Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire Extinguisher Recommendations

Guys,

I need to replace the extinguisher in my family's 356 in Sydney.

What's recommended these days, where are they available, and approximate cost.

Obviously I want a quality item - not a Supercheap cheapie - but nor do I want a gold plated model.

Just needs to effective, and it needs to come recommended.

Thanks all,

Justin
    Justin Reed
    aka Reedminor
    1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
    1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
    1961 356B #114700
    Instagram: reedminor

Aren't SCA extinguishers CAMS approved?
    Doug
    IG: @porschepicto

Comment

It's a smart idea to carry an extinguisher, not only for your own benefit but also maybe to be able to help someone else in an emergency, likewise a first aid kit.

I wouldn't be willing to make any recommendations however the considerations are that it's either going to have started from an electrical fault, so be prepared to isolate the battery, or its going to be a fuel fire, which are usually dramatic first up but then run out of fuel
      However If the fuel fire becomes a running fuel fire, it isn't likely that any extinguisher that you would carry could put it out.

I'm happy to carry a small dry powder in my car
      (and 3500 litres of water and 130l of foam in my work truck)

Comment

Originally posted by douglas View Post
        Aren't SCA extinguishers CAMS approved?
        I don't know Doug...

Im not against Supercheap per se - I just want a good quality extinguisher. I don't want to be cursing a cheap extinguisher if (or when) a fire starts.

JR
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

For all Fire Safety sales and service, Contact our team today 1300 88 3473. 
Fire System Services - The Experts
          Craig
          12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
          1972 2.4E Targa project
          1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

In additions to Justin's query on extinguishers, can anyone recommend a good mount system? I want to fit one but it needs to have a minimally invasive mount.

Scotty

Comment

scotty
              I have always used the mounts that the extinguisher comes on bolted to the inspection / vent panel between the seats with the top of the extinguisher up against the rear seat assembly so it does not get accidentally triggered and the bottom down near the base of the hand brake that way it is easily accessible, does not get in the way and if you want to ever remove it the vent cover is easily replaced (or covered with carpet)

I am not sure if there is a size limitation there but the current one is OK
              I have been thinking about getting a new one since Justin posted this question and am thinking those Halatron ones look good - just need to see if a5kg one fits in there in place of the old 1.1kg one I have (and then find a good place to get IMG_0772.JPG one)

Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Australian TYP 901 Register #005
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hi guys

Please let us know what you go with - I need a new extinguisher as well.

Cheers
                Adam

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Clever
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President
                    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

That seat mounted type is the one I was looking at, but Hugh I like the idea of having the easily accessible extinguisher right next to my seat...
                      Maybe one of each!

Comment

Working...
                      X