Fuel Guage not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Guage not working.

After sitting out most of the last year, I filled her up yesterday and found that the fuel guage has not risen from empty, and even a spirited drive has made no difference, have checked the instrument attachment bits etc and can't see any corrosion or loose wires and cleaned the float terminals. Any clues??

Pull the float out of tank, it may be stuck with the lack of use. Bit of crap stopping the float moving maybe. Think that item 51 has the float in it from memory.
    Attached Files
    Kane Kennedy
    Typ 901 Register #204
    71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

16277145-00F5-4F63-978D-E6C7A76C040F.jpeg 44E787B2-F099-40FF-9952-FC4A2C555FC5.jpeg

Float is broken in top photo. Not my photos, just a goggle search, but gives you a idea, of what you will find, maybe a clean up and reinstall.
      Last edited by Kane k; 04-11-20, 09:11 PM.
      Kane Kennedy
      Typ 901 Register #204
      71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Thanks Kane, I will pull it out this afternoon and let you know the result,
        Cheers
        Paul M

Comment

OK so have had the sender out (easy job) taken the bottom off (not so easy but got there) and cleaned the inside, Float seemed stuck at the bottom so pushed it up and down and wd40'd it, float moved ok so reinstalled but no movement at the guage. Will have a look at the float itself in the next day or two now that I have gained some confidence in pulling it apart. Good news is that with the contact cleaning the clock has reactivated!! Will report back then. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by PCM911T View Post
            OK so have had the sender out (easy job) taken the bottom off (not so easy but got there) and cleaned the inside, Float seemed stuck at the bottom so pushed it up and down and wd40'd it, float moved ok so reinstalled but no movement at the guage. Will have a look at the float itself in the next day or two now that I have gained some confidence in pulling it apart. Good news is that with the contact cleaning the clock has reactivated!! Will report back then. Thanks again.
            With the sender unit removed maybe connect the wire and manually move the float - does the gauge move? (you will need ignition on). Just to eliminate other possible issues. A new sender may be the easy way out.

Comment

Thanks Kane and Robin, the contacts inside the sender were corroded and loose and despite a cleanup etc it's a no go. I'll get the wiring checked to the gauge but it looks like the sender has given up after 50 years - so can't complain.
              Cheers
              Paul M

Comment

Nice work........you’ve diagnosed the problem, drop a new sender in. Problem sorted.
                Kane Kennedy
                Typ 901 Register #204
                71 911E Metallic Green

Comment

Fixed!!! New gauge and gasket from Germany delivered by Porsche Centre Melbourne within 7 days. Excellent service from Prasan in PCM Classic spares.

Comment

Working...
                  X