TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smugglers Box retaining screws / nuts needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smugglers Box retaining screws / nuts needed.

Hi Folks,

I removed an early 70's A/C system fitted inside the smugglers box of my 71T at the weekend. I am now looking for a genuine set of screws / nuts (and presumably washers) required for the job of reattaching the smugglers box lid. It seems the hinges attached to the lid have small holes, and the receiving holes in the body would require washers as their circumference is significantly larger than the corresponding hinge holes.

Can anyone help me with these hard to find parts? I'm located in Sydney.

Best regards,

Adam

I've managed to identify the part numbers for the OEM screws that I believe I can buy from my PCA. I do have an issue however with the larger holes in the body, that would appear to be way too large to receive screw threads (about 1/4" or so). Can anybody give me any guidance on if I need another part here so as the screws can actually hold into something on the body side? Would anybody be able to post a photo of the body part, so I can see how this is supposed to work? Have tried on-line, but to no avail. Best, Adam.

Comment

71 parts manual says it is a countersunk tapping screw not a screw and thread with nut
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

My early car is a self tapping screw.

Comment

Thanks Clyde and 9er,

I actually discovered that the larger holes are there to allow the hinges to be located on the body, and then inside these are smaller holes with original threads cut. I called my local OPC and have the correct screws on order. At the same time, I’ve discovered the position of the missing metal ventilation drain pipe, and arranged a local panel beater to repair this, and the hole cut in the fire wall so as to facilitate the early (but aftermarket) a/c system.

Will update as I go.

Adam

Comment

Working...
          X