Retro Classis Aircon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retro Classis Aircon

I've been following their PP thread for a while, but it now looks like it's pretty close. Here's a link to a photo they posted on their facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/ClassicRetr...type=3&theater

Original thread here - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ditioning.html

Cool

Comment

Interesting Jason. I was talking too Jim the other day about these electric compressors.

So it started at the vent probe at +50* after being in the sun on a hot day, and then got down to less than 8* which is pretty good and comparable to a regular motor driven AC unit. I do wonder about the electric power drain, however, and suspect that a higher output alternator could be needed in earlier cars (less likely to have AC anyway) and some changes to the voltage management in the car could also be needed. All possible I suspect, as the designer suggests.

Comment

Can't wait. Let's hope Brexit = cheaper. I already have a K3 alternator
        Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

Now complete and available @ £2,995:

They note that requires 95A alternator + higher current cable from alternator. Has a test doc on there that (if I understand correctly) says it draws about 50A when operating full blast.

looks pretty good to me.

IMG_0137.PNG

Comment

Hi all

Has anyone installed one of these units?

Any other options that should be considered?

Cheers
            Adam

Comment

A/C unit ordered + upgraded alternator. Also ordered a new fuse box. Plan to pick up after x'mas when I am back in the UK (if I go now ...)

Cheers
              Adam

Comment

Would be keen to know how this goes
                '71 911 T 2.7
                TYP 901 Register #16
                Early 911S Register #2460
                Looking for engine # 6112862

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                  A/C unit ordered + upgraded alternator. Also ordered a new fuse box. Plan to pick up after x'mas when I am back in the UK (if I go now ...)

Cheers
                  Adam
                  Adam, wont you get slugged with VAT by having it delivered locally in the UK ?
                  sigpicPhil Lack
                  TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                  Early 911-S Registry # 690
                  R-Gruppe # 367
                  '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                  '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                  2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                  1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Originally posted by e72phil View Post

Adam, wont you get slugged with VAT by having it delivered locally in the UK ?
                    Hi Phil

Yes I have paid VAT. VAT reclaim is an issue when buying as a private individual - I would need to buy as a company and then pay GST on the product + insurance + shipping.

Regards
                    Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AdamGill View Post
                      Hi all

Has anyone installed one of these units?

Any other options that should be considered?

Cheers
                      Adam
                      No, however I'll be interested to hear how you get on Adam. I dealt with Johnny Hart from Classic Retrofit a few years back over a CDI unit, great chap to deal with.

Other options.........was your car originally fitted with A/C? I only ask, having just been down this road with the 1985 930 which using 134a I could only get to 14 degrees at the vents. It was OK up until a sunny 28 degrees or so ambient temperature. Above that it struggled to the point I didn't take the car out if over 30.

I subsequently vacuumed and flushed the A/C system, changed the R/D, refilled with the correct qty of oil and used HyChill as opposed to 134a and now it's 5 degrees at the vents. Even today, late 30s in Melbourne it works great. At last.......

Comment

could be a great option given yesterday and today!!!
                        Richard Griffiths
                        1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Have a look at Home Built by Jeff on U Tube or Facebook, he iis in Bowral and has begun an installation

Comment

Hi all... before anyone (esp. in Melbourne) goes ordering one of these kits from O/S, speak to Steve Varasso http://www.svautoelectrical.com.au/ in Ringwood. He has done a few A/c refits on G-series cars so I'm sure he may have an option for 901's as well. He is well-known in the classic car scene & you won't find a nicer guy to deal with.
                            Mark Munro
                            '69 911T (sold)
                            '76 911 Carrera 3.0 coupe
                            '69 MG Midget Group S car
                            TYP901 Register #196

Comment

As the UK kits require a 1500 pound deposit, they are not going to be cheap, so a local solution sounds best, thanks Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X