identifying engine grille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

identifying engine grille

Can anyone advise which year pre 1973 did the 911 engine lid grille have 2 holes in each of 2 bars no 7 and 8 from the top to mount the engine capacity badge. I cannot see any Porsche stampings on the frame, I doubt it has been drilled at a later stage. My 1972 has the 2.4 badge held by a single pin. Nev

Hi Nev,
    I have two 72 grilles with 2.4 badge on 7/8 bars.
    Both have two holes per bar (4 for badge mount).
    See pics. 20210219_105101.jpg 20210219_105043.jpg
    Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Here is an original 2.7 grille too.
      20210219_110134.jpg
      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Shaun would take a pic but I struggle to load them something to do with the size. The one on my car seems to be like your pic 2 although I haven't tried to extract the pin that holds the 2.4 in place. The grille I have does not have the plate mounted behind the grille slats/ Just four very small holes indents that have I think been filled with paint when I sprayed it. I am starting to think maybe the mount for the engine capacity has been very neatly pried off. Spacing between the indents/holes is 70mm.

Comment

Should have a plate Neville
          Clyde Boyer
          TYP 901 Register Inc.
          President
          Early S Register Member #294

Comment

Originally posted by Terminator View Post
            Should have a plate Neville
            Not sure about that.
            Both those grilles above have 4 melted studs holding the capcity numbers in place on my grilles.
            If Nev has the 70mm hole filled with paint on 7/8 maybe his badge has been removed at some stage.
            Never say never with porsche tho.
            810-00.gif
            Aus del 68 911S

Comment

My understanding is that all grilles had the plate when they left the factory however later "spare part" grilles were sold by Porsche without the plate
              Clyde Boyer
              TYP 901 Register Inc.
              President
              Early S Register Member #294

Comment

I bought the grille from Adam and believe it came with the pieces he got with his Hong Kong delivered typ 901. It was grey and faded when I got it for my G series but now I have bought the correct one and I have taken it off the car.

Comment

I have what I think are most likely original to the cars.... lucky or unlucky with 3 cars and another grille (2x72/2x73+)
                  They must of been all changed out for "spare part" grilles.
                  Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Hi Sean Did you mean to ad pics or explain, were you referring to the photos you already loaded? I have managed to clear the filler out of the 4 holes they are very very small and I cannot see where the steel mesh has been peeled back to get a plate out of the entrapment unless it was slid down and pried out between the bars,

Comment

Hi Nev,
                      Ones I already loaded.
                      All the ones I have have the 4 holes to take the 4 mounting pins that appear to of been peened at rear to fix to the bars. The badge must of been fitted before the mesh was attached in factory.
                      Your badge may have been chiseled off.

How did you get on with your Sc, I saw it on carsales?
                      Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Sean
                        Overrun, ended up selling to a club member full tote after The Healey Factory offered to buy it back at asking price. Great car, great history very high km's and the last paint job, which must have been back in the 90's, the galvanising had not been prepped and sealed properly and needed a lot of attention. The boot still had the holes from the rubber spoiler and the relocation of the SC badge. Ended up with about 4 serious buyers on an as is where is basis. What I can say is there are lots of cashed up buyers out there prepared to jump on a good thing. A few spoke to one of the guys that has worked on my cars that gave them comfort in buying sight unseen. Did have a strong inspection by a Porsche fanatic but he was not prepared to pay the asking.
                        Needed to make room for a very nice Australian delivered matching numbers 1972 Alfa 2000 GT Veloce with a genuine 57,000 miles in Giall0 Yellow. Something that I have the ability to work on mechanically that I lack with the Porsche's engine and gearbox wise. Will be keeping the Turbo and the T at this stage. Nev

Comment

Originally posted by klasikcis View Post
                          Sean
                          Overrun, ended up selling to a club member full tote after The Healey Factory offered to buy it back at asking price. Great car, great history very high km's and the last paint job, which must have been back in the 90's, the galvanising had not been prepped and sealed properly and needed a lot of attention. The boot still had the holes from the rubber spoiler and the relocation of the SC badge. Ended up with about 4 serious buyers on an as is where is basis. What I can say is there are lots of cashed up buyers out there prepared to jump on a good thing. A few spoke to one of the guys that has worked on my cars that gave them comfort in buying sight unseen. Did have a strong inspection by a Porsche fanatic but he was not prepared to pay the asking.
                          Needed to make room for a very nice Australian delivered matching numbers 1972 Alfa 2000 GT Veloce with a genuine 57,000 miles in Giall0 Yellow. Something that I have the ability to work on mechanically that I lack with the Porsche's engine and gearbox wise. Will be keeping the Turbo and the T at this stage. Nev
                          Healey must of seen value in it as did the new owner.
                          I liked the ad and the car, perfect drivers car.
                          Well done Nev!.
                          Look forward to seeing pics of the new steed.
                          Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Originally posted by klasikcis View Post
                            Hi Sean Did you mean to ad pics or explain, were you referring to the photos you already loaded? I have managed to clear the filler out of the 4 holes they are very very small and I cannot see where the steel mesh has been peeled back to get a plate out of the entrapment unless it was slid down and pried out between the bars,
                            Here is some more info Nev.

Aus del 68 911S

Comment

Thanks Sean That is 100% how my grille looks so the badge and plate can be successfully removed, which is what has happened to the one I have. Case closed Nev

Comment

Working...
                              X