No announcement yet.

Porsche 912 out of Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is a photo of a werks 914/6 being prepared for the 1971 Monte Carlo img077 (2).jpg

see the red flash on the wheel paint applied by hand and relatively slap dash job just like yours
    Hugh Hodges
    1973 E
    Australian TYP 901 Register #005
    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

IMG_4207.JPG
      IMG_4198.JPG
      IMG_4210.JPG
      Removed left front wheel this morning - has a different red flash on front, part number appears to be normal

Comment

yes an early 5.5 x15 not the 6R which I thought it might be (6R has an 03 at the end) But I suppose as rally wheels for rough and potentially soft surface conditions like the safari they were likely to be narrower
        do all four have slightly different red flashes? If so maybe it is to identify what side and end they go on
        so far you have posted a single full one, a one and a half one and a half one - is the last one two full ones?
        Hugh Hodges
        1973 E
        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

IMG_4214.JPG
          Hugh last rear wheel is single full that someone has tried some "tyre black" over to hide the red - metho and a rag and it would be back

Comment

Originally posted by ITS-911 View Post
            With my 911 at the end of the restoration journey I now look to a start again on that slippery restoration slope, with my recently purchased, made in 1967 (1968 model) 912 Porsche.
            What we have is a factory RHD Polo Red with black leatherette trim that was sold into Kenya new via the East African Porsche agent Gordon c.r. Crow.
            Car details
            Chassis: 12820007
            Engine: 1085211

Kardex options:
            5 speed gearbox
            Increased Steering wheel Hub
            Leather Steering Wheel
            Koni Shock Absorbers
            Travel Kit for engine (don't have it, wish I did)

When purchased the 912 came with a pallet of spares, original service and hand book and receipts back to the export from Mombasa in 1983. This 912's last owner has had the car for 32 years and has done very little with it in this time (in other words little money spent). The result of not much use or "improvements" over the life of the car has resulted in the core vehicle being original with good glass, chrome, panel gaps, and interior trim. The downside is rust bubbles bottom of front guards (every where else I have checked looks OK), every rubber is stuffed, paint is stuffed, needs a tune and needs shifter adjustment.

I'm interested if any other members have a Kenya delivery vehicle or information on dealer Gordon c.r. Crow in Nairobi. The original Kenya registration number was KKX296 which came with the car on the pallet of spares.
            Tips and pointers are welcome and photos to follow
            Geoff
            Quite a few cars 356's / early 911's came out of South Africa in the late 80's / early 90's.... not so many from Kenya I would think?

Justin
            Justin Reed
            aka Reedminor
            1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
            1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
            1961 356B #114700
            Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Please don't do a full resto on this car Geoff .... so many original details that could be preserved.

What is a "travel kit for engine"?

And what a classic - "until he released it wasn't going to be competitive .... and ordered a 911 T/R"

Comment

Ben (Elsporto) - at the very least the 912 need some rust and paint - trim will not be touched except for headliner - and wheels are yet to be decided.
                It didn't come with the travel kit for engine which I will endeavour to find some more information.

Comment

Geoff-

"Travel Kits" where an option on delivery (or later purchase from the dealer) from the early 356 days through to 911 & 912's.

Basically, a pouch you kept next to the spare wheel, full of various (minor) engine parts to allow for roadside service or emergency repairs, I guess in an era when breakdown services were rare and drivers knew more about maintenance/repair.

SMC has some replicas for sale - pricey!

Mark Evans
                  1966 912 5 gauge
                  1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

SportoEvans - So that's what a travel kit is! Kind of make sense I guess.

Geoff - hard to decide what to do and what not to do for sure.

Looks like it's had a body repaint at some stage already?

I'm enamoured of those wheels .... the red flashes are very unique - maybe you could rejuvenate and preserve ?

Comment

The 912 had basically one closed door repaint in Kenya mid 70’s. Bob said a mate brought the Polo Red paint back from the Porsche factory as a favour, then had the local paint shop apply. Bob was disappointed as they masked and painted, it was not dismantled. The wheels will be cleaned and red flashes will be not touched, it needs a set of tyres as they are 34 years old. Bob said when he purchased the 912 there were a few 356’s in Kenya that had come from South Africa. The Distributor Gordon Crow’s first Porsche was his 356C cab then a white 912. Bob said when he got the 912 there was only 6 Porsche 912 and 911 in Kenya (he named owners of each car colour and model).

Comment

Such a great history to have ... priceless.

I think even some good centre caps will make the wheels look much, much better.

Comment

Originally posted by ELSPORTO View Post
                          Such a great history to have ... priceless.

I think even some good centre caps will make the wheels look much, much better.
                          Yes and getting all of those wheel weights off them as well.... and getting someone good to balance them properly after getting the new tires (and check the balance and run out when they have no tires on them). I would be very surprised if they needed even half the amount of weights and any on the outside rather than inside edge
                          that would make a world of difference
                          Hugh Hodges
                          1973 E
                          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

IMG_4265.JPG
                            Lots of African dirt and dust found as the 912 slowly comes apart. Motor coming out for a refresh and refitting the original Solex Carbs, that came with it (now being rebuilt).

Comment

Gees you don't muck around Geoff
                              Clyde Boyer
                              TYP 901 Register Inc.
                              President
                              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by ITS-911 View Post
                                IMG_4265.JPG
                                Lots of African dirt and dust found as the 912 slowly comes apart. Motor coming out for a refresh and refitting the original Solex Carbs, that came with it (now being rebuilt).
                                Heard similar tales about the disassembly of a South African 2.4 T being restored in Melbourne..... dust and dirt in previously unknown places

jr
                                Justin Reed
                                aka Reedminor
                                1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
                                1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
                                1961 356B #114700
                                Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Working...
                                X