Option instead of original sports seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Option instead of original sports seats

I am kind of outing myself here by posting this but thought some of you may be craving the $15k plus restoration recaro sports seats that are missing from your car and I have found a much cheaper alternative

I was alerted to a gentleman from Holland who was making reproduction single locker sports seat frames and sliders....he is and they are good, very very good. I bought a set and have suggested a couple of minor changes which he has done to make them next to near perfect repros.

I had also seen seats done by Deser via Mr Fiat in the USA they look spot on repros for the originals same side recliner and adjuster.

I decided to marry the 2 together, Deser sports seats bolted straight up to the repro frames without even a hitch and I now have a set of original looking seats in leather and houndstooth for half the price of a set of restored originals.

If I hadn't told you here no one would have ever noticed I don't believe. IMG_4561.JPGIMG_4572.JPGIMG_4573.JPG
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Agreed look nice, but still an expensive knock off.

Comment

wow they look great..... so we are talking 5-6K vs 15K then...?

I like you Clyde remember when these seats were 1000 bucks, and while I really appreciate originals - 7K could be spent elsewhere on the car. So I reckon its a great alternative, and virtually indistinguishable from the far more expensive originals, besides I'm always looking for the deal.... it must be my accounting background!

JR
      Justin Reed
      aka Reedminor
      1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
      1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
      1961 356B #114700
      Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Great option Clyde - the seats look great!! Looking at these from Deser - how do these tilting mechanisms compare with your Dutch ones?
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Erwin Tan
        TYP 901 Member #467
        72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Comment

For you to say that Clyde, they must be really good.

Comment

Originally posted by Skins View Post
            Great option Clyde - the seats look great!! Looking at these from Deser - how do these tilting mechanisms compare with your Dutch ones?
            Those look OK but have the modern pull bar at the front not the lever on the side for the for and aft movement and hence did not meet my requirements i.e don't look right!!!
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President

Comment

Originally posted by Merv View Post
              For you to say that Clyde, they must be really good.
              They are fabulous Merv, they made a couple of mistakes which I have pointed out to them and they are fixing, minor but critical errors
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

If only your skills could be put to good use on SWB stuff

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor View Post
                  wow they look great..... so we are talking 5-6K vs 15K then...?

I like you Clyde remember when these seats were 1000 bucks, and while I really appreciate originals - 7K could be spent elsewhere on the car. So I reckon its a great alternative, and virtually indistinguishable from the far more expensive originals, besides I'm always looking for the deal.... it must be my accounting background!

JR
                  I think by the time duty/freight was paid it was a touch over $8000 AUD all done USD v AUD around 75.8c at time of purchase and vendors willing to help with invoicing to keep those nasty GST and duty charges to a minimum

Frames were $2k USD
                  Seats were $1720 USD each but you could by leatherette and houndstooth for $1420 each hence saving $600USD and the dollar is 80c right now so jump on in!!!

Some nice matching seats for your car available at Deser, Justin.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                    If only your skills could be put to good use on SWB stuff
                    Restoring a set of 68 sports seats currently, my first attempt at SWB anything
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post

Restoring a set of 68 sports seats currently, my first attempt at SWB anything
                      What are the '68 sports seats gong in Clyde?

Comment

Hopefully someones 68 when I am finished
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

I think I have the picture

Comment

Bumping this as a reference for Adam looking at Deser seats as an option.

With Deser slider option to massively reduce cost these seats are a real option in my opinion.
                            Last edited by Terminator; 11-07-18, 09:53 PM.
                            Clyde Boyer
                            TYP 901 Register Inc.
                            President

Comment

Hey Clyde,

THANK YOU very much, once again! As you know, I am new to the 911 resto scene, so finding these contacts / recommendations is really helpful. I am right now looking at my 71T and asking myself if I go OCD 100% factory correct, or let myself move toward a warmer version of the same (aka T/R). These seats really help push me toward the later... and then last night I saw your green ST project and really lost my Sh%$#... My S calipers are on their way from PMB, and I can only imagine how good these seats would go as well. Time to raid the Piggy Bank... again!
                              Last edited by acf321; 12-07-18, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X