Homeward bound... finally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeward bound... finally...

As some might recall I bought Scott's (OZ772) MY '70 last year. The plan was to get a few bits of body work sorted in Adelaide, then drive it back to Sydney for a full restore. As it turned out the old girl's now had half her body repaired/replaced/renewed, and pretty much a complete engine overhaul. She went in to RSR's workshop about 12 months ago and thankfully is now pretty much ready to bring back. The car was originally a US car, but imported and converted to RHD mid 70's. She was originally Leaf Green and will return to that - however in her past someone decided "resale red" was a good look - so combine that with black undercoat she's looking a bit like Dead Pool currently!

Anyone have any recent experience with paint work in Sydney?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
    '97 993 - new toy
    '95 993 - on the chopping block
    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

I like it the way it is!
    Zag's know how to shoot single stage paint better than anyone else in Sydney.

Comment

Leaf green is such a cool colour, be good to see it in that again.
      Clyde Boyer
      TYP 901 Register Inc.
      President
      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
        Zag's know how to shoot single stage paint better than anyone else in Sydney.
        Wow Ben that's a big statement.
        I am sure there are some other quality automotive repairers in Sydney that can do excellent refinish.
        Aus del 68 911S

Comment

I have to echo Clyde's sentiments on leaf green - but then having a Dk Green metallic car, Im biased.

My car was done at Zags in 2014 and I am delighted with the outcome. The car is in there now having a few little things addressed now.

As an ex pat Sydney sider, I would recommend Zags unreservedly. But they are very busy, so don't expect it to be done next month.

I can also recommend (based on the feedback from people whose opinions I really respect and value) Ron Goodman at Exclusive Body Werks at Granville.

There are a few others but the 2 above are the ones with which I have direct experience.

Isnt there a thread with a car being repainted in Bathurst or Orange?

JR
          Justin Reed
          aka Reedminor
          1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
          1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
          1961 356B #114700
          Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Originally posted by reedminor
            Isnt there a thread with a car being repainted in Bathurst or Orange?

JR
            Yes, Geoff contacted me privately about the work being done to his at Orange..
            '97 993 - new toy
            '95 993 - on the chopping block
            '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post

Wow Ben that's a big statement.
              I am sure there are some other quality automotive repairers in Sydney that can do excellent refinish.
              Who Sean?

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post

Who Sean?
                Justin has just recomended another one above, I am sure there are others that offer and deliver good quality work.
                Your refinish is only as good as your tradespersons and the products they use.
                How many different shops in Sydney have you tried Ben?
                Aus del 68 911S

Comment

From my experience, it's very much about the painter's familiarity with the car AND the application of repairs and paint products to the car (paint, stone guard etc). And just as important is the establishment of a clear line of communication between the you and the paint shop, and the managing of each other's expectations.
                  I won't specifically recommend anyone in Sydney, save to say that there are more operators out there than the two mentioned above, and at a different price points as well.

I would suggest speaking to some of the Porsche workshops in Sydney to see who they are aware of, and then go and visit those paint shops to see which one works best for you.

Finally, expect that it will take a long time - I'm talking multiple months.

Comment

Originally posted by pocketscience View Post

Anyone have any recent experience with paint work in Sydney?
                    Zags - I think they're the best.

Comment

Zags do know how to mix Leaf Green...
                      Stuart Pearce
                      1972T
                      Australian TYP 901 Register #028
                      Early 911S Register #2310

Comment

Working...
                      X