Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What To Do Next?

Hi All,

After owning this car for the past several years, I'm trying to work out what to do next with it?
    I wish to have it as a good drivers car, and my pockets aren't too deep to go too wild, so I'm trying to work out what is best.

Option 1: Bring it back to Original condition.
    The car is matching numbers, so this would be the most logical, however it will never be highly 'original' as it has lost a lot of it's original history
    over time. The colour was Sepia, some time ago, and the original wheels are long gone.

Option 2: Mild Hot Rod.
    This option appeals to me. Replace the original 2.4 MFI motor with a later model 2.7 or 3.0 with carbs, with some more power and have some fun.
    Replace the 'comfort' seats, with something more supportive, and keep it in its non original colour.

Option 3: Do Nothing.
    Always the cheapest option, and keeps the wife happy. It just doesn't satisfy the lust for more performance.

I open the floor to opinions and suggestions from the forum members.

Regards, Lyndon

72 911T.jpg

72 911T 2.jpg

72 911T Interior.jpg

Hi Lyndon, Option 3 as it looks perfect. But if you can't help yourself I'd visit Mike Jacobson at Spyder Automobiles in Warragul for either an upgrade to your engine or to build a second high performance engine. He has a magic formula for the 2.4 engine which you might find on his website.
    Cheers
    Paul M
    PS: Some more grippy seats from Phil also.
    Last edited by PCM911T; 21-01-19, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Ditto on the seats. If you are pinned to the seats that hold you in, you will find you can press on a bit more and eek some more out of the current set up. If you want punch however, then you do need to spend some coin and upgrade for some more power. I would keep the 2.4 IMHO. Some mild tweaks can deliver reasonable results.
      Alex Webster
      A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Good advice already. It's a great looking car already... Hot 2.4s are cool in my opinion unless you don't want to risk damaging the MN engine. A close ratiobox might also help the 'neck muscles' dyno.
        Tom Laube
        Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
        VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

And if you are getting new seats I’ll buy your old ones! I’m needing a pair for a 73 - Just putting it out there!

Comment

I'd go option 2.
            Make sure if you can that you keep as much of the original stuff as you can afford tucked away, many have sold bits off and regretted it later.
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Seats definitely.... one of the most noticeable improvements I made to my car.

Re motor - why not enhance the engine you have? A 2.5, a 2.8? Rather than going 3.0 litre?

The elephant in the room is of course budget..... nothing is cheap these days.

JR
              Justin Reed
              aka Reedminor
              1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
              1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
              1961 356B #114700
              Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Car looks good as it is, I am with Sean, option 2.
                Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Hot Rod, Option 2.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Sounds like a mild hot rod is a winner. (not that I needed much encouragement )

As mentioned, cost will always be the major hurdle, so finding the best 'bang for the buck' will be the priority.
                    For those amongst you, that have had work done on the 2.4 with MFI, what performance upgrades have seen good results for reasonable $$?

My thoughts would be basic bottom end rebuild, with high comp pistons ( somewhere near 9.0:1 or higher) and bored oversize cylinders ( + 0.040" or so), with 'E' cams or similar.
                    My engine has already had the later model cam tensioner upgrade, so that's a plus.
                    The trick I see would be with the original MFI, and having it tuned for the higher output. Does anyone have experience with this, and a rough cost involved?
                    Would there be any recommendations for having this work done in Melbourne? I have had previous work done by Spencer, so am familiar with that option.
                    Any ideas of ball park cost?

The gearbox and drive shafts have been rebuilt already, and the clutch is in good shape, so no work required there. I have all the parts ready for the rear suspension rebuild. So that side of things is ready for when the engine is out. The front suspension/ steering and brakes have also been completed, so the engine is the last major piece of the puzzle...mechanically that is!!

I think I will need to have a chat to Phil at some stage about seats, The Nurburgring R or LeMans seats look fairly attractive.

Comment

As mentioned above mike at Spyder in Warragul is very good with MFI tunings etc I think the cost depends very much on what you have done. - the more extensive the more complex the higher cost
                      an advantage with the MFI is when you get it right it stays right
                      I have Mahle 2.7 rs barrels and pistons, reworked throttle bodies to S specs an RS space cam for the MFI pump But E cams. Mike massaged the tuning on the MFI to accomodate all of that (after others earlier had not got it quite right) and when we did the last change (throttle bodies and a sport exhaust) in 2012 he massaged the MFI again to accomodate those changes it has not had to be touched since
                      Hugh Hodges
                      1973 E
                      Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                      Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Whatever option you go for if those comfort seats are original with original brown vinyl put them in storage. The same goes for door panels etc. just ask Clyde and myself how difficult it is to find correct brown vinyl for a 72/73.
                        Peter D

TYP901# 233
                        911T Coupe 68
                        911E Targa 73
                        911E Coupe 72 (sold)
                        1974 BMW 3.0cs (sold)

Comment

Working...
                        X