Koni experiences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni experiences?

My 70S was fitted a long time ago with Koni shocks and front struts, and I replaced all the shocks during my recent restoration.

The adjustable shocks are now set at nigh on the softest setting, and I’m finding that the car is just too rough to ride in. From chatting to a couple of people, Koni’s are more of a track shock because of their adjustability.

While I don’t want a soft Sachs-type ride, there has to be some middle ground. I’m interested to hear what other cars are using.

My old Carrera 2.7 ran Bilsteins and the ride in that car was fantastic, albeit with different wheel and tyre sizes.

I’m currently running Michelin XWX 185/70 R15s and the torsion bars are standard. Tyre pressure is currently a shade lower than recommended.

I welcome your thoughts and comments, as I’m not happy to stick with the Konis.

I have always had Konis in my 70T. They are at least 20 years old. I run them at 1 full turn front and 1.5 turns rear, from full soft. Ride is firm but supple. Condition as good as new. Play with tyre pressures first 30 front, 32 rear gives a good ride and handling, My tyres are Bridgestone RE 001 205 Front 215 rear 60 profile (rims 7&8's). New Michelins? If the car has been sitting for a long time they might need a few heat cycles to eliminate a flat spot?Cheers
    Paul M

Comment

BTW: the Koni distributor in melbourne says to go full soft on new shocks.

Comment

Thanks Paul - it would have been nice if Koni told me about full soft when they supplied the shocks... The tyres are brand new, and I'm running 29psi front and 32 rear.

Comment

Working...
        X