Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1970 2.2S Project

Hi all.

I need to tap into the collective wisdom.

I’m in the process of planning the assembly of my 2.2 S. It’s just about to get its first coat of Silbermetall. Engine and gearbox are done and impatiently waiting at Autoart ...

Its a March 1970 build date. I have the Kardex. It’s LHD and German delivered

My question relates to some of the option codes.

They are listed as

425 which is rear wiper
    427 - can’t locate other than it’s said to relate to a 924 ...
    430 - rectangular yellow fog lights
    433 - leather steering wheel
    452 - Blaupunkt Frankfurt
    470 - codes don’t make sense but some references say “without spoilers including Turbo look” so that doesn’t fit
    471 - this is the interesting one as it’s obviously related to the RS but I have also found “sport group 1”

Any information or insights would be very helpful.

Last edited by Skidmarks; 23-09-20, 10:05 AM.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Some pics

Comment

M 427: is the stainless steel muffler skirt . . . a rare but cool option

M 470: Comfort group for T-model: (doesn't really make sense as an option code for a 2.2S . . . you would have this as standard)
        • Velouren carpeting
        • Gold ”Porsche” nameplate and model number
        • Aluminium door sills
        • 911S rubber mouldings on bumpers and below doors
        • Chrome rocker panels
        • 911S instruments
        • Rubber bumperettes
        • Leather covered steering wheel
        Last edited by npvpositive; 23-09-20, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmarks View Post
          Hi all.

I need to tap into the collective wisdom.

I’m in the process of planning the assembly of my 2.2 S. It’s just about to get its first coat of Silbermetall. Engine and gearbox are done and impatiently waiting at Autoart ...

Its a March 1970 build date. I have the Kardex. It’s LHD and German delivered

My question relates to some of the option codes.

They are listed as

425 which is rear wiper
          427 - can’t locate other than it’s said to relate to a 924 ...
          430 - rectangular yellow fog lights
          433 - leather steering wheel
          452 - Blaupunkt Frankfurt
          470 - codes don’t make sense but some references say “without spoilers including Turbo look” so that doesn’t fit
          471 - this is the interesting one as it’s obviously related to the RS but I have also found “sport group 1”

Any information or insights would be very helpful.
          The standard S in 1970 was a "homologation" car that was stripped out of luxury things normally found in an S to save weight for homololgation purposes
          then they had an option (that MOST cars had) to add the "luxury" items from the E back in - that was M470. this was a one year only situation , after 1970 they went to the M471 option to delete luxury items like in the RS.
          so that option shows that it was NOT a homolgation car but had the usual luxury items like proper carpet etc in it
          M425 is Rear Window Wiper System as you note
          M427 is " rear bumper protection" - the stainless steel skirt under the rear of the car
          M430 yellow quartz rectangular under bumper (fog) lights
          M433 White over bumper halogen (fog) lights

M452 - Blaupunkt Frankfurt
          M471 I have only in a 1971 MY list of options as "sports equipment (only 911S Coupe) not with US equipment" I am not sure if this relates to all of the things stripped out of the base 1970S like the M470 does or not. it is most likely to be a package of extra "sporty" things
          I also have this showing elsewhere as the btwo stage rear window but the 1970 71 options and accessories book shows that option as M436
          Last edited by HughH; 23-09-20, 01:32 PM.
          Hugh Hodges
          1973 E
          Australian TYP 901 Register #005
          Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Hi Hugh, one source says M471 is the two-stage electrically heated & clear rear window . . . another (USA) says M471 is the Competition Options Group! The second one certainly sounds sexier.

M471 seems to refer to a rare "lightweight version" of the 911 that could be ordered for competition. See post 44 and others here:
            uhh, this is hot... 1969 Porsche 911 S Factory Rally Chassis no. 119300932 Engine no. 6390010 Rally, Tour de France, Le Mans... http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1072229

Attached Files
            Last edited by npvpositive; 23-09-20, 02:02 PM.

Comment

No Nick
              that was the change between 1970 MY and 1971 MY
              in 1970 the standard car was a stripped down one and you had option M470 to put the trim back in (essentially the same as the comfort option on the T)
              in 1971, after homologating the car in 1970, they reverted to the standard S being a full trim car and then used M471 to delete options to take it back to a lightweight or used both M471 and M491 to turn it into a full house ST track car. This practice continued in 1972 with ST's and 1973 with RS's
              that list you have posted is for 1971 (like most of the ones I have)
              Last edited by HughH; 23-09-20, 02:39 PM.
              Hugh Hodges
              1973 E
              Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Makes sense Hugh . . . trust Porsche to charge customers extra for not including the full trim! Some things never change.
                Last edited by npvpositive; 23-09-20, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks Hugh and Nick.

What you say makes sense and looking at the Kardex, the 471 is the the clear rear window with the 2 stage heating. Says HEIZB.HECKSCH.WEISS. 2STUFIG.
                  THE 470 says COMFORT AUSSTATTUNG.

So it looks like is was a homologation car.

Which is good as I’m missing some interior bits so going a little “sports purpose” until I accumulate/locate.

I will be looking for those 430 and 433 fog lights though so anyone who has a lead (or some) let me know.

Have seen cars with the 427 fitted and yes, looks the goods. Search now also on!

Really appreciate the feedback.
                  Last edited by Skidmarks; 23-09-20, 03:34 PM.

Comment

No yours HAS the option M470 which has the luxury bits added in - the real "homologation cars" or "S lightweights" are identified by NOT having that option of the Kardex

But that is no reason why you should not turn it back to a more lightweight spec
                    Hugh Hodges
                    1973 E
                    Early 911S Register #776

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post
                      No yours HAS the option M470 which has the luxury bits added in - the real "homologation cars" or "S lightweights" are identified by NOT having that option of the Kardex

But that is no reason why you should not turn it back to a more lightweight spec
                      Thanks. It’s obvious when you think about it!

Comment

Originally posted by HughH View Post

I think I will. I found an aluminium engine lid and will go with the pull straps. Will keep the Recaro’s though. You can only go so far ...

Comment

This Forum is often referred to for its "collective wisdom" about these early cars. This thread exemplifies that description.
                          We are lucky to have the detailed knowledge of members like Hugh who can delve into the minutia about things that happened so many years ago.
                          sigpicPhil Lack
                          TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                          Early 911-S Registry # 690
                          R-Gruppe # 367
                          '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                          '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                          2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                          1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

This is a brand new Stainless Steel 3 pce Muffler Skirt to suit a LWB 911. One of the pics shows my 72 911E with the factory supplied muffler skirt. This is

https://www.autoforeignservices.com/ (lighting)

Have a look at these links.
                            Not sure if Phil still has his skirt.
                            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Am pretty sure I still have it for sale. Its an excellent repro and I do have an original one fitted to my 911E and the comparison between them is spot on. Marek made the repro units and I got an early example. Not sure if he is still making them but they were hand rolled and made by his artisans in eastern Europe.
                              sigpicPhil Lack
                              TYP901 Register Inc. # 002 (Founding President)
                              Early 911-S Registry # 690
                              R-Gruppe # 367
                              '72 911E 2.4 Coupe (SOLD)
                              '15 MB CLA 250 Sport Shooting Brake - daily
                              2012 BMW 1M Coupe 6-spd (for sale)
                              1974 FIAT 124 Sport coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X