Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.2T - S Suspension

Hi Folks,

I called a mechanic today to speak about getting my complete suspension refreshed on the 71T. My car was delivered with the option 'Koni Sport' suspension option, that includes S callipers. I was looking at replacing the OEM Koni's new for old, but one contact said the Koni were of questionable quality compared to a Bilstein equivalent.

I was planning on replacing Koni for Koni, and adding F&R anti sway bars (yes Stan I will use you for the bars - as discussed). Before embarking on the project however, can anybody tell me if they have had a better experience with the Billy's over Koni, or am I OK to go with the Koni's, new and all new OEM bushes etc. if Bilstein is absolutely preferred, then what specific strut are we talking about? I WAS considering adjustable spring plates as the only non-OEM mod, but given this is my first time replacing suspension, I am keen to understand what others have done.

I should point out, I do intend to leave this T as largely factory set-up, and I don't intend to use it on a track as a general statement. I'd categorise my intention as 'Fast Road' set-up. The odd sensible departure from OEM is fine for me.

any help / advise before embarking, on parts / set-up, or even practitioners, I'm all ears!

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam, my 2.2T has Koni adjustable shocks and they suit the car well. Don't see why you would need to change. Do they really need to be changed? Adjustables can be adjusted and Konis can be rebuilt, although new ones might be an easier option.
    I'll be interested to see what you think of the addition of sway bars,, as i have thought of the same addition. I did add a strut brace and that eliminated the front understeer completely. New Konis are available from their business in Melbourne (Google will bring them up and they are very helpful over the phone) if you really need new ones, and they last a long time. I also think the base of the Bilsteins may be different, but someone else like 9er may comment on this.
    Cheers
    Paul M

Comment

I had Koni fitted to my 72 (new inserts/rears with the car when purchased), they worked well I thought. Now have raised spindle bilstein setup. I like the new set up as the suspension geometry is now correct for the ride height I was looking for. I'd go the Koni if "fast road" is your goal using the strut's you have.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

When running stock torsion bars on by 2.2E I ran the Koni Sports which were great. But after upgrading to a larger hollow bars swapped them out for a set of Bilsteins (re-valved to suit ) which did make a massive improvement. That said also went with adjustable spring plates and elephant racing bushes....

Comment

Originally posted by Ashton H View Post
          When running stock torsion bars on by 2.2E I ran the Koni Sports which were great. But after upgrading to a larger hollow bars swapped them out for a set of Bilsteins (re-valved to suit ) which did make a massive improvement. That said also went with adjustable spring plates and elephant racing bushes....
          Sounds like a nice combination.
          Tom Laube
          Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
          VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Working...
          X