Classic tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic tyres

What are the thoughts about Pirelli Cinturato CN36 versus Michelin Classic XWX for my 1970 2.2s - 185/70/15

Both are period. I have the latter. Depends what your car came with originally and what you like the look of. Given the mileage we do and the life of tyres, both are expensive.

Comment

i have xzx but they are 165
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

My 2 cents - I prefer the look of the Michelins

Comment

CN36s are great handling tyres, but due to the tread pattern have a tendency to pick up small stones and flick them around the wheel well. This makes for a noisy drive if you hit patches of stones or drive on dirt roads.
          I can’t comment on whether or not XWXs do the same.

Comment

Mine are 185.
            Attached Files

Comment

IMG_1306.JPG Like Merv I have XWX 185's and I don't recall having any of the stone pickup issue of the CN36's as mentioned by Scotty.
              Mark Evans
              1966 912 5 gauge
              1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

CN36's N4 compound ( Porsche worked with Pirelli on them).

I can confirm they are great - and they do chuck the stones around a little but I imagine all of the original style tread patterns are not as open cut as contemporary tyres.

185. You have period moulds, but modern construction and compounds. Best of both worlds.

JR
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by hyphen911s View Post
                  What are the thoughts about Pirelli Cinturato CN36 versus Michelin Classic XWX for my 1970 2.2s - 185/70/15
                  I'm running the Avon CR6ZZ on my 71S. It's a great tyre, available in Australia in the correct sizes. Despite being described as "a road legal race tyre" I've found it to wear well and be particularly good in rain.

Avon CR6ZZ tyres. Dougal from Longstone Classic Tyres talks about Avon CR6ZZ Classic tyres. Please visit our website: https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/vintag...
                  Last edited by npvpositive; 28-01-18, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I bought a set of Avons too ... yet to run them. Bit shocked at the tread wear rating of 80

My bf goodrich t/a's are rated 400 ....

Comment

If you look at the thickness of the sidewall of the Avon Tyre you can see why it should not be compared to the Michelin or Pirelli tyres.
                      They are designed to be supple and pliable to create a ride as close to the tyres of the era, whereas the Avon is effectively an R spec tyre and changes the ride characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                        I bought a set of Avons too ... yet to run them. Bit shocked at the tread wear rating of 80

My bf goodrich t/a's are rated 400 ....
                        It's a softer competition compound, but I'd be surprised if many of us put enough km on our cars to wear out a tyre in 5 years. With our typical "light use" you do have to be disciplined about rotating the tyres regularly or you'll end up with flat spots. I remember someone (Hugh?) had a problem with this.
                        Last edited by npvpositive; 30-01-18, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                          If you look at the thickness of the sidewall of the Avon Tyre you can see why it should not be compared to the Michelin or Pirelli tyres.
                          They are designed to be supple and pliable to create a ride as close to the tyres of the era, whereas the Avon is effectively an R spec tyre and changes the ride characteristics.
                          The sidewall on the Avon is definitely stiffer. I've never run the Pirelli or Michelin alternatives so I can't comment on the impact on ride quality . . . seems fine to me though.

Comment

the Pirellis ride beautifully - much better than the A048R's I have on a spare set of wheels.

They also grip really well.

JR
                            Justin Reed
                            aka Reedminor
                            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                            1961 356B #114700
                            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                            X