Car accident uninsured

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car accident uninsured

Got involved in an accident last week in a vehicle that was uninsured. Anybody been in this scenario and know of a motor vehicle solicitor to recommend?

other party has lodged a claim through insurance and I presume to get a letter of demand in the mail at some point.

other party’s van had entered my lane without sufficient space and scraped his rear left quarter in front of the wheel arch on my bumper’s front right at less than 5km/hr while I was stationary.

any advice appreciated!

hey mate

just checking:

1. the car you were driving was uninsured
    2. the other vehicle (van) was insured
    3. you were stationary when the accident occurred

if all that is correct, it seems hard to argue that you are at fault if you were stationary. therefore their insurance company should be covering the repair of their vehicle plus yours.

if it was me i wouldn't bother dragging your own solicitor into it (at your own cost presumably) until their insurance company shows that they are not going to cover fixing your car.

if you know who the insurer is, i'd get on the phone to them rather than waiting for snail mail.

Richard Griffiths
    1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Much the same thoughts as Richard and I would simply get a quote to fix your car and send the owner of the van a letter of demand, if you deem they are at fault. Plenty of form letters on the net, other party will then hand over the letter of demand to their insurer. Most insurers wont do anything until they receive a letter of demand and you don't need a solicitor at this point.
      Jeff Eelkema
      TYP 901 #132
      S-Reg #1431
      69E (project)
      various bevel Ducatis
      60s Vespa

Comment

Thank you and appreciate the replies

the above points are correct, I had indicated and just parked.

my thoughts were what if the van tells his insurance a different story that paints me at fault?

I was shocked when we got out of the car and he said that’s not my fault. I didn’t know what to say but ‘sorry how is this not your fault?’

whilst this case of him turning left into my lane without leaving sufficient space, I’m not sure how I’d fare against a team of people from an insurance company if he didn’t tell the true story.

id spoken to the main firms like s and g, Maurice and blackburn however they only deal with injury claims not car damage claims.

Comment

I trust you have some pics from location of cars etc, you lodge a letter of demand with the other driver which he will hand over to his insurer. Insurance assessors aren't fools and won't start legal action if it isn't clear cut. Stand your ground and keep insisting other driver was at fault. Worst case is you may have to settle with each party fixing their own vehicle.
          Jeff Eelkema
          TYP 901 #132
          S-Reg #1431
          69E (project)
          various bevel Ducatis
          60s Vespa

Comment

Working...
          X