Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reco Webers and replace with PMO?

Hi,

I posted about how to buy PMO carbs. To go back a step. I have original Webers (on a 2L 1969T engine, rebuilt but standard). The webers pop and crackle and do not idle well at all. The mixture adjustment on some cylinders do not respond to adjustment at all.

So I figure I need to have the webers rebuilt - trouble is not many people seem to be capable of this and I have no idea of the cost involved.

What have people paid for an average or worst case Weber rebuilds?

Who can do this well?

Would the end result be as good as a new set of PMO's? (I am not concerned about originality in this case - purely street drivability and reliability - and of course a bit of performance.

PMO's would set me back $6500K - I do not want to spend $3K on webers that still do not run well?

Robin,

Some years ago I had my Webers rebuilt by Peter Catalano. He is in Melbourne and trades as Thornbury Carburetors. His retail shop and workshop is located in High Street, Thornbury. The price then was $1200-00. It was arranged by my engine builder who is well regarded so I was happy to take his recommendation. I was told by Peter that I was lucky as they were in reasonable condition which made the rebuild easier.

I have since dealt with Peter since in relation to replacing my fuel pump. He was a pleasure to deal with so I suggest you give him a call and he may be able to assist with further costings.

I would be surprised if others on the forum have not dealt with him in the past.

My Webers have continued to work well since.

He is worth a call as the cost of PMO's still leaves a lot to work with.

Others may chime in with other suggestions.

Comment

I rebuilt a set myself - took a few days all up, but not hard and and a really enjoyable experience if you like that type of thing.

Minimal cost for the kits, some hydro blasting and zincing, and a few new jets etc.

Definitely worth a try.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

They've certainly had the love !

There is a guy in Launceston Tasmania that does them, has all the gear .

He did my 45 Dcoe 's some years ago

Rick Hill at Pro-Carb 03 63342858 , no website but google him he's showing a set of Solexes .

If you go with him I live here and can assist you if you need.

Comment

Peter Catalano rebuilt mine about 15 years ago, still perfect!

Comment

With a standard T rebuild I don't believe there would be any performance advantage in going over to PMO's.

Peter is the goto person for anything carb related and many workshops outsource their rebuild work to him. I've both rebuilt my own and (recently) had him do them and would never do them myself again, and most recently had him rebuild a custom jetted SU.
            IMG_3096 copy.jpg
            Last edited by Paul W; 31-03-19, 09:22 AM.
            Paul Wischer
            1969 911T
            1979 Californian Moke
            TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

Working...
            X