Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2.4 MFI Engine Rebuild

Next New topic for 2021.
    Who would be the best companies to talk to about rebuilding my 2.4 engine? I have delt with Spencer at Harrisons RRR a few times. Who else is out there who does good work on these early engines? I have a good engine machinest, so getting work done shouldn't be a big issue. I don't want to throw heaps of money at it, but also am realistic in spending money for good parts. I just don't want to pay too much Porsche tax.
    My aim currently is to give it a mild power increase while keeping the original look to the engine, and to fix the damn oil leaks!.
    could anyone suggest a budget to get a 'basic' rebuild carried out.

Hi Lyndon,

I am using Michael Garner at Auto Art in Preston. He recently rebuilt my 2.7 MFI race motor and found him reasonably priced, and has the ability to service the MFI pumps etc. Having a dyno on site also helps with ensuring the run in process and tuning is fast tracked!

As for budget, it really depends on the parts that are needed once you pull it down. It could be $15k, it could be $25k+ depends on the bits and the machine work required.
    Alex Webster
    A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Inspired by Clyde's refresh of the engine bay of the golden child I intend to pull the motor on my 2.4E and give it a cosmetic once over.

The engine was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago and remains strong but we didnt touch the MFI, Simon thinking if it ain't broke ...

With the MFI now 48 years old and appearing untouched from new, even though it runs well is it time to service all of it as well ?
      Craig
      12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
      1972 2.4E Targa project
      1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by alexwebster View Post
        Hi Lyndon,

I am using Michael Garner at Auto Art in Preston. He recently rebuilt my 2.7 MFI race motor and found him reasonably priced, and has the ability to service the MFI pumps etc. Having a dyno on site also helps with ensuring the run in process and tuning is fast tracked!

As for budget, it really depends on the parts that are needed once you pull it down. It could be $15k, it could be $25k+ depends on the bits and the machine work required.
        Thanks Alex, will certainly give him a call and discuss. Having the ability to work on and tune the MFI, I think will be the biggest challenge I can see.

Comment

The other way to go is to send the MFI pump back to Germany, it is about a 6 week process, and it is costly, but it comes back like new, and they warrant the work. Again Michael organised last time, but I have the contract details now and they are helpful.
          Alex Webster
          A few Porsches in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by epilot View Post
            Inspired by Clyde's refresh of the engine bay of the golden child I intend to pull the motor on my 2.4E and give it a cosmetic once over.

The engine was completely rebuilt about 10 years ago and remains strong but we didnt touch the MFI, Simon thinking if it ain't broke ...

With the MFI now 48 years old and appearing untouched from new, even though it runs well is it time to service all of it as well ?
            Leave it alone is my experience
            Clyde Boyer
            TYP 901 Register Inc.
            President
            Early S Register Member #294

Comment

In most recent times I have had good experiences Modern Classic Porsche Services, Kane Hearn and Spencer all have rebuilt a motor for me.

Kane completely took my MFI pump,apart piece by piece, cleaned and put it back together with a new space cam. He has an old Bosche MFI test bench.

My only advice is don't make the mistake I did on one build by not using all new pistons and barrells, it bit me on the backside.

Machining for heads etc usually runs $4-5K
              New pistons and barrells $8k
              Restore throttle bodies correctly $4k
              Send pump to Bosche $6k

So your at $22k before you have gone too far and I have a figure in my head of $35k plus extras to do a full engine rebuild properly and not sure how you can get out of it cheaper to be honest unless you do a half baked job which is a waste of any money spent.

If you have access to machining then you can save some dollars for sure.
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post

Leave it alone is my experience
                Clyde, Thanks
                Craig
                12/1969 E based Vintage Racer
                1972 2.4E Targa project
                1973 911 2.4E for the road

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
                  ...I have a figure in my head of $35k plus extras to do a full engine rebuild properly...
                  So that sounds more like a realistic rebuild budget of $40k then?
                  Richard Griffiths
                  1970 911T 2.8

Comment

Originally posted by griffiths_r View Post

So that sounds more like a realistic rebuild budget of $40k then?
                    If your going the whole hog on an MFI car can't see how you could do it for less unless your capable of doing it yourself.
                    Clyde Boyer
                    TYP 901 Register Inc.
                    President

Comment

Clyde, by your figures that would suggest a carb'd motor would come out around 30-35K, depending on the 'extras' going into it?
                      Paul Wischer
                      1969 911T
                      1979 Californian Moke
                      TYP 901 Register Member #77

Comment

I expect so Paul if someone else was doing all the work and more like the $35k end
                        Clyde Boyer
                        TYP 901 Register Inc.
                        President

Comment

Working...
                        X