Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought Merv's car

Yes I recently bought Merv's LHD USA 68

Merv has done a lot of great work on the car but I will put a different spin on it taking it back to a more original look ...gee there is a surprise.

I have already sourced 5 chrome steel wheels correctly dated to re install on the car. Currently being re-chromed in the USA and they will be expensive to ship as they are heavy!!

I have re-installed the wooden wheel instead of the stacked Momo and purchased a bat wing horn push from Chris Fryer (thanks Chris).

Paintwork on the car is very nice, as most of you know Merv had it fully repainted, I will do some work on the chrome and anodising to bring it
    up to the same std as the rest of the car.

Needs a correct colour headlining and visors currently they are all black and the inside needs a bit of a lift.

It has BF Torino seats with red/white/black pepita, I have the comforts as well and may get them retrimmed in
    B/W pepita......may is the operative word.

Nicest 901 box I have ever driven with.

I had my first drive today, it didn't go well as only 5 cylinders firing, something electrical I think, maybe fouled a plug as it has been sitting for a month or so and
    didn't start so well guess I will find out tomorrow or Monday at Cairns Classic Porsche Services if I can't figure it out.

IMG_6756.jpgIMG_6757.jpgIMG_6755.jpgIMG_6758.jpgIMG_6753.jpgIMG_6763.jpg

Last edited by Terminator; 02-06-18, 10:49 PM.
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Oh yes I removed the coco mats too I prefer the STD carpet look, gees they were heavy too might make up for the wheel weight difference
    by removing them
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President

Comment

Very nice Clyde! Welcome to club68.
      Peter D

TYP901# 233
      911T Coupe 68
      911E Targa 73
      911E Coupe 72 (sold)
      1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Yep we can be twins Peter
        Clyde Boyer
        TYP 901 Register Inc.
        President

Comment

What a great buy Clyde. Merv must be happy its gone to a good home.

Mickc

65’ 912/6
          70’ 911T coupe
          00’ MK1 GT3 CS​

Comment

Will look great with the chrome steel wheels. Changed mine from polished fuchs back to chrome steel wheels some time ago and just love the look. Great buy Clyde.

Comment

Clyde that's a real stunner, and like the others on here, I agree the steelies will look perfect for it.

Comment

Great car Clyde.

I guess this isn't helping with your sellers remorse Merv?

Comment

It had chrome steelies from new so just me putting it back to original.

The good news is someone in the USA deperately wants the deep 6's that are currently on the car so even after paying for the rims, getting them re chromed
                  and then shipping back to Aust I think it will be revenue positive so I will have enough spare funds to buy a correct tacho for the car.
                  Clyde Boyer
                  TYP 901 Register Inc.
                  President

Comment

Now to find some hubcaps with correct badges.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

From my hotel room at the Istanbul Hilton, it seems a long way away Paul. It has indeed gone to a good home. And yes plugs on the early cars can foul if left for ages and then get flooded at start up. Clean and play usually. So Clyde will have to sell those Coco mats and a set of deep 6s seem already gone. Looking forward to its next phase. I always hated the large steering wheels and batwing look, but that’s what it came with. Clyde you will need to change your signature.

Comment

Will do Merv

We all have our thoughts on how the cars should be, this car has just moved into Clyde phase and then someone else in the future will do their thing with it too.

I think I am well known as from the "original " school so that is what spin I will be putting on it except I will not be attempting to re install the USA smog system no matter what,

Enjoy the rest of your trip Merv.
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

It’s in good hands Clyde. I know when I got the car back from the piant shop, it was running roughly. They said they had “trouble starting it”. With the no choke car, I always “dry” crank it first (secret ignition cut off engaged) to get oil pressure up and then after letting the electric fuel pump run for a while, give it 3-4 strokes of the accelerator and fire it up with the accelerator on 1/3 Throttle. If reluctant after a layup, a couple more pumps and again. If you flood it, they can foul a plug on the early motors. After the paint shop episode, I pulled the plugs and cleaned them and vroom! If I used the car regularly, it was always easy to start.

tjat smog system would be impossible to refit, as the engineer blocked and sealed all the locations!

Looking forward to seeing the steelies.

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                            Now to find some hubcaps with correct badges.
                            I think I have a spare set.

Comment

Chris put me on to these and I bought this at the same time

s-l16010.jpgs-l1600.jpg

Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X