Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early RHD 911/912 dashboards

Good morning.

Is it correct that all 65-68 RHD 911 & 912's were produced/delivered with the dashboard having 5 external chrome screws (2 each side and one near the centre) in addition to the front bolts going through to the trunk or were these screws added later as part of a dash recovering or because of the dash becoming out of shape?

Quick search I can't find any dash photos of members of such cars.

(p.s. my 66 912 does)

cheers

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 11.20.20.png
    Mark Evans
    1966 912 5 gauge
    1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

………..
    Last edited by 9er; 12-05-20, 03:15 PM.

Comment

My 67 del 68 has same as Mark is suggesting.
      Checkout Geoff's dash in his 912 thread,I can see a center screw on his car.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by mrar; 12-05-20, 01:51 PM.
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks Chris.

This 68S currently at Duttons has screws on a dash that looks original from the photo.

I just got my dash on the 912 recovered and with the front bolts it sits down well. I was thinking not to put back the 5 screws that were there before.
        Mark Evans
        1966 912 5 gauge
        1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

;,,,,,,,,,,
          Last edited by 9er; 12-05-20, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for photo Sean.

BTW; the full red leather put on the dash 20 years got to much for me. So I took it to one of the best upholstery guys in Melbourne (Bill Moussa) to get the leather recoloured black and he said the recovering done so poorly that it must come off - so off it came. Now, what do I do about the screws?
            Mark Evans
            1966 912 5 gauge
            1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

:...…….
              Last edited by 9er; 12-05-20, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Chris.

I have read somewhere a theory that the screws are were only on early RHD cars to 68 but not LHD's because the RHD dashes had different fixing at the front, across the width of the dash compared to LHD's
                Mark Evans
                1966 912 5 gauge
                1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Last edited by 9er; 12-05-20, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9er View Post
                    I can find you the thread on ESR where this was discussed but the main dispute was at what point in 1965 did screws desist.
                    If there are screws on a 68 someone has added them.
                    I will try to put up a picture of the dash from my 1965 car to show you the later fixing method.
                    That's a bit of a blanket statement Chris. Never say never with old Porsche.
                    I can only show what's in my car a present.
                    Will dig up some others later but here is one I had in a folder, Uk s I think, you can see the center and just make the rh screw.
                    P5260990_1000.JPG
                    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by SportoEvans View Post
                      Thanks for photo Sean.

BTW; the full red leather put on the dash 20 years got to much for me. So I took it to one of the best upholstery guys in Melbourne (Bill Moussa) to get the leather recoloured black and he said the recovering done so poorly that it must come off - so off it came. Now, what do I do about the screws?
                      Yeh, It was pretty full on.
                      Do some more research on the screws.
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks Sean.

Chris - my dash (production date: 18 May 1966) has similar studs yours except not that third stud, slightly further away from the edge.

Anyway, on both there doesn't seem to be any fixing points for the front part of the dash, ie. facing the driver/passenger.

LHD's have 5 slots across the front metal frame (see photo) that accept clips from the "front" part of the dash (i.e. that part of the dash facing passengers) to hold the dash tight in.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 14.37.47.png

My 912 doesn't have these slots.

I wonder if many, most or all 65 to 68 RHD cars don't either - hence the factory inserting the 5 chrome screws instead.

Then, as some early RHD cars had their dashes recovered the screws holes in the old dash were simply covered by the new vinyl.

Or maybe many found that the newly recovered dash sat OK with just the 2 front studs, especially as many dash recovers were a bit thicker than the originals meaning everything was a tighter fit.

​​​​​​​the research continues!
                        Mark Evans
                        1966 912 5 gauge
                        1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Last edited by 9er; 12-05-20, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrar View Post

Yeh, It was pretty full on.
                            Do some more research on the screws.

I can thank covid-19 and being at home for my interior refresh. It all started 3 weeks ago with an innocent chat about colouring the red dash black and, as everyone knows, its hard to stop at just one thing on these old cars.

Then, whilst the dash was being recovered, I pulled off the old wooden trim (that was painted black) and not correct for a 912 anyway and put on a new brushed aluminum dash trim set.

I also pulled out the instruments, took them apart and cleaned them, then painted the dash Wurth black satin.

Next, I am going to respray the headliner ivory as black is too dark (as well as not being correct).

This will require some planning and serious masking. I bought the correct SEM vinyl paint for the job from Variety Paints in your neck of the woods!
                            Mark Evans
                            1966 912 5 gauge
                            1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Here is a UK delivered Feb 66 build 911 with dash screws.

Screenshot 2020-05-12 at 15.06.07.png
                              Mark Evans
                              1966 912 5 gauge
                              1968 Mercedes Benz 280SL

Comment

Working...
                              X