TYP901 Banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I’m going to turn my 911 in to an EV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I’m going to turn my 911 in to an EV...

Have thought about it for a while but now have opportunity to collaborate with someone who really knows his **** and thought “why not?”. Completely reversible. Tesla motor and transaxle, not sure about batteries yet. 2.7RS-ish looks but I expect will be a LOT quicker. Not sure what I think about it yet...will be interesting....

Hi Mitchel, I've also mused about doing this. Someone in Brissie?
    Bill A.

72E Sporto (still is)

Comment

there is a business on Bris northside that is doing a lot of this stuff with classic cars, I'll see if I can find some details.

there are kits in US to convert Ford and Chev V8 with everything turning up on a pallet
      Jeff Eelkema
      TYP 901 #132
      S-Reg #1431
      69E (project)
      various bevel Ducatis
      60s Vespa

Comment

There is a clip on youtube " Electric Porsche 911 Fully Charged".I'm Not great at sending links but pretty cool

Added the link for you
        Richard Morgan of Electric Classic Cars, last seen on Fully Charged when we test drove the lovely red VW Beetle electric conversion, has surpassed himself.Th...
        Last edited by 911jack; 05-03-20, 04:16 PM.
        Mick

Comment

Yes he’s in Bris, when I get a bit further along I’ll share a bit more.

Comment

I have been considering this for quite some time. I have a 356 that I want to do it with. Keen to know what you end up doing as the US providers of kits don't give much info away and therefore it is a bit unknown all the stumbling blocks you would no doubt hit.
            Alex Webster
            A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Had coffee with guy today so all moving along. Once we get agreed and started I’ll share more.

Comment

Why?

I don't understand why - given most acknowledge the heart and sold of any 911 is the drivertrain.

Each to their own - but I hope to be driving my internal combustion old Porsche for as long as I can.... even if I am in the minority.

Justin
                Justin Reed
                aka Reedminor
                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                1961 356B #114700
                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

I can understand the appeal - more power & torque (912 owner here), easier in traffic (no clutch needed at city speeds), still air cooled (I presume), can improve the weight balance (though weight may jump 100kg or so) and doesnt have to change the aesthetic.

That old cortina in Qld with the tesla battery setup looks interesting. I believe the motor (not tesla) is about 90kw and 240Nm and it gets along nicely. Range about 180km with the 28kwH ex-tesla battery pack. Or the the full-on tesla engined 911/912 on youtube which is obviously crazy performance.

Id say Id drive the car more often as electric (because city traffic) but would no doubt miss the sound and the need to change gears when going for a drive in the hills.

Comment

For me - because burning fossil fuel causes global warming. And because I’ve been thinking about it for a while and a gold plated opportunity popped up at the right moment - my car is bare shell. When Porsche make their full EV 911 (soon) it will still be a 911 driving experience, just different. There’s absolutely no rational point to me doing it to my old 911 - rationally I shd buy a Model Y. But there’s very little rational sense to most of the things people do with old Porkers. “Because I can?”. I am sure you’ll be able to drive fossil fuelled cars pretty much forever, but I’m equally sure that EVs will be the majority of vehicles on the road before too long. VAG (so Porsche) is betting the farm on it. Altho personally I consider their first effort in the Taycan a bit crap for the rather hefty price tag.

Comment

Full disclosure: I am a Tesla shareholder

Comment

Herbert Diess wants to sell 26m emission-free vehicles in 9 years, overtaking rivals including Californian electric pioneer

Comment

Keen to hear about this conversion - I have a 912 tucked away that I would like to do this to one day.

Comment

I am soooo going to be watching with interest!!!!!!!

Richard Griffiths
                            1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Bremith View Post
                              Full disclosure: I am a Tesla shareholder
                              No kidding
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Working...