Porsche 912 out of Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Porsche 912 out of Africa

With my 911 at the end of the restoration journey I now look to a start again on that slippery restoration slope, with my recently purchased, made in 1967 (1968 model) 912 Porsche.
    What we have is a factory RHD Polo Red with black leatherette trim that was sold into Kenya new via the East African Porsche agent Gordon c.r. Crow.
    Car details
    Chassis: 12820007
    Engine: 1085211

Kardex options:
    5 speed gearbox
    Increased Steering wheel Hub
    Leather Steering Wheel
    Koni Shock Absorbers
    Travel Kit for engine (don't have it, wish I did)

When purchased the 912 came with a pallet of spares, original service and hand book and receipts back to the export from Mombasa in 1983. This 912's last owner has had the car for 32 years and has done very little with it in this time (in other words little money spent). The result of not much use or "improvements" over the life of the car has resulted in the core vehicle being original with good glass, chrome, panel gaps, and interior trim. The downside is rust bubbles bottom of front guards (every where else I have checked looks OK), every rubber is stuffed, paint is stuffed, needs a tune and needs shifter adjustment.

I'm interested if any other members have a Kenya delivery vehicle or information on dealer Gordon c.r. Crow in Nairobi. The original Kenya registration number was KKX296 which came with the car on the pallet of spares.
    Tips and pointers are welcome and photos to follow
    Geoff

Good to see another 912 in the mix. I am mid resto on my 1966 912 - also Polo red.

Comment

Kartex 12820007.jpg
      IMG_4171.JPG

IMG_4170.JPG

IMG_4156.JPG

IMG_4157.JPG

IMG_4161.JPG

IMG_4168.JPG

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4181.JPG

IMG_4189.JPG

Comment

I know that car!!
        Justin Reed
        aka Reedminor
        1968 911L #11810329 (SOLD)
        1977 911 Carrera 3.0 #911760765
        1961 356B #114700
        Instagram: reedminor

Comment

Robin > I think you and I have similar taste in cars
          Justin > Yes I believe you would know the car, when you lived in Sydney

Comment

Cool, looks like a good project
            Tom Laube
            Instagram - #first_corner_fever

Porsche - '73 LHD 911T, '72 RHD 911T, '79 All Rounder SC
            VW - '60 Type1 Factory Sunroof, '64 Kombi

Comment

Gees not even time to breathe after finishing the last one...whens it for sale???LOL
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Maybe in the future but the 911 currently not for sale, it would be a terrible time to sell any car. The 73 will be safely tucked under a car cover at home waiting for the next cars and coffee. It was actually a good time to have a bit of dry powder ready, so I could buy a car that I don’t think would have become available in normal times.

Comment

Just sat down and spent 2 – 3 hours with Bob Keane (second owner) and got the whole story on my 912 Porsche.

My car was ordered new from Gordon c.r. Crow for and supplied to Peter Sargeantson, and Peter was intending to race / rally it until he realized it was not going to be competitive. Peter then ordered a 911 T/R and consigned the 912 to be sold by Bill Parkinson (the same one who was also a racer, GT Championship winner) who at the time had a petrol station.

Bob Keane (mechanic) knew Bill and purchased it for he and his wife, and it then did some rallies with Robert Glen (sculptor) as driver and he as navigator. The wheels on my car came from Jurgen Barth when he was mechanic (before he was a driver) for the Porsche East Africa Safari Rally team in 1968 (“not all the spares went back to the factory) the steering wheel was the same story a couple of years later. Bob worked with the team on the African rallies, and got to know Jurgen. My car also got new carburettors direct from Porsche, which were later tuned by Jurgen, while waiting for a rally car to arrive at the next stage. Bob caught up with Jurgen at Goodwood some years ago and Jurgen asked “Bob have you still got your 912”?

Bob and his wife emigrated to Australia in 1983 bringing the car with them, they gifted it to their son to use, but sold it in 1988 to the chap I purchased it from with the funds going towards the sons first unit in Melbourne.
                  * Wheels are stamped 10 67
                  * Steering wheel is stamped 11 69

Comment

You may have missed your calling, I couldn’t tell you any of the owners of my cars and they were Aussie delivered

Comment

Originally posted by ITS-911 View Post
                      Just sat down and spent 2 – 3 hours with Bob Keane (second owner) and got the whole story on my 912 Porsche.

My car was ordered new from Gordon c.r. Crow for and supplied to Peter Sargeantson, and Peter was intending to race / rally it until he realized it was not going to be competitive. Peter then ordered a 911 T/R and consigned the 912 to be sold by Bill Parkinson (the same one who was also a racer, GT Championship winner) who at the time had a petrol station.

Bob Keane (mechanic) knew Bill and purchased it for he and his wife, and it then did some rallies with Robert Glen (sculptor) as driver and he as navigator. The wheels on my car came from Jurgen Barth when he was mechanic (before he was a driver) for the Porsche East Africa Safari Rally team in 1968 (“not all the spares went back to the factory) the steering wheel was the same story a couple of years later. Bob worked with the team on the African rallies, and got to know Jurgen. My car also got new carburettors direct from Porsche, which were later tuned by Jurgen, while waiting for a rally car to arrive at the next stage. Bob caught up with Jurgen at Goodwood some years ago and Jurgen asked “Bob have you still got your 912”?

Bob and his wife emigrated to Australia in 1983 bringing the car with them, they gifted it to their son to use, but sold it in 1988 to the chap I purchased it from with the funds going towards the sons first unit in Melbourne.
                      * Wheels are stamped 10 67
                      * Steering wheel is stamped 11 69
                      Cool story,interesting history.
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

fantastic history and a great car to have
                        here is a photo of Sergeantson's TR that replaced your car. It was recently restored in the UK
                        jj.png

have a VERY close look at the numbers on those wheels and whatever you do do not paint over or lose that red flash on the wheel - it is what the Porsche competition department did to their wheels to help them line them up - especially in rallies where there was snow

and here is a photo of the Gordon C R Crow workshop at Swindon Rd Nairobi in March / April 1969. It has the Seargeant TR in the foreground and Zasada's factory sponsored rally car (#15) being serviced in the background. that MAY have been the time referred to when Barth was there (he was there multiple times over the years though right through to March 1973)
                        jjjj.png
                        Last edited by HughH; 11-05-20, 10:14 PM.
                        Hugh Hodges
                        1973 E
                        Australian TYP 901 Register #005
                        Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hugh
                          Thank you for the photos and information, Bob said to me the red flashes were on the wheels when he got them, and could not believe 32 years after he sold the car they were still on each wheel. As I said previous owner to me did very little with the car. I was considering refurbishing the wheels, when I do the paint and panel but I may now need to reconsider?

Geoff in Sydney
                          Last edited by ITS-911; 12-05-20, 05:17 PM.

Comment

IMG_4200.JPG
                            The red markings are on each wheel and do vary in the formats, this is another format currently on the right front.
                            * Red paint is applied by hand over the original black (when I purchased the car I thought one of the previous owners grandchildren may have done them)
                            * On the weekend I will pull the wheels off and check factory part number, as last weekend I was only concerned about the date stamps.

Comment

Nice find Geoff. Great history and looking forward to the journey
                              Mark Evans
                              1966 912 5 gauge
                              1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Working...
                              X