matches my car I haven't had much of a chance to take the car out for a spin. I'll be honest and say in a short trip around the block, I didn't notice any difference (I have a balking 1-2 shift). But reading up on the stuff suggests I'll begin to notice a difference after a few more miles.

Have you put your Swepco in yet Cam?
      John Forcier
      Restoration Saga

Comment

Not yet mate, I think it will have to wait until the car gets up here in another couple of months.
        Cam Arnott
        1970 911E (Sold)
        2 x Split Screen Kombis
        TYP 901 Register # 78
        Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

Hi guys,

just wondering how the 201's going?

John, have you noticed any improvement with more use?

Comment

Mine's in.

Seems to have made a difference. Its less baulky than it was for sure.

I like it!
            Cam Arnott
            1970 911E (Sold)
            2 x Split Screen Kombis
            TYP 901 Register # 78
            Early S Registry # 1076

Comment

I just haven't driven the car enough lately! I can say that it shifts a little better when cold. But honestly, I haven't put more than 300km on the car since it went in However I do have some track days coming up (gota get my national rally licence).
              John Forcier
              Restoration Saga

Comment

I am looking at changing the gb oil over the summer break.
                Is Swepco worth the hassle?
                GroupS 76 3.0 Carrera http://typ901.org/showthread.php?t=4220

Comment

Hi Hung

It's really no more hassle than putting any other oil in once you've got it. Now that there is a supplier in Oz bring it in (in 4ltr/quart containers). The supplier was quick and easy to deal with and charged only actual shipping via Australia Post.

I just haven't really driven the car much this year, so can't tell you about the changes I've noticed - not objectively anyway. My gut tells me it's been getting progressively nicer to shift with first certainly becoming easier to select even with my dodgy synchros...
                  John Forcier
                  Restoration Saga

Comment

John,

Any more info on the Swepco 201. I am changing the oil soon and wondering if it is the go or not.

Jim

Comment

Jim, Swepco 201 is what I've continued to use with no issues. I understand a member on the board here is importing it?

There are threads everywhere prattling on about the best oil...
                      John Forcier
                      Restoration Saga

Comment

I got some about 12 months ago from, as I recall, an agent in Aus. Seems like there is a new one? It has been very good and is still perfectly clean.

Comment

I am also interested in purchasing some. I have had difficulty in finding an Aus supplier. Keen to jump on board if it's available. Cheers
                          Mick

Comment

'Vintage Race Parts' is a member of this forum and is importing it at a reasonable price. A search in the member details should locate his details.
                            Last edited by Fishcop; 22-05-14, 02:19 PM.
                            John Forcier
                            Restoration Saga

Comment

Thanks John.
                              Mick

Comment

Working...
                              X