Porsche 912 out of Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help two questions for the forum members:
    a) On my original interior someone has cut 5" holes into the door trims (matching the 5" round hole in the metal door panel). Any suggestions for a period correct round speaker that will look better than the crappy 80's plastic ones now fitted. Or suggestions for door trim hole removal (anyone got the same 912 plastic looking door trim material spare)?

b) Drivers side door handle has rear broken stud. Handles are original and lovely, so my question is can this material be successfully drilled and tapped for new stud, or does anyone have a correct spare drivers handle?
    IMG_4256.JPG
    IMG_4257.JPG

Comment

Hard to see the door trim on the first page of the thread.
      You have prolly seen these. may work?
      https://sierramadrecollection.com/91...68-p23006.html
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Sean
        Yes this is the same style door 68 black trims as Sierra Madre reproductions, which would work. What I was hoping for was to use the factory originals I have, which are excellent but for the speaker holes.

Comment

Thank you Typ901 as got a "gift" today left over and not used in a restoration 68 door handle - perfect with new chrome
          IMG_4281.JPG
          IMG_4283.JPG

Comment

Very interesting story, thanks for sharing it. My 1968 912 is no. 12820011, so just a few cars later than yours, but delivered to Australia rather than South Africa
            Joyce

68 912
            85 911 Cab

Comment

Ossi Blue amazing 4 cars apart by chassis number, both our cars are very early 68 models. Can I ask what options your 912 was supplied with?
              Cheers
              Geoff

Comment

Yes, I thought so too. According to Porsche Australia, the only option listed on delivery of mine was slotted steel wheels (which I thought were standard for that model). It has a five speed gearbox, not sure if that was an option or if it came standard in 68 models, do you know?
                Joyce

68 912
                85 911 Cab

Comment

5 speed gearbox is an option I believe yes

Comment

Now all one colour Polo Red 6802. Red is not my favourite but this 912 must remain original, and have decided to refurbish and keep as many original parts as possible.
                    IMG_4350.JPG

Comment

Did you paint it already???
                      Clyde Boyer
                      TYP 901 Register Inc.
                      President
                      Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Paint should be finished this Friday

Comment

IMG_4460.JPG
                          After some early mornings at work and all the weekends (since I got it back), the 912 is now reassembled. Waiting for a paint birthday for 32 years, the end result is good. The body and panel gap fitment are the best I have seen on any of the early Porsches I've owned, and I managed to adjust everything to be in it's correct place. It's off for the rebuilt Solex carbs to be put back on, an engine refresh, and a much needed clutch (down to the rivets). My son wants the twin muffler Dansk system to stay, but he's been outvoted, I'm putting back on the genuine side outlet muffler. I have not restored the wheels but will get some new rubber, with special attention paid to balance and weights, plus I have new centre caps ready.

Comment

Hi Geoff,

who is rebuilding your Solex carbs?

cheers
                            mark
                            Mark Evans
                            1966 912 5 gauge
                            1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Mechanic mate who did his time at Porsche dealer but now has different career, did them at home and helping me out.

Comment

My 912 will be back from the mechanic soon and in the meantime I have been collecting information that keeps me happy. This 912 is a very early 68 model 12820007 and I checked to see if it is the first 68 model RHD 912 produced?
                                12820001 – RHD? > LHD Germany
                                12820002 – RHD? > LHD Stuttgart
                                12820003 – RHD? > LHD Portugal
                                12820004 – RHD? > LHD Portugal
                                12820005 – RHD? > LHD Hamburg
                                12820006 – RHD? > RHD South Africa - Jburg
                                12820007 – RHD > My car (KENYA) RHD

So the bad news is I missed by 1 car, my early sister 12820006 sold to South Africa is the first RHD 68 model. OK so I maybe can have the first Polo Red with a 5 speed sold into Africa?
                                12820006 – RHD? > RHD South Africa - Jburg
                                Paint: Polo Red 6802A
                                Interior: red leatherette
                                Gearbox type: 902/02

Nope.......so great news! I have the first RHD 68 model 912 in the world with Back Trim.

Comment

Working...
                                X