Interior door handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior door handles

Does anyone know the story with interior door handles? From what I can tell the driver side didn't have a handle, and the passenger did. Is that correct? Why?
    '97 993 - new toy
    '95 993 - on the chopping block
    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Correct as it was considered the handle could get in the way during spirited driving, especially with the larger dia std steering wheel. Many RHD owners source a passenger side armrest/door pull and fit it so both doors have a handle to pull to close as damage was often caused to the front door pocket as it got used as the door pull in the absence of a handle.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    sigpicPhil Lack
    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
    Early 911-S Registry # 690
    R-Gruppe # 367
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

If your after lhd car's passenger one let me know and I'll dig out the one I have.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks guys - makes sense. My car was LHD so I have the handle on my side. The Boss came for a drive on the weekend and complained about the lack of a handle. I might have to get a RHD passenger setup to keep her happy.
        '97 993 - new toy
        '95 993 - on the chopping block
        '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

It's not strictly speaking a door handle, it is designed as a passenger grab handle, to give the passenger something to hold onto when the driver is driving spiritedly, no need for it on the driver's side as (hopefully) they are holding on to the steering wheel
          Joyce

68 912
          85 911 Cab

Comment

how are you meant to close the door without the grab handle? is there a small slot in the armrest? short of using the forementioned door pocket or lowering the window i can't imagine any other way?

Comment

Hope nothing to help except the fixed door pocket or top of door if the window is down...not so smart by Fritz and co back in the day
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by pocketscience View Post
                Thanks guys - makes sense. My car was LHD so I have the handle on my side. The Boss came for a drive on the weekend and complained about the lack of a handle. I might have to get a RHD passenger setup to keep her happy.
                Good luck with that the American have been stealing them for years

Clyde Boyer
                TYP 901 Register Inc.
                President
                Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Mr911 View Post
                  how are you meant to close the door without the grab handle? is there a small slot in the armrest? short of using the forementioned door pocket or lowering the window i can't imagine any other way?
                  Yes, there is a slot in the armrest, at least in 68 models
                  Joyce

68 912
                  85 911 Cab

Comment

Thats only for the SWB cars with the original style armrest but the later model ones had nothing to grab onto hence the usual damage to the front door pockets.
                    sigpicPhil Lack
                    TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                    Early 911-S Registry # 690
                    R-Gruppe # 367
                    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                    '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                    2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                    1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                    X