Seat belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat belts

Anyone know what the deal is with replacing seat belts in NSW? I've heard you can't replace unless damaged. Mine are pretty tired but functional and would like to replace them whilst I'm replacing pretty much the rest of the interior... is moving to retractable units an option on a '70 car?
    '97 993 - new toy
    '95 993 - on the chopping block
    '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Not sure of NSW rules but yes retractables easy to install MR Upwey has them on his 70 and I have the same ones on my 72 and 73 models
    Clyde Boyer
    TYP 901 Register Inc.
    President
    Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Hi Clyde and Peter, any chance of some pictures where mounted near floor( my stalks are on the rear centre tunnel)/seat, brands and model codes, approximate cost, thanks. I'd like to update my '69 non retractable belts also.
      Paul m

Comment

Hello Paul,

Hemco at Ballarat are the people to talk to, Wayne from memory.

They are Aus. compliant ,available in range of colours and an easy retro fit/std replacement .

I have the stalks mounted on Phil's BF Torino B81 and seat rails excellent set up .

I have a pair of their inertia reels, no problems, you can specify a belt length too I had to have mine shortened at no charge and they paid the post back, that was then, 4 years ago.

regards
        Bruce

Comment

Any pics? I assume replacements include the actual buckle mech as well - so you lose the factory buckle look?
          '97 993 - new toy
          '95 993 - on the chopping block
          '70 911T - bringing her back to former glory

Comment

Thanks Bruce, that is most helpful and I like the idea of a coloured belt, a pic would be helpful if you can. The inner bolt mount for the lap part on mine is centre tunnel mounted rather than on the seat rail and the outside bolts are through the floor behind the seats - this does not look right. Maybe there is a factory bolt hole in the side sill hidden under the carpet?
            Cheers
            Paul M

Comment

Your welcome Paul,

They are at www.hemco.com.au/seatbelt-division/

Click on Hemco general purpose occupant restraints - how technical

That will show colours etc , they do floor stalk mounts in several lengths so you can just bolt them in .

Fill in the enquiry form and they will quote accordingly.

I have never had to have any approval changing belts, be they road or comp harnesses apart from CAMS and their age regs

regards
              Bruce

Comment

I had Hemco belts in my "68.
                (sorry no pics)
                They're far from period correct but they are ADR approved and legal in NSW.
                I got them in red webbing - tons of colours available.
                It is the whole system from bolt to webbing to buckle.
                They're not pretty .... they are generic plastic receivers but they are as safe and legal as I could get.
                From memory it was well under $500 for front and rear seats (yes rear anchors are factory from 1968 onwards)
                I recall the order to delivery time was less than a week.

Comment

Maybe moving away a bit too much from the original question, but I wanted inertia style belts in my '65 but wanted to retain an old school look, with aircraft style buckles and using the original Porsche eyelets. Anyhow I speak much better with pictures.

Comment

Thanks Chris. That houdstooth looks great.

Comment

Working...
                    X