Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hand throttle now not working

hi all,

my hand throttle has stopped working a few days ago on my 72T. when it was working , i could feel it depress the accelerator pedal slightly when i pulled up on the lever. now there is no more connect to the accelerator pedal and no effect on raising the engine revs. i looked in the engine bay to see if there something has disconnected but nothing obvious. before i try pulling things apart in and around the hand throttle, should i be looking from under the car? or elsewhere first?
    Erwin Tan
    TYP 901 Member #467
    72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Just below the lever next to the hand brake there is a small plastic arm that connects the lever to the accelerator cable. So when you pull the lever it pulls the accelerator cable (as if you are pressing the pedal). This arm will have broken.

This is the part you need:

You can unbolt the handbrake - move it aside and replace this part - but it is a fiddly/tough job.

Comment

That is exactly what you need. I had the same problem some years ago and the small plastic arm had become brittle and snapped. Not an expensive job but is fiddly if you have big hands.

Once you get it done you will appreciate having the hand throttle again.

Comment

Thanks David and Robin.

Cold starts have been a pain without it

I have bought the part from PCM and will try to fix it in the next week or so. I might remove the seat/s if it helps with access - my hands are not large so hopefully its not too fiddly
        Erwin Tan
        TYP 901 Member #467
        72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Comment

Erwin, it is much easier just to remove the LH seat prior. That allows you to put all your tools and fatseners etc on the carpet next to where you're working. It also allows you to pivot the arm out of the handbrake cluster during the disassembly/reassembly. You'll also need to remove the small circlip that holds the arm on, so watch for that little bugger, as they have a habit of flying off!
          And while you're in there... It's also worth replacing your throttle cable bushes . If you can hear your throttle cable making noise, it's likely the bushes that are worn or completely rotted out. To replace them you remove the shift coupler access plate and the shifter assembly (again, all much easier with the seat out), and then you'll be able to replace most if not all of them with a little bit of patience.
          Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by SM911 View Post
            Erwin, it is much easier just to remove the LH seat prior. That allows you to put all your tools and fatseners etc on the carpet next to where you're working. It also allows you to pivot the arm out of the handbrake cluster during the disassembly/reassembly. You'll also need to remove the small circlip that holds the arm on, so watch for that little bugger, as they have a habit of flying off!
            And while you're in there... It's also worth replacing your throttle cable bushes . If you can hear your throttle cable making noise, it's likely the bushes that are worn or completely rotted out. To replace them you remove the shift coupler access plate and the shifter assembly (again, all much easier with the seat out), and then you'll be able to replace most if not all of them with a little bit of patience.
            Good luck!
            thanks - I may delay this job for a few days until I collect everything I need
            Erwin Tan
            TYP 901 Member #467
            72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Comment

Job done, not without a few hiccups. Removed the passenger seat and all was going smoothly until the circlip flew off into the tunnel cavity (as predicted Scotty). Then when trying to rebolt the handbrake cluster, the bolt holes would not line up. The handbrake was adjusted too tightly previously, and with the release of tension had pulled the entire cluster backwards by some 10mm. Managed to muscle it all together but even with the handbrake off the rear brakes would not release. So jacked up the rear, and wheels off in order to adjust the brake cable on the rear of the wheel housing - engaged the handbrake by 3 clicks and then adjusted the cables to allow both wheels to "just" grab. Retightened the brake cable nuts and wheels back on. Two holes at the rear of the handbrake cluster showed the the balance was similar on both left and right cables. Wheels back on, lugs torqued and a quick test drive - Happy Australia Day!!! I'm a bit of a novice but I learnt alot today - thanks for all the tips guys
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 8 photos.
              Last edited by Skins; 27-01-20, 09:14 PM.
              Erwin Tan
              TYP 901 Member #467
              72 911T Coupe

IG @motorclassique

Comment

Great work Erwin! A job never goes by without something going awry for
                most of us! I suppose it’s to be expected on these 40-50 year old bangers.
                Time to start planning the next job!!

Comment

after completing the task , you would now know there is no need to pull a seat out, normally 1/2 hr job
                  GRC930, Graham

Comment

Working...
                  X